BikePortland is a news company that covers transportation in the Portland region.
BikePortland started as the “Bike Fun” blog written for OregonLive (the online arm of The Oregonian) by Jonathan Maus in April 2005. In July 2005, Maus launched BikePortland as its own site. In 2007, BikePortland incorporated under the name Pedaltown Media Inc. We are a private, for-profit news outlet.
Our staff includes; Editor & Publisher Jonathan Maus, Reporter Taylor Griggs, Assistant Editor/SW Correspondent Lisa Caballero, and Family Biking Columnist Shannon Johnson. Ryan Packer is our special correspondent for the Interstate Bridge Replacement Project.
The site is supported by subscribers and advertisers. In 2021 we received our first equity stake investment. You can join our team by becoming a supporter today!
Awards and Recognition
- Won 1st Place, General News Reporting – 2015 Society of Professional Journalists Northwest Excellence in Journalism Contest
- Won 2nd Place, Business Reporting – 2015 Society of Professional Journalists Northwest Excellence in Journalism Contest
- Named “Best Local Blog” in the 2016 & 2017 Willamette Week Reader’s Poll
- Ranked #1 cycling blog in the world by Blogmetrics and by London Cyclist (2009)
- Named the #1 online news source in Portland for discussing city government in 2010 (City of Portland sponsored audit by White Horse Consulting, as reported in the Portland Mercury)
- Jonathan Maus was named one of 50 Most Influential Portlanders by Portland Monthly Magazine in 2011.
- BikePortland was given a Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition For Outstanding and Valuable Service to the Community by U.S. Congressman Earl Blumenauer at our 10th birthday party in 2015.
- Founder Jonathan Maus received an Alice B Toeclips Award from the Bicycle Transportation Alliance for “Opening roads and minds to bicycling” in 2007. Watch his acceptance speech below:
In the Media
A tiny sample of the hundreds of media stories that have covered BikePortland and founder Jonathan Maus over the years.
- BikePortland’s Jonathan Maus on how the city has lost its cycling leadership edge (Portland Business Journal, August 2018)
- Bike Portland celebrates 10 years as a treasure trove of Portland bike culture (Willamette Week, September 2015)
- BikePortland.org is go-to site for bicycling news (Portland Business Journal, May 2013)
- Talk Box: Bike Tourism in Oregon (KGW-TV, May 2013)
- Jonathan Maus: Bike Advocacy, Journalism, and the Struggle for Balance (The Bicycle Story, April 2013)
- New York After Hurricane Sandy Through the Lens of a Portland Bike Journalist (Portland Bureau of Emergency Management, November 2012)
- Your Voice Your Vote: Licenses for bicyclists? (KATU-TV, September 2012)
- Bike blogger’s route takes a write turn (Portland Tribune, August 2012)
- Bike Portland’s Jonathan Maus keeps the gears turning on the city’s two-wheeled vision (Street Roots, July 2010)
- Blogger rallies the biking faithful, and City Hall blinks (The Oregonian, May 2007)