Over 2,000 Cycle Oregon riders set for coastal journey

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on September 8th, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Cycle Oregon Day 5 - Glendale to Grants Pass-26
I'll miss Cycle Oregon this year.
(Self portrait)

The massive rolling spectacle that is Cycle Oregon embarks on it 24th annual journey this Sunday (9/11). For the first time since the inaugural running in 1988, the seven-day ride will spend multiple days on the beautiful Oregon coast.

About 2,200 riders will participate, along with a support crew that numbers well into the hundreds.

Back in February when the route was announced and registration opened up, the ride sold out in less than two days. To get an idea of why, here's the route description:

After leaving Sutherlin, the ride will head north along bucolic back roads to Cottage Grove on Day 1. On Day 2 the route veers west through Lorane and along the pristine Siuslaw and Smith Rivers to Reedsport. Day 3 heads south down the coast, diverting from Highway 101 to take in Charleston, Shore Acres State Park and Cape Arago before following Seven Devils Road to Bandon. A layover day in Bandon offers an optional ride down a peaceful stretch of 101 to picturesque Port Orford. The route heads inland through lush pastures to the forested beauty and isolation of Powers on Day 5, and then up and over the week’s major climb on Day 6 before descending to the thriving mill town of Riddle. On Day 7 the route winds through a verdant wine region before returning to Sutherlin.

Sounds fantastic doesn't it?

The best part is that Cycle Oregon is much more than just a ride. The event helps give an economic boost to the small towns it travels through (both in the form of direct investment from hungry and happy riders and in the form of payments by Cycle Oregon for hosting duties), and the non-profit behind the ride doles out over $100,000 a year to various projects and advocacy initiatives throughout the state.

I did Cycle Oregon in 2006, 2007, and 2009. I remember hauling my camera and lenses on my back during each day's ride and then scrambling around tiny towns looking for wi-fi connections to share photos and post stories. These days, Cycle Oregon has a "blogmobile" set up with computers and wi-fi... my how things change!

I won't be on the ride this year. How about you?

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • K'Tesh September 8, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I wish I was able to go :(

• Paul Souders September 8, 2011 at 4:12 pm

The Oregon Coast Route makes an excellent solo tour too. I did it in 2002, my second day I rode 60 mi which was the longest I'd ever ridden in my life.

• Erin Kelley September 8, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I'll be on the ride this year! It'll be my 3rd CO (I did 2002 and 2004) and my first time riding down that portion of the Oregon coast. Very excited. Sorry you can't make it, Jonathan!

• rootbeerguy September 8, 2011 at 4:25 pm

i did 1989... it was awesome. best tour i ever rode...

PDX-MT Hood-Warm Springs-Bend-MT Bachelor-Sun River-Crater Lake-Ashland.

• SilkySlim September 8, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Wow, that's an awesome route. I did a shortened version (in reverse) last summer: Ashland - Crater Lake - Oakridge - Breitenbush Hot Springs.

• David September 8, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Yep! I was on 2004 and 2009 also. This'll be the second year I ride a recumbent

• Oliver September 8, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I was talking to some loggers from Myrtle Creek last night. They were all smiles telling me all about the rattle snakes we're likely to encounter on the day 6, South Fork Coquille/Cow Creek leg.

• Mark September 8, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I'll be volunteering again this year. After riding for seven years this will be my seventh year as a volunteer. I think volunteering is as much fun as riding, and as much work for many of the volunteer jobs. Stop by Rider Services and say hi.

• Jerry_W September 8, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I'll be on the ride this year, the weather is looking perfect and the route is fantastic. Bring on those rattlesnakes, we'll have them for lunch!!
    I was also on 2007, best ride in Oregon!!!

• Joe September 8, 2011 at 7:27 pm

those shades are fresh ! :)

• Martin M September 8, 2011 at 7:36 pm

This will be our fourth ride (2005, 2007, 2009 are others). We started as a group of three friends - we're now up to nine. If you let it, it's a life changing event. Ride on!!

• bikesalot September 8, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Never been on CO - out of my price range. Especially when you multiply by two for a couple. Still kind of amazes me how much faster the big rides are selling out lately in these tough economic times. Perhaps the folks who usually jet to Europe find that doing these rides is actually cutting back from their usual fare?

• Chickie September 9, 2011 at 6:02 am

Before cell phones there use to be a truck pulling a trailer full of pay phones! @ bikesalot, CO is pretty cheap when you concider 3 meals a day, plus food at rest stops, entertainment every night, showers, baggage hauling and an opportunity to see this beautiful state.

• Jay September 9, 2011 at 7:23 am

lol surprised no one has said this yet. I'd do Cycle Oregon if it wasn't so expensive. Seriosly, it costs me more than a week in Cabo San Lucas partying.

• Ian September 9, 2011 at 9:34 am

I rode the route 3 weeks ago with a small group. After we split the cost it was about $115 per person (gas, food, and camping fees). Overall it is an excellent ride. Day 6 was probably my favorite.

• benn September 9, 2011 at 11:56 am

first time CO rider!!
    very excited about the route and looking forward to the climbs!

• Jackie Yerby September 10, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Excited to be riding my second Cycle Oregon. It's going to be a warm ride tomorrow.