Support BikePortland

Bike mechanic in Oregonian photo spread

Posted by on March 23rd, 2007 at 11:27 am

Tori Bortman, bike mechanic.
Image scanned from Oregonian

Local bike mechanic and bike polo promoter Tori Bortman made her way onto a full-page photo in a recent special section of the Oregonian that profiled how 40 Portlanders make their living.

You might remember Tori from a story I did on her last year. In addition to being a mechanic at the downtown Bike Gallery, Tori runs Gracie’s Wrench, a private bike repair school she runs from her home.

I’ve heard from alumni that the classes are great. I hope to take them myself and report back on the experience. If you’re interested, drop her an email at gracieswrench[at] gmail[dot]com or call (503) 460-2374.

In addition to teaching, Tori is also the lady behind Polo for the People, a beginner-friendly bike polo series that happens every week throughout the summer at Alberta Park in northeast Portland.

Cycle Oregon day 2 - Starkey camp scenes

And finally, I can’t resist sharing this photo from my archives. It shows Tori rocking out and getting down and dirty during at the bike rodeo during Cycle Oregon last year.

Sorry Tori! Congrats on making it into the paper.

Dat March 23, 2007 at 11:34 am

there is a original photo on flickr.

janis March 23, 2007 at 12:16 pm

You are SO awesome Tori! I loved taking her class…gives me a sense of independence to know that I can work on my own bike.

You ROCK! Cheers, janis

bArbaroo March 23, 2007 at 1:27 pm

Tori Rocks!

JeffH March 23, 2007 at 1:33 pm

Awesome! It’s great that Tori is getting public recognition for her work.

sh March 23, 2007 at 2:31 pm

OMG! Viva Tori!
    Not only is Bortman a great instructor, an apple fritter afficionado, and a super-stylie one on the skirt scene, she’s also the cutest wrench in town (don’t tell her i said that though).

Plus, she got a new bike, so she’s probably gonna be fast this year too — Bortman, i’m going ridin’ right NOW.

Mark Friesen March 23, 2007 at 3:08 pm

If you want to read the story, here’s a much better link that doesn’t split the story into a zillion pages:

beth h March 23, 2007 at 5:00 pm

Tori rocks my universe.
    Mmmmwah, girl!

Ayleen March 23, 2007 at 6:08 pm

And one other accomplishment under Tori’s already-full belt: She is also one of the four hosts of the KBOO Bike Show. In fact, Tori will be hosting the next program on April 4th which will feature Brett Flemming, General Service Manager for the Bike Gallery and Owner and proprietor of Efficient Velo tools. Brett will be on hand to answer all your mechanical questions.

Think Car Talk, only about bikes, and much cooler.

Alison March 25, 2007 at 7:53 pm

You go, Tori!

Congrats on some well-deserved recognition. As a woman mechanic you are a true inspiration. As a great person, you’re simply a lot of fun and I’m happy to share this great town with you.