Urban Tribe - Ride with your kids in front.

Cross season ends on muddy and memorable note

Posted by on December 3rd, 2006 at 9:41 pm

Held under clear, sunny skies on Sauvie Island — a rural paradise just north of Portland — the inaugural Kruger’s Crossing capped another wild and crazy Portland cyclocross season.

For a sport that revels in adverse conditions it’s fitting that the season ended on a course that challenged racers with thick, slippery, deep mud. Many sections of the course rendered pedaling useless and racers were forced to walk, run, or crawl their way to the finish.

Kruger's Crossing Cyclocross Race Kruger's Crossing Cyclocross Race

Race organizer Kris Schamp estimated around 50 derailleurs met their demise, their inner workings proved no match for the clumpy, hay-and-straw mud mixture. It was definitely a good day to ride a singlespeed.

Kruger's Crossing Cyclocross Race Kruger's Crossing Cyclocross Race

Regardless of their bikes, I don’t think any of the racers will soon forget their time in the Corn Maze. The entrance looked innocent enough, but once inside, it was all slime and stalks and there was no turning back.

[The corn maze claimed many victims.]

The owner of the farm, Don Kruger, was on hand to get a taste of cyclocross. He loved what he saw,

“I think my farm is perfect for an event like this…and this is my kind of crowd. I’d love to see this become a yearly tradition.”

Kruger's Crossing Cyclocross Race

While I spoke with Don, we watched mud-drenched racers chug bottles of beer as excited spectators roared in approval.

The crowds and the bonfire filled in the scene and although I’m a bit sad that the season has ended, it’s great to know we’ve got another classic event to look forward to next year.

Big thanks to Portland Racing and Team Veloshop who put on a fantastic event. Oh, and Team Beer wins the award for most spirit…or should that be for drinking the most spirits…oh nevermind.

Don’t miss the rest of the photos in the Kruger’s Crossing photo gallery.

NOTE: We love your comments and work hard to ensure they are productive, considerate, and welcoming of all perspectives. Disagreements are encouraged, but only if done with tact and respect. If you see a mean or inappropriate comment, please contact us and we'll take a look at it right away. Thank you.

• Dan Kaufman December 3, 2006 at 11:38 pm

Here is some video clips to go along with the great photos.

• Darren December 4, 2006 at 7:22 am

A great event at a great location. I loved it, my bike tolerated it. What a way to end a season. Congrats and thanks to Kris, Don and Veloshop. The extra hour of sleep was nice too.

• Jonathan Maus December 4, 2006 at 7:55 am

awesome video Dan..you really captured the feeling of the event, and I love the chit chat with you and your son ;-). look forward to that ’06 Cross season DVD!

• tonyt December 4, 2006 at 10:23 am

Kruger’s Crossing – Where derailluers go to die.

I can totally believe the 50 KIA derailluer count. I saw probably 15-20 of those.

VERY glad to be riding single speed.

• joel maus December 4, 2006 at 8:16 pm

looks like a great time– to attend!! Photos are amazing as always, Jonathan. Soon I will be calling you for photo advice! Job well, very well, done.

Cheers.

• barbara kilts December 4, 2006 at 8:36 pm

Fabulous fish-eyes!

• Darrin December 4, 2006 at 9:20 pm

The mud was… well… it sucked, my derailer survived it though, I saw many that didn’t. At least there is plenty of time to get things running before the next race.

• Anonymous December 6, 2006 at 1:38 pm

So…much…mud.Luckily for me my derailleur did not break, but half of each lap was spent running, walking, and jumping around with my bike on my shoulder or at my side.(I am not a track star,btw, and I wanted to be on my bike more, and pulling mud off my wheel/brakes/chain/derailleur less.)During the other half where I actually got to ride my bike I fell, rode into the corn field, or just barley managed to hold a line through some mud before, well, falling again. One cyclocross fan yelled out “Push it!” to me ,as I jogged by,my retort of “I am!”(literally) resulted in chuckles. There were high spirits despite the course’s domination and I think except for those whose bikes took too much of a beating, good times were had.