Portland has a new bike fashion start-up: Gear

Posted by on December 22nd, 2009 at 11:29 am

A reader has sent word that Portland has a new fashion start-up focusing solely on bike-able threads. According to their still-under-construction website, Gear offers “functional, fashionable bicycle clothing” that is designed and manufactured right here in Portland.

Here are a few photos from their website:

This stuff looks great (especially those shorts). According to our source, the company was started by Dylan Huerter, a former employee of the excellent and bike-centric Little Red Bike Cafe. Word has it that Gear gear will be in three local Bike Gallery stores by spring and they’ll also be a part of the upcoming Oregon Bike Show slated for the Oregon Convention Center this April.

Story continues below

A local, bike-friendly clothing company (and by bike-friendly I mean stuff with a durable fabric, the right cut, pockets in the right places, and so on) is an exciting addition to our burgeoning bicycle industrial complex and we can’t wait to learn more about this new company. Stay tuned.

Comments
  • Joe December 22, 2009 at 12:50 pm

If I had the body like the guy in the shorts, I’d wear those clothes!

• Vivian Loar December 22, 2009 at 1:21 pm

More female specific cycling gear already, please!

• Brad December 22, 2009 at 1:30 pm

I loved this stuff back when it was called American Apparel, Dickie’s, and Chrome!

• Daniel Ronan December 22, 2009 at 1:45 pm

The pictures remind me of Nau (http://www.nau.com/). The clothes are made locally though, which I like. Any word on if the fabric is going to be organic or relatively sustainable?

• sabes December 22, 2009 at 1:46 pm

I was about to say the same thing, Daniel. The lines are very reminiscent of Nau’s designs.

• Jeff December 22, 2009 at 2:08 pm

What makes those bike-specific shorts, exactly? Is there a chamois? Asymmetrical seam? Do they stretch, so I can drop behind the saddle on technical descents? Or do they just look good while I’m walking my brakeless fixie?

• Eve December 22, 2009 at 2:19 pm

not much there. I think they jumped the gun on promoting the site before they are ready to go.

• justin December 22, 2009 at 2:53 pm

i heard the women’s line is coming soon, kinda one garment at a time

• k. December 22, 2009 at 4:20 pm

Great. More shorts that cost $150.

• Tbird December 22, 2009 at 5:11 pm

Trousers; full length trousers please.

• JH December 22, 2009 at 6:07 pm

Cool shorts! I am always excited to see new creative designs and local made goods. Can’t wait to see them in person.

• dsaxena December 22, 2009 at 9:38 pm

can I haz something that fits my non-hipster waist size?

• SkidMark December 23, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Doesn’t matter Jeff, nobody will see them when you are in your pickup with your MTB in the back.

• timtim December 23, 2009 at 1:29 pm

If it doesn’t have a reinforced butt and gusseted crotch I ain’t buyin it.

• david....no the other one December 23, 2009 at 2:30 pm

So… they got shorts! AND? Hows about some seasonal correct wear. Could be bicycle friendly or not. Show me your brains on bicycling clothing.

• Huggybear December 23, 2009 at 6:18 pm

I agree with #12, it would be nice to have things made that fit us people who do not have the bike racer tiny waist.

• Tim December 24, 2009 at 12:00 am

Attention haters: consider for a moment the idea of a niche. And the possibility this might not be yours. Obviously this isn’t a clothing company for everyone. There are plenty of hyper-niche companies to suit your larger waist or tech crotch specifications. It’s not Gear’s fault that you don’t have what you want. That’s all.

• gearpdx December 24, 2009 at 11:40 am

timtim – the crotch/butt is reinforced, and gusseted.
    david – the line is set to launch this Spring, so the shorts are our first garment and are seasonal for Spring/Summer riding. After Spring, it will be like any other line, we will have Fall/Winter specific garments. If you check the website, the Local Pro short is constructed of a spandex/lycra blend for weather resistance and breathability.
    thank you all for the feedback!

• Tankagnolo Bob December 24, 2009 at 11:52 am

I would like to see those shorts in a longer leg length, just over the knees, nicker/peddle pusher style to keep the knees warm in winter. NICE DESIGN with the lock pocket and extra wide belt loop.
    SWEEEEET ! Just say NO to Lycra!!- Mr Bob

• cold worker December 24, 2009 at 3:32 pm

i think they look nice. cost would be a deciding factor for me. i wear through the ass of all my shorts fast. what gives? too bony and slim maybe. so anything over ‘x’ dollars is out of the question. and as i’m sort of a cheapskate, that ‘x’ is pretty low, unless i know that the item i’m purchasing is going to last, otherwise i often opt for the cheaper alternative. also, my lock goes in the left pocket, never the right…

• Matthew December 28, 2009 at 7:43 am

Looks neat. Was interested in possibly buying something. Went to website… website is not really “operational” at this point. Perhaps this story is premature? (You only get one chance to make a first impression).
    Safe Riding.

• justgetout&Ride December 28, 2009 at 9:03 am

Its just plain cool too see quality stuff made local and not over seas. To bad locally made stuff is really freakn expensive.

• GEARPDX December 29, 2009 at 2:02 pm

the clothes were designed and produced at the Portland Garment Factory in southeast Portland. The production orders will be sourced otherwise, local nonetheless.