Support BikePortland

Fall leaves provide beautiful bicycling backdrop in Portland (Photos)

Posted by on October 25th, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Fall colors on SE Ankeny.
(Photos © J. Maus)

With this picture perfect weather we’ve been having I decided to take the long way home yesterday in order to see some fall colors. At the recommendations of some friends, I found my way to SE Ankeny where the bright yellow leaves of golden ash trees (thanks for the identification help Esther!) lined the street.

Riding in fall when the leaves have turned is one of the secret pleasures of going by bike. Sure, you can see leaves from a car; but on a bike, you feel literally surrounded by them. I shot most of the photos in this post with a wide angle while pedaling to give you an idea of what I mean…

I plan to shoot more fall scenes as I see them around town. Where are favorite spots to see the fall colors by bike?

Please support BikePortland.

K'Tesh October 25, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I like the shoulder of Hwy 217… 😉

Ted October 25, 2011 at 5:21 pm

The trees alongside good sams on lovejoy are splendiferous solid colored beauties!

dwainedibbly October 25, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Great shots, thanks for the post. Let’s all remember that once it starts raining (Friday?) leaves in the road will NOT seem so nice. I do like riding through them when they’re dry, though.

A.K. October 25, 2011 at 6:04 pm

When the leaves are falling off of the trees, Irving Park is a great place to ride/walk through. I use to live just down the street from the park and loved seeing it in the fall.

And is it just me, or does it seem like the leaves are taking forever to turn this year? It’s almost November and there are still plenty of all-green trees…

Schrauf October 25, 2011 at 9:14 pm

I think our cool & cloudy spring and summer caused many leaves to stay green longer, as they try to make up the lost energy production. That, and we are a week past the average first frost date, and yet that frost has not occurred (in the Central City anyway). It is the freezing or close to freezing temps that really get the change going.

jim October 25, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Perhaps on the waterfront?
    This reminds me, it’s getting time to rake the leaves out into the street again.

RC October 25, 2011 at 7:29 pm

NE Knott especially east of 33rd.
    And I agree with A.K. – very late colors this year.

Spiffy October 25, 2011 at 7:34 pm

I’m wondering what the translucent thing in your basket is with the bicycle design on it…

Ted Buehler October 25, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Lovely leaves.

And a gentle reminder to start thinking about riding in leaves and mud.

Cut back on speed.
    Allow extra space when turning.
    Put knobby tires on your bike for better grip on the road surface through a layer of leaves.
    Lower your seat for a couple days if there’s a serious risk of wiping out on your commute.
    Be extra vigilant.
    Buy fresh batteries for your headlight.

Ted Buehler

Maren October 25, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Rode through Laurelhurst the other day; beautiful.

esther c October 25, 2011 at 10:32 pm

This is a great time of year to take a ride up to the Japanese Garden. You can’t ride through it and it costs money to get in. But its a nice ride up there and a beautiful walk through it. I think its the best time of year to see it. Especially if you have any out of town visitors, they’ll be delighted.

Shetha October 26, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I’ve been color spotting by bike on the old columbia river highway. This clear crisp weather is perfect for it! When the leaves flutter down, I like to try to catch them as I ride along 🙂

Paulie October 26, 2011 at 6:49 pm

The leaves in front of Franklin High on Woodward are turning crimson right now. Gorgeous on a sunny day!