Man that's bright! Photos from 'Be Safe, Been Seen' event

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on November 10th, 2011 at 9:08 am

Mark Allyn (the "Master of Light") and Jim Parsons (last year's "Best-Lit Bike" award winner) show off their well-lit creations.

Last week, TriMet held their annual Be Seen, Be Safe event in Pioneer Square. The idea is to raise awareness about staying visible while walking and biking, introduce folks to hi-vis products, and inspire us to light up our bikes and our bodies.

Here are a few photos...

This guy won one of the awards with these custom, insanely bright LED floodlights powered by a car battery:

BTA staffer Carl Larson put on his safety vest to lead a bike ride through downtown:

And then there's Jim "K'Tesh" Parsons, a man from Beaverton who has won a bit of fame and made it his hobby to be as hi-vis as possible. On the front of his highly customized GT Mountain Bike Jim tells us he's installed: a NiteRider MiNewt 600 Cordless, NR TriNewt, NR MiNewt X2, NR MiNewt 200, L&M Stella 600 Dual , and 3x Planet Bike 5 LED Beamers...

Here's how it looks coming up to you on the road...

And on the rear...

Not satisfied with level of visibility, Jim also brought a trailer and towed a security guard on a Segway behind him (not really, but the photo sort of looks that way doesn't it?):

It gets dark out there very early these days folks. Let this post be a reminder to stay lit.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • Phil November 10, 2011 at 9:47 am

Being seen is very important. Being blinded by incoming bikes is annoying and dangerous. It all depends on where you're riding your bike. On a two (or more) lane road with traffic, go nuts with the lighting. When you're on MUPs, please point them down. Or don't use an industrial sized lamp. Or turn it down. Or switch off four of your five lights.

• K'Tesh November 10, 2011 at 10:54 am

I totally understand, and I don't run *ALL* the lights at night. My brightest lights are used in daylight these days (flash), or on their lowest (steady) setting at night, unless I'm in a high traffic area. Other lights are redundancies for longer night rides (flash or steady).

• Carl November 10, 2011 at 11:10 am

And while we're giving light etiquette tips, here's another: white lights go on the front and red ones go on the back. Bonus: it's the law!

Note: I have a red light clipped to the front of my vest in that picture. That was just to amaze/annoy people with the the PDW Radbot 500's dazzling "zZz, zZzPOP!" mode. We were offering them as a BTA membership incentive. Once I hit the road, I put the light on the back.

Thanks to everyone who helped organize this event, especially Martina Fahrner of Clever Cycles (who brought some actually-stylish reflective wear) and Marie Dodds of AAA (who reminded everyone that being seen requires attentive drivers who know what to look out for).

• gumby November 10, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Actually the law only requires that you have a white light in front and a reflector in back. Under the premise that that which is not expressly prohibited is legal, you should be able to place red lights wherever you want as long as you meet the other requirements. Here an article by Ray Thomas: http://www.stc-law.com/bikelighting.html

• sorebore November 10, 2011 at 9:47 am

COOL ! I have to have one of those new BOB Segway Power Boost trailer attachments! That is the best idea of implementation. And it is wonderful to see that the debut was her in good ol' Stumptown. Awesome.

• K'Tesh November 10, 2011 at 11:00 am

I tell you that I had to fire that guard... he wasn't pulling his weight ;)

• Christopher Guilfoil November 10, 2011 at 9:57 am

It is all very obnoxious, cute and bourgeois yes, but actually dangerous to oncoming bikers! I have often had to mask my eyes as these imbalances ride by.
    Let's use common sense and not be reactionaries.

• K'Tesh November 10, 2011 at 10:50 am

Slight correction... I'm riding a Trek these days, the GT went under the wheels of a car last spring.

• Spiffy November 10, 2011 at 1:12 pm

let me guess, they didn't see you...

• sorebore November 10, 2011 at 2:21 pm

HAHA. Spiffster in top form!

• K'Tesh November 10, 2011 at 2:29 pm

How'd you guess? It happened in broad daylight. :(

That's why I now ride with the NR MiNewt 600 in daylight.

• Hugh Johnson November 10, 2011 at 6:31 pm

I love that NR...great light. But careful around here, somebody might find it offensive.

• Thomas Le Ngo November 10, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Here are my photos from the event:

• Mike Fish November 10, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Seems like using a car battery to power a bike light is a bit regressive.

• dwainedibbly November 10, 2011 at 5:50 pm

If Less is More, just think how much more More would be. :)

I like it! Extremes and the publicity they generate get the subject in front of the public.