UPDATE: Yellow Car Program spotted downtown

[Photo by Ed Manning.]

*[Turns out this was just an art project. Read the comments to find out more.]

Just got a tip from a reader that someone is doing a Yellow Car Program in downtown Portland.

According the flyer in the window, it’s modeled on Portland’s Yellow Bike Program that was launched by the CCC back in the mid-1990s.

Our program was one of the first in the country but ultimately failed due to theft and vandalism.

My tipster said it’s no joke:

“I saw this car downtown and it had parking tickets all over. I watched someone get in and it started right up.”

The flyer is pretty funny. Here’s an excerpt:

“Why suffer through sitting next to under-medicated psych patients on the MAX?”

“Why fend off unwanted sexual advances and offers of drugs on the bus mall?”

“Why try to walk, only to get run down by a cellphone-distracted SUV driver speeding her way back home to Vancouver?”

“It’s like Flexcar without the needless bureaucracy!”

[Click to enlarge.]

Anyone can jump in the car, use it around town, and then leave it for someone else.

Not sure who’s behind this but I don’t think they’re a big fan of Flexcar or public transit. My hunch is that they know this is not going to work, but that they just want to make a point.

Notify of
guest

oldest
newest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
patrick(db)
16 years ago

That’s hilarious, but wasn’t April First, um, many months ago?

Adams Carroll (News Intern)
16 years ago

It’s no joke Patrick. The guy that tipped me off said he got in and it started right up…he also said it had parking tickets all over it!

etta-tron
etta-tron
16 years ago

the yellow bike program spurred on a few other semi-serious spin offs. The most notable one (that I remember) was the Yellow Appliance Project whereby appliances were painted yellow and left around NW. Toasters, washers, dryers, etc…all yellow, all adorning the streets of Portland.

A car though? wow…

pdxrocket
pdxrocket
16 years ago

Worst idea ever! This would be along the lines of having a program called “Yellow Firearm Program.” Just leave an unlicensed gun laying around so folks could pick it up and use it. Oh sure there will be those who might use it for sporting some elk, but then there are the lot who will use it for shooting up store fronts and hurting the innocent.

If this isn’t a joke…they are in for a world of hurt once an individual decides to run someone down after a night of heavy drinking (and trust me, it’s gonna happen).

SKiDmark
16 years ago

I think this is some sort of sarcastic statement about the hypocracy of Portland society. Sort of an interactive kinetic art installation.

no one in particular
no one in particular
16 years ago

When I saw it, there were two cops rifling through it. I was surprised to see it in the same location hours earlier! I assumed it would’ve been towed.

no one in particular
no one in particular
16 years ago

err.. I mean I saw it in the same location hours later, after the cops were going through it. Oops.

Ayleen
16 years ago

The Yellow Bikes Program (which CCC inherited) grew into another program, the Create a Commuter Program. The flaws of the Yellow Bikes were addressed in the new program, which has been so much more successful. Most notably, the program now includes ownership, lights, locks, helmets and training. Hundreds have benefitted from the program (event, I suspect, some folks who lurk here).

Dabby
Dabby
16 years ago

I would have to say that this is a liability nightmare,waiting to happen.
The only reasonable answer is that there is no way that this car is insured, or registered, or legal to drive. And let me tell you, the people on the road that care the least, ie, run down , or buzz cyclists, run lights, speed, etc…. are the same people who do not care enough, or do not have the capacity to handle, pay for and or follow up on insurance.
Which certainly puts this vehicle right into the hands of who would be looking for it, if it isn’t already in the hands of the police.
Bringing it round the turrkey and into your home,
Dabby

Mark
Mark
16 years ago

A thing of beauty. This will work. What’s not to like a city that gives away vehicles that run on petroline. Gas is passe’ anyway.

Artwork
Artwork
16 years ago

This is an art project of some sort. It has been locked with no keys in it all day. Most likely the person who got in and started it was the owner.

Nice idea and really funny. I’m glad no meth head decided to drive it around.

patrick
patrick
16 years ago

I think it’s an art exhibit. It’s in the Pearl near the Art College.

Kinetic Art Instalation….. I like the ring to that…..

No Pets
No Pets
16 years ago

hahaha! Hilarious…..the risk/danger of the situation is obviously an issue, but in the end it’s pretty funny!

Props to whoever pulled this one off!

eric
eric
16 years ago

From my office I can see it on the street. It’s been at the same location for at least two days solid. It’s an art project/statement. When I walked by it for lunch, it was locked – no keys.

Besides, think of the legal implications. Insurance is required to drive a vehicle. No way would this fly. And any legally insured vehicle is traceable to a person – who would be immediately sued the instant someone mowed down a ped/cyclist or used the car to commit a crime.

Good idea, though. Every time I look out at it, there are people hovering around it. Whatever it’s point is, it’s succeeding.

beth hamon
16 years ago

Yellow Cars were bound to happens ooner or later, as art OR as a colossal joke. Either way, it’s by far a more expensive proposition.

The best spin-off ever from the Yellow Bike program has to be the Yellow Exercise Bike Program.
I saw at least three of these chained to poles at various locations around inner SE and downtown Portland. They all worked, and on one occasion I watched as a guy actually hopped on and pedaled in place while talking on a cell-phone.

My next Yellow giveaway prediction: The Yellow Baby Stroller Program.