Local radio show promotes hatred toward cyclists

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on July 14th, 2006 at 11:13 am

Cyclist Lanette Noble was driving across town yesterday morning when she tuned her radio dial to 95.5 Jammin’ FM and heard the hosts of the Emmy-nominated morning show "The Playhouse" talking about cyclists.

She was appalled at what she heard next:

"I couldn't believe my ears. The hosts began by discussing their hatred and frustration for cyclists."

Lanette, a Nike employee who commutes to work, says that the female host told a story about a friend who had recently hit a cyclist with her car while driving downtown. The cyclist was sent to the hospital. Lanette thought the host would be saddened by this news, but instead she says that "the male host was elated." Here's more from Lanette:

"He then encouraged listeners to call in and tell more stories of cyclist who had been smashed by cars because the thought of it really pumped him up.

The female host then told a story of how the other day she had intentionally cut a cyclist off and the cyclist punched her rear window. She said, "Now I carry extra water bottles in my car to throw at them."

If this wasn't bad enough, the worst was yet to come. According to Lanette, the male host then explained how much he hated cyclists and said,

"When I hear on TV that a cyclist has been hit and killed by a car I laugh, I think it's funny"

He followed this by saying,

"If you are a cyclist you should know I exist, that I don't care about you. That I don't care about your life."

Lanette, a cyclist who only drives about once a month using Flexcar was extremely upset at what she heard and doesn't think this sort of prejudice against any group of people should be tolerated on a public radio station.

I think this station and the community needs to hear loud and clear that promoting violence and hatred between road users is not acceptable.

Jammin' 95.5 is owned by Rose City Radio which also owns KXL Newsradio 750, home of every cyclist's favorite radio personality, Lars Larson. According to Wikipedia, Rose City Radio is owned by Trailblazers owner and Microsoft Co-founder Paul Allen.

Tim McNamara is the station's General Manager and can be reached by calling (503) 243-7595. You can send Mr. McNamara a message via their feedback page.

Please consider contacting the station and letting them know how you feel.

UPDATE: Here's the FCC's online complaint form for "Obscene, Profane, and/or Indecent Material". I just submitted a complaint.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • Brett July 14, 2006 at 11:37 am

I suggest a peaceful demonstration of bike love and rider unity, something to show how large the bike community in Portland is. Perhaps someone could pick up the ball.

Brett

• Jeff July 14, 2006 at 11:44 am

How about a mass campaign to shame this idiotic station into firing their pathetic hosts, instead... it's worked on a number of DJs who endorsed or advocated violence against peaceful civilians recently.

• ChronicKindness August 29, 2013 at 7:59 am

Which DJ's, and what violence exactly? Are you making this up?

• patrick July 14, 2006 at 11:46 am

I don't agree with it, but I'm sure it's part of their "gig". Radio DJ's are notorious for things like this, getting people all pumped up calling in, makes for a great morning show. Sure this is a sensitive subject in Portland these days and the last thing we need is a wacky morning DJ trying to drum up ratings on the Friday morning show, but I'll bet it's just a "gig".

• Tomas-Co-Sauce July 14, 2006 at 11:53 am

It's SH!T like this that keeps me from listening to radio or watching TV. I'll stick to the "Inter-Webs" and choose my news and entertainment.

-Tomas

• Gregg July 14, 2006 at 11:55 am

Not to Lanette but it would be nice to actually hear the piece or at least know of somebody else who did.

Regardless, I can't believe that the man on the air stated that he cut somebody off intentionally. That's attempted murder right there!

• Joe July 14, 2006 at 11:59 am

dear patrick! i don't give a rats a$$ if it's a gig, i'm out there on my bike everyday and i don't need some waste of skin telling the world that he doesn't care about the life of a cyclist! F*ck that and their "gig"! and that idea about a peaceful demonstration is full of it too! yeah, hitting us and being glad we are dead is really peaceful. too many of you hippies always saying we have to be peaceful, and just show our unity. was that dj being peaceful....NO! this city runs on the bicycle, and anyone that comes out and says the things that the dj said should be made to walk the plank!

• banjo July 14, 2006 at 12:01 pm

A few thoughts:

Terrorism (n): "the unlawful use or threat of violence esp. against the state or the public as a politically motivated means of attack or coercion"

Cyclists have a legal right to occupy and use the public right-of-way. Is not the use or threat of violence against American citizens using the public right-of-way an act of terrorism? Are not the comments of these hosts in support of terrorist acts against American citizens?

• Gregg July 14, 2006 at 12:09 pm

Joe, I can't speak for anybody else here but I am right there with you at least in spirit. But, it will be difficult to convince somebody of the immorality of their deed by acting in the exact same way. Gandhi said it best "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind". But honestly, talking to these morning show creeps is truly a waste of time. Nothing will get done without going to the people that write their checks. As mentioned above, look what happened to the DJs who made fun of Nick Berg's brutal death.

• Jeremy July 14, 2006 at 12:14 pm

The number listed above is their news room. You've got to call the main desk to get to Tim. The number is 503-243-7595. Start leaving messages for the man and maybe he can fire off some canned remark about how they're just having fun, not realizing that many of their listeners are unstable enough to actually lead by their pathetic example.

• pdxrocket July 14, 2006 at 12:15 pm

I have only seen "The Playhouse" once on local access. They try to be this copycat of Howard Stern; when they truly have no talent whatsoever. I know it's not right for them to say the sh!t they do on-air, but I'm guessing they only do that so it upsets people like us into fighting back. WHich for them only helps their ratings.

Secretly someone should just have the on-air talent's cars towed and replace them all with bikes. :-)

• Michael July 14, 2006 at 12:18 pm

This station is using publicly owned broadcast spectrum. File a complaint with the FCC here: http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html The station owners will get serious if their license is in jeopardy.

• Michael July 14, 2006 at 12:20 pm

Any attorneys out there that want to start a class action?

• Brett July 14, 2006 at 12:20 pm

Joe,
    I am ex-US ARMY infantry. I carry a concealed firearm on my person 90% of the time. I am not a hippie. I have seen violent things you probably haven't. I think you need to breathe deeply and start working at the least possible violent resolution to this... but hey at least your in the system.

Brett

• Gregg July 14, 2006 at 12:25 pm

Michael, aren't you getting a little bit ahead of yourself? Shouldn't we give the owners of the station to redeem themselves before trying to litigate? This was all just annoying talk, there was no real damange done (yet) to anybody and certainly not to many.

• Gregg July 14, 2006 at 12:27 pm

Boy, I can't type today. I meant "give the owners of the station a chance..."

• Michael July 14, 2006 at 12:29 pm

If you don't get how awful this is, substitute woman or child for cyclist, then change hit to rape.

Or change cyclist to nigger, etc.

This kind of solicitation of violence and hatred is as disgusting as humans can get.

There is nothing funny about it.

• Jonathan Maus July 14, 2006 at 12:30 pm

Gregg,

Yes perhaps we should give the station time to make a statement...but I don't agree with you that no real damage has been done.

People hear this stuff and it makes them less sensitive to sharing the road. This station reaches thousands of impressionable young people who drive 3,000 pound vehicles.

Some damage has already been done.

• Dave July 14, 2006 at 12:34 pm

What about a boycott of their advertisers until the hosts are fired? Money speaks louder than words.

• Steve July 14, 2006 at 12:39 pm

Are these "playhouse" yahoos locally produced or are they a syndicated show carried by 95.5 and if they are local do we have a names to attach these idiots (actual names, not what we want to call them)?
    Steve

• Lenny Anderson July 14, 2006 at 12:41 pm

This is an assault on every cyclist in Portland, even the Mayor of Vancouver, and on and on.
    These people should be put on indefinite unpaid leave and sent back to kindergarden to learn basic civility. Their driver's licenses should be revoked.

• No Pets July 14, 2006 at 12:42 pm

I have only seen “The Playhouse” once on local access."

oh it's that guy?!?! What a douchebag! If he comes near me with his car while I'm riding my bike I will at least take his mirror off!!....and maybe bust a window!

• Jonathan Maus July 14, 2006 at 12:44 pm

Steve,

I think it's a national show. Here's the link to the show's website with a photo of the host.

Lanette couldn't recall names of the hosts.

• banjo July 14, 2006 at 12:45 pm

Perhaps we could get these hosts to sit down, face to face, with the families of cyclists who have been killed over the last few years. That'll sober them up pretty quick.

And/or: as a requirement for keeping their jobs, they must commute exclusively by bike for the next three months. (Let 'em off easy, no rain to deal with.) No carpooling, no Trimet, no Flexcar.

• Lanette July 14, 2006 at 12:47 pm

I agree with both Michael and Gregg. I am not only angry because I'm a cyclist, I'm angry because open hatred and prejudice doesn't belong on public broadcast. The hosts made it sound very cool to be violent towards cyclists. It was as if cyclists weren't even people, rather annoying bugs that should be squashed. Very disturbing to hear and I would feel the same discust over such hatred against any group of people.

• Brett July 14, 2006 at 12:55 pm

Much like the people in here don't automatically represent their true self... PK doesn't either on the show. I took a parachute class with him a couple of years ago. With the exception of his fancy car and his electronic gadgets... he was actually reserved. Or... maybe the show is his true self and the class was a persona. I guess my point is that he is probably just ignorant about bicycling. We should, whatever happens, try to help him to understand that he has gone too far in the interest of his... craft.

• Evan Manvel July 14, 2006 at 12:57 pm

The BTA sent KXL a similar comment to that we sent in February when a different radio show/station had some negative talk. In that case, the comments were taken out of context, and were followed by some pro-bike comments. I can only hope this case was the same, but doubt it.

• Joe July 14, 2006 at 1:00 pm

well, brett when i don't see anymore stories of people getting away with hitting and killing a cyclist then, i'll be peaceful. i'm sorry you have seen all these terrible things, but i did not ask you to join up in the army. you carrying a weapon has nothing to do with me or anyone else, these people that threaten mine and everyone elses life on the road with there 2 ton metal death box's are the problem.

• chris July 14, 2006 at 1:03 pm

for whatever it's worth i just emailed Tim McNamara to tell him how sick all this makes me. i'd be into a group ride to the studio/offices of 95.5

• C3PNo July 14, 2006 at 1:14 pm

Grrrr...just picture the flipside...cyclists getting together and advocating for picking off SUVs with grenade launchers...how quickly labeled "terrorism" in all forms of corpomedia d'ya think?

• Mr.Mediator July 14, 2006 at 1:16 pm

What these people don't realize is that cycling on the streets is a suicide pact. And we should ride, and act, and *respond* accordingly.

Instead of hitting a driver's window, if a cyclist pulls a driver out of his car at a light and gives him a sound beating after an illegal, life-threatening 4-wheel maneuver, we can up the ante and give these morning show people something to really talk about.

Alternately, and in the best tradition of zombie media, perhaps we could publish the DJs' home addresses and phone numbers?

Turn about, as they say, is fair play.

• Jasun Wurster July 14, 2006 at 1:17 pm

Why not request the FCC to review an archive of the show.

Also, listen to the show, as hard as it may be for who the advertisers make your views known to them.

I do like the idea of getting a mass of cyclist riding a circle around the radio station ... however it would be very useful to have a recording of the comments to provide to the media. More damning for the radio station.

• Brett July 14, 2006 at 1:21 pm

Joe,
    My point is that you don't know me, and therefore are simply being judgemental in calling me a hippie. Now, how are you being judgemental against the people from the radio show? The people at the show didn't kill anyone. They just have a sense of humor that I don't agree with. Jonathan is right about giving them time to respond. To effect the deepest change we must transcend the violent behavior used by the show hosts. There are always "stronger" ways to make a point... but ALL reasonable attempts at diplomacy MUST be exhausted first. Now a question to all that all involved in this... have you all called or e/snail mailed the station? (of course that's rhetorical)

• Lanette July 14, 2006 at 1:22 pm

Any ideas on how to request a recording? Maybe it can be found on the internet. they must have archives.

• Joe July 14, 2006 at 1:25 pm

so, you believe you know me then? brett, have your opnion, that's your right. i'll keep mine.

• el timito July 14, 2006 at 1:26 pm

The Playhouse is locally produced, according to their webpage. Started in Florida, moved to California, then came here.

I say forget directing action against the dj's, go straight to their bosses - station manager, Paul Allen, FCC. Let them know there's a difference between being an edgy radio personality and being a homicidal a**hole.

• Jonathan Maus July 14, 2006 at 1:29 pm

The FCC website has an online form you can fill out for reporting "Obscene, Profane, and/or Indecent Material".

It took me 2 mins. and I just lifted some quotes from the post.

• Bobby July 14, 2006 at 1:34 pm

FIRE the whole Crew!!!!!

• erik July 14, 2006 at 1:40 pm

too bad i live in philadelphia, but if this shit was going on here i'd stand up for myself and my cycling bretheren and unleash some u-lock justice in the playhouse.

• Jasun Wurster July 14, 2006 at 1:44 pm

They could have good press ... or bad press. The same goes for us.

The show is a nationally syndicated show I think giving the local station an option.

Thought the event looks like a totall PR sham ... little kids and their parents will be there. So here is my thought ...

Yea we could roll up with signs and inform the public of their shitty selection of syndicated shows ... or give them the option to invite and compensate local bicycle non-profits to educate them thought their audience.

Pressure them to buy lights, helmets, hire bike safety teachers and apologize in a meaningful way.

I say 'make them pay' ... but in a way that is a bit more thoughtful and wins support for our cause as opposed to potentially alienating new riders.

jasun

• Brett July 14, 2006 at 1:52 pm

Jasun,
    Right on. I wonder... I see that the station does a lot of good in the city... wouldn't it be better to target a function that the Playhouse is hosting instead of one that the station is? I really like your philosophy on not alienating new riders.

• Allen July 14, 2006 at 1:54 pm

they've got a podcast of the shows but they look a few days delayed, so maybe in a day or two they'll have the audio from this.

• Randy July 14, 2006 at 1:57 pm

This has happened on other talk shows on radio stations in other cities around the country. Pressure should be brought on the station to make a public retraction and/or fire the DJ(s) responsible. Polite but firm emails and calls work best, don't get hysterical. If this station is owned by Paul Allen, he should ultimately be made aware of the situation, and I would suggest a very public boycott of his radio stations and other local business ventures, including the Blazers basketball team.

• Randy July 14, 2006 at 1:59 pm

One more thing - IMO, this qualifies as hate speech and death threats, certainly not something covered by the first amendment.

• andy July 14, 2006 at 2:03 pm

I've already sent an email to a number of my friends (who aren't cyclists), asking them to boycott 95.5/KXL, and to tell the station why they are doing so.

• Brett July 14, 2006 at 2:04 pm

ORS...
    163.190 Menacing. (1) A person commits the crime of menacing if by word or conduct the person intentionally attempts to place another person in fear of imminent serious physical injury.

(2) Menacing is a Class A misdemeanor. [1971 c.743 §95]

But make sure you yourself aren't guilty...

• wig-1 July 14, 2006 at 3:00 pm

well since im a city boy 100% i would deal with him the way we deal with people like him in the city...xx00...
    but he is a radio host.this is the USA. so let him talk let them all talk.
    and the next time some asshole honks ther horn at you ride slower.ride in thee lane....
    how much is gas this week $3.25..soon my friends they will all be on bikes...then they will see the fault of there ways..

• Brad July 14, 2006 at 3:09 pm

My comments sent to Mr. McNamara:

RE: Jammin' 95.5 Playhouse Comments regarding Cyclists

Horrible! I know the show is desperately attempting to make 15 year olds giggle with its sophisticated humor but gleefully celebrating car-cyclist accidents is not funny at all. I have never known the topics of death or serious injury to ever be humorous. I also do not find attempts to validate sociopathic driving behaviors or attempted homicide to be guffaw inducing gut busters either.

Mr. McNamara, I suggest that you invite the surviving members of the McDaniel family of Forest Grove to be guests on "The Playhouse". They lost their parents over the Memorial Day weekend when a negligent driver crossed into the bike lane on Hwy. 47 and struck them from behind killing them in the process. Let your witty radio personalities engage them in their live on-air antics.

It appears that Rose City Radio is another jewel in Paul Allen's business crown. It also appears that your organization maintains the high ethical and moral standards we have come to expect from another of Mr. Allen's properties: The Trailblazers.

• Brad July 14, 2006 at 3:12 pm

Is there any chance we can get an all day Critical Mass ride going around the station? Get enough riders and no one gets in or out of that building (or parking lot) for as long as we ride. (Including Lars!)

• Joe July 14, 2006 at 3:47 pm

an all day critical would be great! non of that two 2 hours and then disperse...i bet even the bike cops would love to do that....THEY ARE ON BIKES TOO!!! wouldn't they want to feel safe on the road aswell?

• Joe July 14, 2006 at 3:51 pm

oh wait, all they do is ride on sidewalks...nevermind

• Nunzio July 14, 2006 at 3:55 pm

Sorry to hear of this assinine behavior on the part of the DJ/Hosts. It's not good for any of us. Know that this type of titillation is precisely why shock-jocks are hired. They prey on exciting that which lies silent within our psyches.

Make no mistake, the FCC could care less about this type of broadcast. Now, if they had said "Christian cyclists" or "f'in" cyclists the feds would be all over them. Even the station is not likely to respond to complaints. The point is people are listening... and now even chatting and talking about the station. Job well done on behalf of the DJ.

The only way to impact such a station is to hit them where it hurts. It's the same place that tends to hurt most... their wallets. Don't bother calling the FCC. Call the station's advertisers. Get a tape of that show and a transcript and send it to every single advertiser. Say you and your friends will never buy their products again if they support this shit. That is what makes the gears of the machine start to grind. don't picket the station, picket the advertisers. They are the ones who pay for this tripe.

Ciao,

• andy July 14, 2006 at 4:07 pm

Yeah, nothing like a good critical mass to give Lars and his cohorts a reason to spend the next two weeks savaging us on the air, getting all his dittoheads on the road fired up about "lawless cyclists" and how we need to be reined in. Unless somebody's got a pirate radio strong enough to "critical mass" their airwaves, too...

• Cate July 14, 2006 at 4:10 pm

My memory may be totally off, but isn't this the same show that made very derogatory remarks about a woman with mental retardation who was waiting for a bus a few years ago? The DJ's said really mean things about her.

If I remember right, both DJ's were suspended for several days and warned not to do it again or they'd lose their jobs. The station also publicly apologized.

If I remember right, the reason the station responded as well as it did was the media picked up on the story. The station was publicly shamed.

Is anyone in the media aware of this story?

• Cate July 14, 2006 at 4:20 pm

Yes, it was them. Here's a link: http://www.wweek.com/editorial/2929/3956/

• Cate July 14, 2006 at 4:25 pm

Here's more from WW, 5/14/03:

"On Thursday, Friday and Monday, the funsters at the Playhouse crew at Jammin 95.5 were nowhere to be heard. That's because General Manager Tim McNamara decided to spank them for continuing to make fun of the developmentally disabled, a routine that earned the radio station "Rogue of the Week" honors twice in the past couple of months. While McNamara was reacting to the complaints he has received from advocates of the disabled and some advertisers who pulled their support since WW's Rogues, he had another reason to clean up his and his station's image: The radio exec has been actively lobbying to replace Bob Whitsitt as the general manager of the Portland Trail Blazers. Jammin 95.5 is owned, as are the Blazers, by Paul Allen."

• tim July 14, 2006 at 4:36 pm

if this is is a gig it is a terible fucking gig and they should not get paid for hating on a people that is so stupide how bout a protest infront of the office when those assholes come to work?

• Michael July 14, 2006 at 4:38 pm

"The only way to impact such a station is to hit them where it hurts. It’s the same place that tends to hurt most… their wallets. Don’t bother calling the FCC. Call the station’s advertisers.

YES! Let's get organized on this.

To do:
    Get list of advertisers
    Indentify key contacts, emails, tels, etc
    Make contact
    Go viral with activist messages to friends, etc, asking for them to spread the word.

• [...] We just got a response from P.K., host and creator of The Playhouse, the local morning radio show that broadcasted hateful, anti-cyclist comments on their program last Wednesday. [...]

• "EASY" July 14, 2006 at 7:00 pm

Now knowing this propoganda "tool" DJ exist, one should be so brave to tell all his intentions and not expect a reaction...what a idiot !!! You can only pull this SH*T on the left coast?
    Come East myfriend and try this.
    Ever try to chase down a fast cyclist within' a city of one way streets? FACT :You'll never catch us.

• patrick July 14, 2006 at 7:07 pm

Oh yeah,

Like Paul Allen is going to do something.....

• Katy July 14, 2006 at 7:52 pm

Thanks for keeping us informed, Jonathan. I just submitted the FCC form as well as an email to the station's manager. We don't need people to encourage road rage; there's already enough bad behavior out there as it is. I hope someone listens.

• Kirsty July 15, 2006 at 12:17 am

I emailed the station manager Tim McNamara, and also filled in a complaint via the online FCC form regarding profane & offensive broadcasting.

I'm not normally one to bite the bullet from local Howard Stern radio wannabees, but when i hear about a radio announcer telling his or her listeners he thinks people being killed is funny, that just goes too far.

I filed my complaints. Now go file yours.

Kirst x

• Lonnie Johnson July 15, 2006 at 1:26 am

I am totally Irate, this is too far to take. I have been harassed many times by SUV drivers because I am a Cyclist. After the morning playhouse garbage aired, I was ran off the road and verbally assalted by teenagers in a big ass SUV. I was hauling 50 pounds of groceries home after work, and they reached out the window and tried to pull me into them. They called me a Dirty French Faggot and other nasty stuff. I blame Jammin 95.5 for influencing young drivers. I want and plan to get even with the station some how. A critical mass, hacking into the program, something to show the big corporate bastards that we are not going to take it sitting down. If I see Lars Larson, Paul Allen, or the male host on the street, I don't know what I'll do.
    They should be carefull around Our Bicycling City, and one day, all their wealth will disappear.

• patrick July 15, 2006 at 12:03 pm

uhhh, how is Lonnie's comment any different than wacky DJ guy??

Paul Allen the same guy who employs lawbreaking athletes for hundreds of millions of dollars??

Why do cyclist seem to often call them "SUV drivers"?

• Jennifer July 15, 2006 at 12:30 pm

If this was aired this morning then it's pretty messed up for the fact that, before they went off on their rant and hatred of cyclist, that there was already enough road rage towards us anyways.
    Last night I was going down 11th from the lloyed center kinkos not a car on the road and some asshole comes speeding up next to me see's a whole bunch of parked cars coming up I'm at least going about 30 or so but he slams on his brakes and goes close next to the cars making me almost go into them having to try and not go into his car. he gets stuck at a light I go through it mind you it is like 230 am. and he come flying by me again trying to push me off the road. and that was on a little side street by my house too.

I agree in the critical mass all day ride, just what time to be there, if I recall isn't their station on front ave or something I just know I would go by it all the time on my to my old place off of macadam.

• jackson July 15, 2006 at 1:40 pm

I don't think this radio host REALLY feels this way.

It's funny that the left wingers start believing in censorship once something they believe in is attacked.

Through the cloud of moral relativity they some how stand up for something for once, since it directly impacts their lives...it's alot easier for them to issue a condemnation.

Especially when the broadcast is taken out of context and posted on the internet.

I doubt that any one here really listened to the broadcast as I did.

Besides, we have 'Elijah Mohammed' on public access spouting hatred towards whites and jews all the time and not a peep out of the left.

This is the very reason why I can respect a libertarian and not a cry baby liberal.

Keep on crying Portland, you turned into everything you said you hated.... censorship.

• Jonathan Maus July 15, 2006 at 2:50 pm

jackson,

We're not talking about politics or some divisive issue like abortion or religion. This is different. This is a public safety issue. These comments put everyone on the road in danger.

I think it's absolutely appropriate to censor words that put our lives at risk.

• jackson July 15, 2006 at 7:28 pm

Really are you sure Jonathan... I didn't see you put the damper on politics after Nunzio's post...

"Make no mistake, the FCC could care less about this type of broadcast. Now, if they had said “Christian cyclists” or “f’in” cyclists the feds would be all over them. Even the station is not likely to respond to complaints."

Nor did you say anything after this equally violent rhetoric posted by the "Mediator"...

"Instead of hitting a driver’s window, if a cyclist pulls a driver out of his car at a light and gives him a sound beating after an illegal, life-threatening 4-wheel maneuver, we can up the ante and give these morning show people something to really talk about."

You're all about censorship folks... the truth hurts doesn't it?

• SKiDmark July 15, 2006 at 8:33 pm

I don't think any of us are calling for censorship, just accountability. He opened his mouth, and we are responding. Nobody is saying he CAN'T say it, some are saying he shouldn't say it, and some are saying if he is gonna talk shit like that he will be held accountable. Find another bridge to crawl under troll (jackson).

The reason people in cars harass people on bicycles is because most of the time they can speed away so they don't have to worry about retaliation.

• Carissa July 15, 2006 at 9:00 pm

I heard this radio show, and it was chilling. I'm so glad someone looked up the number. The quoted text above is absolutely an accurate paraphrasing of the show, and it is not skewed out of context. I was surprised to see the show so well quoted. While listening I was embarrassed to be a driver, and kept glancing at the cars next to me and at the bikers (in bike lanes on Broadway). I was truly afraid for the bikers because the host kept repeating how they should be run off the road, run over, and taught a lesson. It was so stunning and he was so strongly promoting drivers to hit bikers that I actually feared someone driving near me and listening to the show might veer into the bike lane on purpose. The show is clearly meant to incite people as his topics are always outrageous, but this show promoted illegal and fatal behavior, and that should not be broadcast on public airwaves.

For the duration of my drive (I bike to work on that route often too) he ranted about how much he hates cyclists who "think they have the same rights as cars" and several times advocated "cutting them off, and reminding them who rules the road," (this is not verbatim as I cannot find the show to replay, but I was listening very carefully and considered pulling over to write down quotes). He said he would laugh to see a biker under a car. The female host also told the story about turning and almost hitting a biker who then punched the back of her car. She stated that she keeps a stash of water bottles in the car to throw at bikers. She should also be held responsible for her part in the show.

The quotes in the original article were not out of context, they are accurate. I listened carefully to the show, and it made me shudder and fear for the safety of those around me. There is no appropriate context for advocating violent behavior. HE LAUGHED AND ENCOURAGED DRIVERS TO HIT BIKERS multiple times. Our response needs to be direct and united--this is not about whether drivers or bikers are morally superior, or anything to do with wealth as some comments above have stated, the point is that show was dangerous for our entire community, drivers and bikers alike, and promoting violence against any citizen in our community cannot be tolerated. As a driver, as a biker, and as a citizen of Portland I condemn this show and the station that aired it. A tape needs to be released.

• Michael July 16, 2006 at 10:08 am

Reading the previous post returns me to my early comment about legal action. Some of you propose moderation and some degree of tolerance. This issue, with the corroboration of the story, is one that that begs zero tolerance. The issue is not one of constitutional rights of the speaker, but more importantly the constitutional rights of the cyclists. This has crossed the rhetorical boundary such as crying fire in a theater. Or do we let it go until what point? An actual death or injury?

• lanette July 16, 2006 at 3:27 pm

Carrisa i'm so happy to read someone else heard what I did. I also remember everything you mentioned, but wasn't confident I could quote them directly without taking them out of context. I'll be joining the group at the station tomorrow morning. We should demand an apology with some pro bike programming. Cyclisy should not be afraid to ride. The roads are dangerous enough without driver harassment.

• peter grace July 16, 2006 at 7:51 pm

i think this needs some media attention. someone should contact the families of cyclists who've been killed by automobiles and let them know what this psycho is saying. let them know that a local radio dj advocates murder!
    i mean this guy's a f-ing moron. would he rather have all the cyclists in cars so we have twice as much traffic and pollution?

• Tree July 16, 2006 at 9:34 pm

I haven't read the posts yet, but I emailed the GM of the radio station that he should order his two employees to bike commute roundtrip every workday for a month, or two months if they're part time. You all know that'll shut 'em up.

• PhMafia July 17, 2006 at 12:45 am

Why would the DJ's of an emmy winning show get canned for calling bikers a waste of space? There syndicated in 12 states and im sure if all the cyclist's of the world stopped listening there would be 0 difference, go listen to Z100 or Rosie 105 if you want the sugar coated entertainment. PHMAFIA.COM You Have Been Boarded.

• Frank July 17, 2006 at 1:01 am

Free Speech is Free Speech. Whether or not you agree with it. It's not "selective speech". Calling for some government intervention or crackdown is absurd. A boycott or letter-writing/phone-calling campaign is much more effective. All forms of censorship is bad.

• Rob July 17, 2006 at 6:33 am

Most people listening to crap like this would be turned off the station. But I think there is a small percent that feel and act the way these hosts were speaking. There are probably some cyclists out there that would be more than upset to hear this on the radio. Maybe upset enough to follow them home and cause some real problems. Saying stuff like this on the radio not only shows how little humane you are it also shows how stupid they are.

• Brayden July 17, 2006 at 7:03 am

The host of the show just ellaborated and once again he stated that he has a problem with cyclists who find the need to cut cars off and make the road dangerous for larger vehicles. I think it is interesting that you say "every cyclist’s favorite radio personality, Lars Larson." Please do talk to Lars about this because he happens to know the host and I doubt would have all the outrage for him you people have.

• Rylan July 17, 2006 at 7:07 am

They didn't say anything different than what normal people think. I listen to this show every morning and have read the posts. His comments have been taken out of context. Pk had been discussing the inappropriate behavior of bad bicycle riders. I am not a rider and I am sure they are the minority. However, bicyclist do not own the road. They are made for cars; we can't go on bike trails. They need to respect our side...not the other way. That is what he was talking about. Is that too unreasonable?!?!?!

• Brayden July 17, 2006 at 7:09 am

Lars Larson happens to be on the radio show in question and he agrees with the host.

• Michael July 17, 2006 at 7:43 am

Freedom of speech is NOT the issue here. The Supreme Court ruled on this many years ago.
    ---
    The fighting words doctrine, in United States constitutional law, is a limitation to freedom of speech as granted in the First Amendment to the United States Constitution In its 9-0 decision, Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire (1942), the U.S. Supreme Court established the doctrine and held that "insulting or 'fighting words,' those that by their very utterance inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace" are among the "well-defined and narrowly limited classes of speech [of which] the prevention and punishment of...have never been thought to raise any constitutional problem."

• John July 17, 2006 at 7:53 am

Hatred from the radio show? Someone threatened to throw a molitov cocktail into Tim Macnamara's office. Tim also mentioned he doesn't care about the "Protest" He also mentioned "Half of these people son't know what their prtesting. This is how lynchings happend."

• Anonymous July 17, 2006 at 8:21 am

Rylan,

You've nicely outlined where the problem lies. Roads were not "made for cars", but are multi-modal. Bicycles are in fact allowed to take the full lane depending on the situation and conditions - ORS814.430(2)(c).

Lack of driver education when it comes to road sharing is a serious problem. All road users "own" the road and we need to share it. The reason bicyclists get up in arms when motorists show ignorance of the law (if not outright hostility to it) is that the motorist can do us serious bodily injury or even death.

• Russell July 17, 2006 at 8:23 am

Lack of driver education when it comes to road sharing is a serious problem. All road users "own" the road and we need to share it. The reason bicyclists get up in arms when motorists show ignorance of the law (if not outright hostility to it) is that the motorist can do us serious bodily injury or even death when they decide the "road is made for cars" and they are going to "teach (us) a lesson".

• [...] If you are trying to post hateful or divisive comments about the recent situation I will not publish them. [...]

• Jake July 17, 2006 at 9:09 am

What disturbs me the most about all this stuff is how comments on a radio program are misconstrued to fit people's wants. I heard the show this morning and I never once heard the host INCITE PEOPLE TO HIT BIKERS. Never did he say 'I want you to go out and smack people on bicycles' nor did he say he does it himself. What I heard was a satire that might have been tasteless, but that is freedom of speech.

Those of you claiming terrorism, give me a break, honestly. You consider yourselves American yet you don't allow true free speech. No one advocated violence towards bicyclists, and just because one individual might find the subject of harming someone humorous, does not mean that it is alright to do it.

Some of you need to wake up, get off of your soap boxes and quit whining. Honestly, the comments here have lead me to feel a bit of a grudge towards bikers myself, seeing the self righteous flavour and feeling of entitlement, as if you have a reason to have one, sickens me. Yes, bikers exist (I am one), yes cars exist, and yes there is issues with sharing the road. Filing class actions lawsuits, or threatening to harass (biking to the station, etc) someone will only incite worse feelings.

Flame me all you want, and spew your rhetoric, as if I will come back to read this, but know that by standing on your high horses and acting as if you're doing good for the world just because you're biking, does not mean that everyone will agree. This show, as well as others, only are as powerful as you allow them to be. By giving them the time and the energy, you just push the envelope forward.

By the way, it really is better to listen to the program than to heard it third and fourth hand. I know they have a podcast at their website, go check it out and see what was really said, it might be up today.

• Dabby July 17, 2006 at 10:10 am

I would like to invite this radio host to meet me at the stoop for a "discussion" on this topic.

• Dean July 17, 2006 at 10:12 am

Where were you today when he invited any of you bikers on to his show today? It's funny to see how tough people are after the fact.

• Eric D-J July 17, 2006 at 10:59 am

Podcast is magically gone spanky. We'd love to hear it, but the removed it. It wont be back online, if it is, it will be edited.

The show suggests listening too. It would have made all the fcc complaints easier.

• John Q Public July 17, 2006 at 11:01 am

Does anyone have a link to the podcast of this episode? I could find the link for the show, but the episode in question seems to be absent.

• jackson July 17, 2006 at 12:45 pm

"A tape needs to be released."

Yes it does, for right now I feel like I'm looking at concerned grannies that just saw Janet Jackson's superbowl performance.

Jonathan in all of his wisdom contributed this broad, ambiguous statement:

"I think it’s absolutely appropriate to censor words that put our lives at risk."

I'm sure you would agree with Dubya's sweeping generalizations regarding the danger of Gitmo detainees as well.

The same rings true in your piece Jonathan, remember that this is from your point of view and that your point of view doesn't come before free speech.

Secondly I'm a biker myself. I ACTUALLY HEARD this bit on the radio and though I was offended, I did not feel that my safety was in jeopardy. Have you ever heard of the term, "Tongue and cheek?"

I'm seeing alot of feer mongering reminiscent of the supposed American Orwellian nightmare that the left screams and cries about on a daily basis.

Do your part of censorship folks and report this to the FCC.

- Jackson

• Jonathan Maus July 17, 2006 at 12:55 pm

Jackson,

Thanks for pointing out my statement about censorship. I want everyone to know that I used that word mistakenly and that I am not in favor of outright censorship.

What I meant to convey was that I think the actions of this station necessitate some sort of accountability...whether that means sanction from the FCC or some other form yet to be decided.

I agree my statement was bad. Censor was not the right word to use. It was a mistake and I hope this clarifies my perspective.

• Jason July 17, 2006 at 1:02 pm

Keep calling!! I just called Tim McNamara and his receptionist said, "We're pretty frustrated with this whole thing and not taking any more calls."

Sounds like everyone should go ahead and flood 503-243-7595, extension 216 if you haven't yet. Let's fill his voice mailbox everyday!

Oh and in response to Dean, asking where we were this morning. I was making sexist comments ("pink taco"?!), linking photos of graphic murder victims, and mocking the disabled. Oh wait! That's what PK was doing! I forgot.

• jesse July 17, 2006 at 1:58 pm

Unfortunately, this is not the first time a radio station has pulled this stunt, and it probably won't be the last. I believe a Clear Channel station in Dallas lost a lawsuit about very similar statements a couple of years ago. My understanding of the case was that it hinged on whether they were just saying something stupid and offensive (free speech, and something people get their undies bunched up about far too often) or inciting people to act on thier statements (not protected speech, and something which should be dealt with very harshly, IMO)
    J

• Jonathan Maus July 17, 2006 at 3:01 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments. I cannot continue to moderate everything and I think most of the key points have been made...therefore I am closing this comment thread.

Don't worry, there will be more posts on this topic soon.

Thanks for your contributions.

• [...] The situation with Jammin’ 95.5 and their Playhouse morning show continues to escalate. The posts have been linked to from all over the web, I have talked with the head of the League of American Bicyclists, the BTA, PDOT, the local media, and the word is spreading very quickly. [...]

• [...] There have been a few posts on BikePortland about the situation and now Jonathan is looking for suggestions on what his next course of action should be. Bookmark on del.icio.us Email this post to a friend [...]

• Jonathan Maus July 18, 2006 at 6:49 pm

I have reopened the comments on this post.

• [...] Now I discover that a popular Portland radio jockey was heard tacitly encouraging outright violence to urban cyclists (with similar, if distinctly hyperbolic, gripes voiced here in The City by Rob Anderson and his supporters).  What was ignorance, followed by antipathy, towards the bicycle set seems to be turning antagonistic.  And of course, the folks in cars have the final say, in terms of physics (though often law as well), on the road. [...]

• lincolnon3 July 18, 2006 at 9:05 pm

you all dont know what you talking about. you are taking what he said out of context. he was refering to the stupid bikers that cant fallow the rules of the road. I feel the same way about most of what was said!!!!

• T July 18, 2006 at 9:37 pm

Recently I also heard a radio host on the syndicated Radio America network ( I think it was Dennis Prager, was June 27th around 9pm EST), known mostly for conservative talk, basically applaud the death of a cyclist in New York. He read an article about the incident, then commented how cyclists are stupid stubborn idiots that like to play chicken with the big SUVs on the road. His comments went further to state how his death should be expected and was deserved, and all cyclists should only ride in parks because the roads are for him to drive his big SUV. He got a few angry cyclists that called in on the air to ridicule before moving on to other stuff.

• [...] read more | digg story [...]

• Scott Johnson July 19, 2006 at 6:34 am

It's appalling, and it's definitely wrong. Unfortunately, it doesn't meet the standard for obscenity, profanity, or indecency, so the FCC (after formally considering it) will quietly chuckle at your complaint and file it.

You would have been wiser to have written a postal letter to the station protesting the program. Such letters are required to be retained in the station's public inspection file.

I ride every day in Atlanta traffic, and one of these days, some jerk is going to turn me into a hood ornament. This attitude isn't uncommon among motorists; these two just seem to have an audience. :)

Scott

• IAn July 19, 2006 at 7:11 am

What ever happened to free speech?

• [...] Yesterday, my initial post was voted to the front page of Digg.com, one of the most highly-trafficked sites on the web. Since Friday it has been viewed over 9,000 times. [...]

• Defy Traffic on Fixed Gear Bikes July 19, 2006 at 10:35 am

[...] radio show promotes hatred toward cyclists Wow… BikePortland.org » Blog Archive » Local radio show promotes hatred toward cyclists “He then encouraged listeners to call in and tell more stories of cyclist who had been smashed bycars because the thought of it really pumped him up. [...]

• Steve July 19, 2006 at 11:13 am

I read a story about your “The Playhouse” host promoting hatred toward cyclist and was disgusted. Its bad enough that many motorist don't pay attention to other cars, motorcycylist, and bicyclist, but to promote hurting or killing cyclist borders on the criminal. Your “The Playhouse” host should apologize on the air and fired. Do you really think this is a good use of the airwaves, or is useful in anyway other than to harm others?

• [...] I am growing increasingly concerned that no official organization or agency has made a public statement about this situation. [...]

• Jesse July 19, 2006 at 7:18 pm

They already have, had you just listened to the show.

• Jesse July 19, 2006 at 8:01 pm

did you all just miss T's(101) comment on the other radio host who said a bikers death was deserved and expected? PK didn't even get close to that, yet no one is going after the other radio host. Sad.

• JEFF July 20, 2006 at 11:50 am

Maybe before all of you get all pisses you should have listened to the show. You've blown this out of proportion and you people are the ones that look like idiots. the dj. In no way shape or form asked the listeners to call in and tell there hatred stories. The dj also in no way said anything about he hopes bikers die. Get your facts straight and think as an idivigual before you cry.

Playhouse rules

• moi July 21, 2006 at 5:31 am

JEFF is obviously a Playhouse fan. How much did you get paid to type that JEFF?

BTW - is there a mp3 or transcript of this broadcast avaliable?

• BLDZR July 21, 2006 at 7:31 am

alas, more hub-bub as a result of hearsay will not get any more positive attention. I've been searching for a podcast of Mr. Prager's June 27 show, but have been unable.

Look, if you have heard the objectionable material, then stand up against it. Make it available to others. But make up your own mind based on what you hear yourself, not on hearsay and allegation. Otherwise, it's simply a witch hunt, and that's something I can't stand behind.

I have heard the edited portions of the infamous Playhouse show, and have heard PK's subsequent responses to this issue. He's a douchebag, and deserves censure for his behavior. Hell, he deserves to have horrible things happen to his car. But I don't live in Portland anymore and can't do that. Dammit.

Mr. Prager probably does, but until someone can make his broadcast available, I withhold my opinion. I would advise others who are going on rumour and conjecture to do the same.

• Brad July 21, 2006 at 9:49 am

Ian - the "free speech" argument does not apply to this situation. PK does have the right to say what he likes and no one here disputes that. We also have the same First Amendment right to complain about his speech and ask for action. We have not violated his speech rights by doing so.

The Framers intended the First Amendment to protect the rights of people to criticize government without fear of sanction or retribution by said government. While the courts have broadened this definiton over time, it is not a blanket protection for any and all speech. The courts have refused to fully endorse or protect speech that is hateful, intimidating, or commercially driven. PK's statements fall into this grey area and his employer can see fit to discipline him should they feel it is in their best interests. (Ex. - they start losing ad revenue)

There are limits. Otherwise, I should be able to yell "Fire!" in a movie theatre, incite riots, use disgusting racial epithets wherever I like, and tell every woman in my office, "Nice rack!" without fear of consequence, charges or reprisals. In short, while PK was legally within his rights, it does not shield him from any intended, unintended, or legal fallout from his words.

• Jesse July 21, 2006 at 3:38 pm

I don't think calling people up and saying you are going to kill them is under the first amendment. That is a crime. So some people should remember that. Sure there are many friendly people, but they have been threatening people as well.

• Carissa July 22, 2006 at 5:59 pm

Dear readers,
    I posted previously (#70) about what I heard on the show, so I'll take this opportunity to expand to how the community is reacting. It is clear that few people, bikers and drivers alike, are aware of bike law, and this lack of information results in anger from both bikers and drivers. The host of the show stated he was upset with “bikes who act like cars,” and previous posts exclaimed that bikes are not on par with SUVs, however bike law does treat bikes as cars and bike lanes as vechicle lanes. Everyone needs to be better educated on bike law—-drivers so we understand when bikes have the right of way or how to treat bike lanes, and bikers so we understand when we should obey the law and when we have the right of way.

I myself am an Oregon transplant, and was ignorant of bikes and bike law when I moved here. When I took the DMV test, I was surprised that there was little information on the legal rights of bikers and how to address situations in which bikes and cars meet. I believe there is a separate DMS handbook on bike law, which leaves drivers largely in the dark about how to interact with bikes on the road. Drivers would have to actively seek out bike law information in order to understand it, which is not an effective way of educating the community. I admit that I myself, as a biker or driver, have never read the bike handbook and learned the laws through word of mouth. I venture to say that this is how most bikers and drivers learn how to interact on the road. It’s counter intuitive that bikes often are legally on par with cars, so drivers need to be actively educated, not threatened or vilified.

Everyone needs to know how the law comes into play in everyday situations such as when there is no bike lane or at 4-way stop signs. So, how do we go about this? I believe that bike law and common bike+car situations should be included in the DMV driver booklet and test. Public awareness of bike law needs to be raised in a way that is unemotional and authoritative, and the DMV test is the heart of all this. I suggest we begin a public campaign to raise awareness of the laws that are in place to protect us all. I have put in a call to Sam Adams, and will report back with his suggestion for how to go about this.

As for 95.5, I have heard rumor of death threats and threats to fire bomb the station, which I find irresponsible and counter productive. It is, in fact, the same type of violent behavior we are trying to prevent. I know the host recently went on a bike ride in downtown Portland with a WW reporter, and I commend him for that. I would like to also suggest that 95.5 take part in the campaign for public education, perhaps by airing facts about bike law in common situations during the day. There is no use for hate, only education.

I hope we as a community can channel the hype and emotions surrounding this issue into a productive and mutually beneficial educational campaign which reaches drivers and bikers.

• Russell July 22, 2006 at 10:35 pm

Carissa,

Excellent post. I agree with everything you said. The most positive outcome that could come from all of this would be greater education and awareness of all road users.

• John July 23, 2006 at 5:25 pm

I don't listen to 95.5 as I don't like the music they play (I prefer Hard Rock/Metal but don't listen to 101 KUFO as their DJ are terrible and talk too much) so It would be nice if someone who is a listener would post a list of their advertisers so we would know what local businesses to boycott as they don't really list advertisers on their website.

• phizy July 25, 2006 at 8:39 am

You all have way too much time on your hands... most intelligent people would know its just a show and no one wants to harm bikers... I am a biker and I was not offended by anything pk had to say because I know its just a show .

• [...] We’re at a crossroads with the Jammin 95.5 situation and the community is choosing to venture down separate paths. [...]

• Mike July 29, 2006 at 6:03 am

I agree with PK. Idont know how many times a biker has got in my way and looked at me like it was my fault. I will let you have full controll of the road once you pay for the taxes for it like I do.

• Don August 1, 2006 at 10:11 am

Remember to call the police any time a motorist hassles you, cuts you off, or in anyway threatens you. Drivers change their attitudes when a police officer shows up at their home with a complaint of assault. You don't have to go through with the charges if you can get the motorist to issue an apology.

• Joel C. Brothers August 1, 2006 at 1:52 pm

Aa a former DJ for a radio station, I'm gonna tell you all how to put a stop to this, period!

Find out who the stations sponsors are (listen to the commercials and take notes). Then, get a group og local bicyclists together and vist, and write letters to all the sponsors and tell them you will publically advocate a boycott of thier products if they continue to advertise with that station, and tell them why. Then, go to the station and tell them what you are doing, and let them know it will continue unless the offending radio personalities are Off-Air.

Also, you can consult lawyers as to the possibility of filing an ex-parte lawsuit against the station, the station manager and the DJs for inciting Hate-Speech. You may also contact the FCC and FBI as I believe that is a Federal crime.

It doesn't matter if any of this goes to completion. The station is not going to take a chance with thier sponsors, and they do not want the negative publicity involved in this type of campaign. End of problem, and it sends a message.

• hugh August 6, 2006 at 11:31 am

you should get the whole story b4 you talk shit it's stupid people like you that are wrong with this country

• SKiDmark August 6, 2006 at 3:12 pm

Mike , read the Oregon Revised Statutes. You are required to share the road with cyclists. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

• Alan August 6, 2006 at 5:18 pm

Mike, cyclists pay taxes when they purchase a bike or bike parts/equipment...a percentage of that goes to maintaining and building roads. Also, since cyclists do minimal, if any, damage to roads while riding on them, that more than makes up for any "lack of taxes we pay" and saves the state (and you) quite a bit of cash.

As long as the law says we can ride on the roads, then your argument on taxes doesn't matter. Want us off the roads? Change the laws...and good luck doing so 'cause we won't let it happen!

• [...] And just a quick update on how that story has spread around the web. So far, at least 79 blogs have linked to the post, and according to my traffic stats it has been viewed nearly 23,000 times (twice the amount of the first Jammin 95.5 post). [...]

• [...] The Playhouse, a radio show recorded at KXJM studios in Portland and syndicated to a handful of other stations throughout the country, has taken anti-cyclist to a new level. â��When I hear on TV that a cyclist has been hit and killed by a car I laugh, I think itâ��s funny,â�� the host said on the show.read more | digg story [...]

• Michael August 17, 2006 at 11:42 am

Is anyone else being spammed by Rose City Radio?

I have been getting their spam ever since complaining to them about the hate speech. The spam includes a link to remove yourself from their email list, but it does not work.

You can forward these to spam@uce.gov as a means of formal complaint.

• [...] It’s been almost a month since I last wrote about the Jammin’ 95.5 radio show story, but I haven’t forgotten about it. [...]

• daniel August 30, 2006 at 1:56 pm

results of email to bta.......
    There's no deal -- that's a baseless internet rumor. We had conversations, not negotiations.

The results are: PSAs, PK taking a bike ride, and a clear understanding at the station that anti-bicyclist rhetoric will not be tolerated. Not everything we wanted, but it's a start.

Thanks for being a BTA member!

Best,

Evan

Evan Manvel
    Executive Director
    Bicycle Transportation Alliance
    office: 1979 SW 5th Ave., Portland
    mail: PO Box 9072, Portland, OR 97207
    (503) 226-0676 x12
    evan@bta4bikes.org

Help us open minds and roads to bicycling: http://www.bta4bikes.org/support/join.php

On Aug 23, 2006, at 9:58 AM, Daniel Hoyer wrote:

> Evan
    > As long time member of the BTA I would like to know what the results of your
    > negotiatons with radio were?
    > Its my understanding that noard members have made a deal with the station and I for one
    > woulf like to know whats going on
    > Thnax for your help
    > Regards
    > Daniel Hoyer

• WoeJoe September 9, 2006 at 11:00 pm

This just goes to illustrate how some drivers really do intentionally use their vehicles as weapons, although we would rather not admit it because it would mean restricting access to cars, like access to weapons. If you Americans are happy with everyone having free access to guns and other dangerous weapons, then by all means let crazies like this get away with it. If it were my town though, I would be very scared.

• The Man October 30, 2006 at 8:39 am

Good Lord, deal with it. Don't get hit by a car, and he won't laugh. Get over yourselves, get in a freakin' car. And who said on the show that they intentionally HIT people, she said cut them off, no turning pathetic cyclists into speedbumps.

And what's with the gay-ish photo of crossdressing bikers? That's just wrong, freakin' Oregonians.

• [...] through the years, our traffic culture is also a place where hate is all too common. Remember back in 2006, when a Portland shock-jock said, “When I hear on TV that a cyclist has been hit and killed [...]