Old Town Pizza now brews beer, and will deliver it to you by bike

Posted by on April 26th, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Old Town’s head brewer Scott Guckel is ready to quench your thirst.
(Photos: Old Town Brewing)

Portland’s Old Town Pizza (with locations in Old Town and northeast) has recently gotten into the beer business and, just like they’ve done for years with their pizzas and salads, their new Old Town Brewing company will deliver beer by bike.

Little known fact*: Portland’s plan for building
a network of bike boulevards is to facilitate
the safe transport of beer by bike.
(*kidding)

Owner Adam Milne tells us the service will launch next week. Once it’s up and running, his staff will pedal either a keg or a 64 ounce growler to your home or office via his fleet of bakfiets with a simple phone call. Old Town Brewing is making and delivering a pale ale, an IPA, a stout, an Irish red, a winter ale, a porter, and a pilsner.

Costs are $150 for a delivered keg and $10 for a 64 ounce growler plus the cost of the growler container (about $5). “Like milk,” Milne says, “we will swap out growlers at no cost if they return an empty one.”

Delivery is only available for folks who live within a two mile radius around each Old Town Pizza location (226 NW Davis or 5201 NE MLK Jr Blvd).

While many local businesses use cargo bikes to deliver products, and we’ve got a few beer bikes in operation, I’m not aware of any other restaurants in Portland delivering beer by bike. Nice one Adam! I look forward to seeing these beer-laden rigs rolling around town.

Comments
  • 9watts April 26, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Freight by bike is the future! We don’t need oil.

• Chris I April 26, 2012 at 2:26 pm

And vegetable oil for the chain.

• Alan 1.0 April 27, 2012 at 11:07 am

E7.5 flex-fuel

• SilkySlim April 26, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Office delivery of beer. America!

• Shetha April 26, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Wow – $10 for a growler fill? That sounds like a screamin deal to me! Just leave my growler on the front porch and it’ll be filled when I come home from work? What’s the catch!?!?!? (I’ve been daydreaming about this day… for years! Glad I’m clearly not the only one!)

• Shetha April 26, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Oh I found the catch… 2 mile radius :-/

• Kev April 26, 2012 at 5:45 pm

A growler is less than a six pack. usually I can get growler fills for $5-9 as long as I am not buying the growler itself.

• martin April 27, 2012 at 7:50 am

Who fills up growlers for $5? I thought the cheapest in the area was in Gresham for $6 (but only on Sundays) and the 2nd cheapest was Plew’s in St. Johns at $7.

• whyat April 26, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I’ve had the irish red and pale ale, and they are well made session beers. I thought the quality was much higher than another new restaurant brewery, whom I won’t name (but it rhymes with ‘tire on the fountain’). Wish I lived in the delivery area.

• borgbike April 26, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I was looking for a beer review to follow up with this story. Thanks1

• Jason April 26, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Wow. I didn’t think it was legal to home deliver beer.

• Suburban April 26, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I, too, thought OLCC would have none of this. There is a very big piece of information missing from this article.

• OTPman April 27, 2012 at 1:05 am

I work at Old Town Pizza and it’s all legitimate. This isn’t 100% certain but I believe you have to call in the order before 5pm. I think we can still deliver it until late but the order has to be put it then. But it’s well worth it, Guckel is a wizard.

• aaron April 27, 2012 at 7:43 am

Yes! I’m 1.1 miles away!

• evan April 28, 2012 at 5:40 pm

my head might explode with excitement about the livability of my community. my beer community.