San Francisco-based Timbuk2, a bag brand with deep ties into the bicycle industry, will open a retail store in Portland next month. This is the company’s eighth flagship store in North America (they also have stores in Toronto, Venice Beach, Seattle, San Francisco, Denver, and Chicago).
The new store is on SW Stark between 11th and 12th, across the street from West End Bikes (and just around the corner from Chrome, another national brand in the same product niche). Bike-centric highlights of the new Timbuk2 store include a repair station with loaner tools and an air pump and a free bikeshare program for customers who need some wheels.
A launch party happens on July 11th and will feature food, music, and a raffle to benefit the Bicycle Transportation Alliance.
Learn more in the press release below:
Timbuk2 Opens Up Shop and “Factory 2” Custom Bag Building Workshop in Portland on July 6
The San Francisco original celebrates opening with an interactive customization station, bikeshare program and public Launch Party on July 11
SAN FRANCISCO (June 25, 2015) – Timbuk2, a San Francisco original, today announces the opening of its Portland store on Monday, July 6.
Timbuk2’s newest North American retail space is located at 1142 SW Stark Street in the exciting, progressive West End District, just blocks from famed Powell’s Books and across the street from West End Bikes, a haven for Portland cyclists. Situated in the street level spaces of the Mark Spencer Hotel, Timbuk2 partnered with award winning retail design firm, Gensler, to bring the historic location to life as a truly unique, community-minded shop, while staying true to it’s natural character. The original fire-damaged ceiling and exposed vintage hardwood columns are left in tact, making Timbuk2 Portland truly one-of-a-kind.
Store highlights include:
· An indoor parklet designed for hosting events and community meetings
· Complimentary bike repair station with permanent bike pump and tools for public use
· “Factory 2”, a custom bag building workshop designed to inspire and encourage guests to design their own, made in SF | CA bag
· “Rob’s Wall”, in “Factory 2”, inspired by Timbuk2 founder Rob Honeycutt’s original SF workspace, showcasing the storied evolution of Timbuk2
· Lifetime warranty on all products and a full stock of replacement parts for easy in-store repairs
· Custom made, handcrafted tables and fixtures made from locally-sourced wood to display Timbuk2 products
· A complimentary bikeshare program featuring PUBLIC bikes, Lazer helmets, Timbuk2 messenger bags and Kryptonite bike locks
Timbuk2 worked with Gensler to create “Factory 2,” the in-store custom bag building workshop inspired by 25 years of manufacturing in San Francisco. “Factory 2” features a vintage sewing machine, cassette and headphone music station where customers can listen to tunes, and a not-so-secret peep-hole that reveals streaming footage and audio from Timbuk2’s San Francisco factory. In “Factory 2”, guests dive into the iconic bag building experience, where they can design a one-of-a-kind backpack, messenger bag or tote with over 60 fabric and finish combinations. Custom bags are then made-to-order in San Francisco and ship within 5-7 business days.
Timbuk2 Portland will showcase the company’s product line of more than 100 styles of bags and accessories, including a series of limited edition Oregon State patch bags, Classic Messenger and Prospect Packs, all available while supplies last.
“Opening a store in Portland was a natural choice for us,” says CEO Patti Cazzato. “This is a town with a strong sense of community and a thriving bike culture – core values that drive us at Timbuk2. We are excited to officially be part of the Portland scene.”
To celebrate the store’s arrival in Portland, a public Launch Party will take place on Saturday, July 11 from 12pm – 7pm. Highlights include:
· Bites from Portland’s own Voodoo Doughnut and Hop Dog with libations from a Portland-based brewery
· Relax and be entertained by live funk artist Elliot Ross of Moongriffin and a DJ spinning real vinyl
· Pedal your way to winning a free custom bag in the Timbuk2 Bike Sprints competition
· Complimentary bike valet
· Enter the raffle to win a new Payette bicycle from Miir and products from Timbuk2, with 100% of the funds benefitting Portland-based Bicycle Transit Alliance (BTA)
· The first 60 customers will receive a complimentary tote made from upcycled ballistic nylon
· All customers during the event will receive a gift with purchase
More details on the party and to RSVP: bit.ly/T2PDXLaunch
— Want more bike industry news? Check out the Ticker archives.