The Portland Wheelmen Touring Club (PWTC) wants to encourage families and novice riders to explore local bike routes and get more comfortable on group rides.
They’ve teamed up with River City Bicycles to offer a series of short, slow-paced rides that are perfect for families and/or novice riders.
PWTC family ride coordinator Ann Morrow says,
“We are really trying to help parents get out and ride with their kids – for the usual variety of reasons. However, these rides are also good for riders who aren’t experienced riders or baby boomers who aren’t ready for 30 miles but want to ride again or anyone who just wants the security of riding in a group and learning about some of the bike paths around town.”
The ten guided rides vary in length from 8-12 miles and will take participants throughout the Metro area and beyond. They start on July 22nd and go through October 14th. Here’s a list of what they have planned:
- July 22 – The End of the Springwater Trail
- July 28 – Smith and Bybee Lakes
- August 5 Columbia River Bike Path
- August 11 – Springwater on the Willamette
- August 25 – Willamette River Greenway Trail
- September 9 – Marine Drive Bike Path
- September 15 – Vancouver Lake/Columbia River
- September 29 – Portland Downtown Loop
- September 30 – Sauvie Island Loop & Pumpkin Patch
- October 14 – Banks/Vernonia Bike Trail
For full details, times, and other tips, check out the Family Rides page on the PWTC website.