Page Two
Welcome to Page Two; where we post tidbits that aren't quite ready for the Front Page. Want more? Browse the Page Two archives.

Bryant Street Ped Bridge to close for repaving

Posted by on June 4th, 2008 at 9:37 am

As part of an ongoing effort to renovate and improve the Bryant Street Pedestrian/Bike Bridge, the span will be temporarily closed while City of Portland and ODOT crews complete some repaving work.

According to the Piedmont Neighborhood, the bridge will be closed from June 9-11 and they recommend crossing over I-5 via Portland Blvd/Rosa Parks Way or Lombard Ave.

For more information about the Bryan Bridge Improvement Project, visit the official website.

Comments
  • Gregg Woodlawn June 6, 2008 at 4:54 pm

It would be great to replace the ugly, hardly used Bryant St. overcrossing with the Sauvie Island Bridge!

• tonyt June 9, 2008 at 1:58 pm

So Gregg, do you live in the neighborhood?

• davidio June 9, 2008 at 10:54 pm

I\’m glad and all that they\’re repaving, but just recently somebody painted a cool fella in a 19th century swimsuit holding an umbrella on the path. I thought he was pretty swell – hopefully the artist will share again?!?!?!

• tonyt June 10, 2008 at 2:50 pm

davidio,

At this point it appears that they are just repaving the entry apron, making for an easier entry from the road. We\’ll see if they do more. Seems unlikely to me.

I was able to step around the dug out areas and still use the bridge yesterday.

I second your appreciation of the umbrella guy.

Gregg, I\’m still wondering if you live in the neighborhood. I\’m doubting it if you refer to the bridge as \”hardly used.\”

• Matthew Denton June 12, 2008 at 5:52 pm

So about 20% of the time when I\’m crossing that bridge, someone(s) else is using it too. I cross it day and night, and the 20% seems pretty evenly spread across those times. (I don\’t cross it often enough for that to be a strictly statistically valid measurement, but we\’ll ignore that.) If we assume that it takes 2 minutes to approach, cross, and get far enough away that I wouldn\’t have noticed while I was crossing then that means that someone uses it every 10 minutes… And with 1440 minutes/day, that works out to 144 trips/day, (with some of those trips involving more than one person.) That isn\’t Williams/Vancouver bicycle loads, (2000 people/day,) but it isn\’t a small number either…

Roger G should probably add it to the list of places to do a bicycle count, assuming he can get enough people to count all the places that need to be counted in the first place. Also, is there a pedestrian count done in Portland? (Not everyone that crosses it is on a bicycle.)