2019 Gravel Guide
On this page you’ll find:
Inspiring recaps of great gravel rides — from Banks to Burns, Salem to Scappoose, and everything in between.
A list of the best gravel-related events and rides.
Photos to get you inspired.
Riding clubs, route-finding resources, and gravel-friendly businesses.
Inspiring Ride Recaps
– 600-mile ‘Emerald Outback’ event will traverse Oregon Coast Range
– When moms escape: Tackling the unpaved Trask River Road route to the coast
– A taste of gravel in the Tillamook State Forest
– With ‘Skull’ event, Burns stakes a claim as America’s best gravel riding destination
– Gravel ‘Epic’ lures riders to Oregon Coast Range and delivers on promises
– Love riding gravel? Meet Washington County’s unpaved road “Kahuna” Dan Morgan
– Finding heaven on the Hell of the North Plains
– To the Oregon coast and back via Nestucca River Road
– A return to Timber’s snowy, logjammed backroads
– One century to rule them all – (Bacona Road and Stub Stewart singletrack)
– Exploring the ‘dark’ side of Larch Mountain
– In search of Hobo Joe
– Exploring the Gifford Pinchot National Forest ‘Hinterland’
– Gorge backroads delight on the Dalles Mountain Mutiny
– Exploring Barney Reservoir and rugged timber roads west of Forest Grove
– A dispatch from The Dalles
– McMenamins Grand Lodge as a base camp for biking adventures around Forest Grove
– The Gifford Gravel 50, an exhilirating day in the saddle
– Scappoose to the Banks-Vernonia Trail via logging roads
– Columbia County’s Burn Road Loop traces pioneer history
– Finding (and grinding) gravel in Salem
– Exploring Columbia County backroads outside of Scappoose
– A gravel riding goldmine in eastern Oregon
– The gear that got me through the Oregon Outback
– The Oregon Outback was the hardest — and best — ride I’ve ever done
2019 Gravel Rides, Races, and Events
– Gorge Gravel Grinder – 4/7 (Breakaway Promotions)
– Yamhill Gravel Fondo – 4/20 (Zone 5 Promotions)
– Cascade Gravel Grinder Day 1 – 4/26 (Breakaway Promotions)
– Cascade Gravel Grinder Day 2 – 4/27 (Breakaway Promotions)
– Cascade Gravel Grinder Day 3 – 4/28 (Breakaway Promotions)
– Ochoco Gravel Roubaix – 8/24
– Oregon Coast Gravel Epic (5/5/2018)
Resources | Clubs | Services
– RideWithGPS: The place to organize, plan, and find your routes.
– Our Mother the Mountain: Also follow them via RideWithGPS.
– Coastal Mountain Sporthaus
– Unpaved Google Group: Active list full of advice, tips, and ride offerings.
– TREO Bike Tours Eastern Oregon
– Dirt Surfers
– Bucky Rides: Website of James Buckroyd featuring product reviews, great photos and epic routes all over the Portland region.
Special thanks to our 2019 Gravel Guide Partners: