Ride your bike, park in the street, get a free taco

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on July 26th, 2007 at 1:36 am

bike parking Por Que No
Ride your bike to ¿Por Que No? and get a free taco.
Today from 3-6pm only.
(File photo)

I just published a story about the DIY on-street bike parking in front of ¿Por Que No? taqueria on N. Mississippi Avenue.

Then, in a strange coincidence, at nearly the exact moment I hit "publish," a reader (without knowing about my story) sent me some interesting information about an email he just received from the owner of ¿Por Que No?, Bryan Steelman (he's also president of the local business association).

The email -- which was sent to the ¿Por Que No? customer email list -- seems to not only confirm the cafe's intentions to get an on-street bike corral, but it also says cyclists can get a free taco tomorrow just for showing up!

Here's the email:

"In celebration of the return of summer, and with the goal of adding city bike parking stalls in the car parking spots in front of the restaurant, I am giving one taco away to everyone who rides their bike to Por Que No tomorrow, Thursday, between 3 and 6pm.

Yes, it can be shrimp, and no, you don't have to buy anything else...so show up on a bike, I'll make some extra room for parking in the street, and enjoy a taco for being part of the solution!"

If this on-street bike corral comes to fruition, it would be the third such facility in the Mississippi area. The other two are located on side streets (adjacent to N. Mississippi Ave.) just a few blocks up the road at N. Beech (Amnesia Brewing) and at N. Shaver Streets (Fresh Pot).

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • Christopher Cotrell July 26, 2007 at 8:03 am

When I first read this, I thought you meant a tacoed wheel. The actual story, happily, involves much less aggression and much more tasty food.

• T July 26, 2007 at 9:32 am

Anyone have a kickstand I can borrow? Or a bicycle to lean on?

• Todd Boulanger July 26, 2007 at 10:12 am

Perhaps they should ask the city to remove the parking there today for a bike drive through?

Or how about bicyclists start parking in the street parking spaces out front of the restaurant...and then drag a few chairs out there - taking back a small portion of the street. Any one have an area rug to place out there too today...to humanize the space for this demonstration (With ¿Por Que No? tacit approval ;-)

• Martha S. July 26, 2007 at 12:25 pm

Almost like a spontaneous parking day, I like it Todd. ^_^

• peder horner July 26, 2007 at 9:05 pm

I love this neighborhood!

• tonyt July 27, 2007 at 11:11 am

Thanks for the taco! I bought one too, just to spread the love.

• JM July 27, 2007 at 2:33 pm

I have too many area rugs. They\'re nice, but can be trampled, because I\'m looking to get rid of them. Maybe they can be repeat bike carpets until they\'re too gross..

• [...] She tasted my taco and reported that both were great.  The owner welcomed us out front and promised a bike rack soon.  I also had a Negra Modelo and K. sipped hibiscus tea.  We tipped well, [...]