Page Two
Welcome to Page Two; where we post tidbits that aren't quite ready for the Front Page. Want more? Browse the Page Two archives.

"Safe and Sound Streets" campaign moves forward with Town Halls

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on October 10th, 2007 at 2:15 pm

Commissioner Sam Adams continues his march toward finding a way to fund fixes to our transportation system with a series of Town Hall Meetings to discuss his "Safe and Sound Streets" campaign.

As he alluded to in my interview with him last week, Adams is facing a potential ballot measure next Spring to fund the initiative.

This campaign includes a major bicycle component to the tune of $24 million for 110 miles of new bicycle boulevards. Watch the Front Page of BikePortland.org for more coverage. For now, be sure to save the date for one of the following Town Halls...

Central Northeast Portland

11SW Vermont

Southeast Portland
    Tuesday October 30, 7-9 pm
    Sellwood Middle School
    8300 SE 15th Avenue

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • Spanky October 10, 2007 at 5:03 pm

Ah yes, Sam\'s effort to talk us into giving him more money to waste on aerial trams (don\'t ya just love the cost overruns?) and toylike streetcars!

I\'d be more inclined to listen to the City\'s increasingly strident jabbering about funding if they didn\'t so visibly waste tax dollars on poorly conceived high profile vanity projects and unneeded maintenance (like paving the street in front of my house last year even though it didn\'t need it - nary a pothole).

• a.O October 10, 2007 at 5:05 pm

You could always move to Houston. All they have their is roads and more roads. And stingy taxpayers. In fact, yeah, move to Houston.

• VR October 11, 2007 at 10:25 pm

Spanky,

Then go to the town hall and tell them your opinion and your priorities.

People can\'t complain if they are not willing to be part of the solution.

• Spanky October 14, 2007 at 7:43 pm

aO.: No thanks, I like it here just fine. In fact, since 1970. You?

I\'ve been to many, many belly button gazing festicals/town halls in many different contexts and have found them to be a uniform waste of time. Whether it be city \"government\" or the school district, or the federal government, they will do what they will do, and all I achieve by attending is wasting time I could be devoting to my family, or to my work - which I must attend to in order to pay the costs of living in this wonderful place, and the attendent taxes, set to rise as a result of folks at the city getting their rocks off on funsy projects instead of bread and butter maintenance. I\'ve been through the process before. They let you talk yourself to death and then they do what they onbviously wanted to do in teh first place regardless. Gee, think Sam will be mayor? Um, yeah. Think taxes are going to go up? Yeah. Neato a gas tax and a per capita type tax. And an out if you own a bike? Wonderful, I own eight, so that works fine for me!

Nothing said at any of the mettings will make a lick of differece. I learned years ago to submit my comments in writing with copies to all the people on the committee at hand. gthey just love hearing from \"stakeholders (gag!)

So a.O. - get a lot of clients off this site?

• k. October 19, 2007 at 4:28 pm

Spanky,

I disagree with you. I actually think the government here is fairly responsive. Of course if you are always in the minority, it will constantly seem that they are not responsive to you. Maybe this is your problem? Are you constantly in the minority on issues?