Bike Gallery is the official sponsor of 2007 Cyclocross coverage on BikePortland.org

Sauvie Island event latest sign of ‘cross enthusiasm

Posted by on September 17th, 2007 at 12:49 pm

Good, dirty fun.
(Photo courtesy
Portland Racing)

All signs point to a huge cyclocross season this year.

Cross bikes are flying off the shelves of local shops, the first Alpenrose Cyclocross Clinic had a record 149 participants, and Saturday’s inaugural Kruger’s Kermesse race — the first chance to race cyclocross bikes this season — had over 400 participants (even 30 kiddie racers showed up).

Race organizer Kris Schamp reported that the day was full of great racing, especially the Men’s Category A race which he said “was a treat to watch.”

According to Schamp, all the big names — including top professional road racer Doug Ollerenshaw — formed a pack at the front and took off on a blistering pace. In the end it was rising local star Molly Cameron who shook off the others and pedaled to a solo victory.

The ‘cross season gets off to an official start on Sunday, September 23rd with the Hood River Cyclocross Classic.

If you want to be part of the action, grab your bike and check out the this week’s Cyclocross Clinic (9/19) at Alpenrose.

Also, stay tuned to BikePortland.org for tons of cyclocross photos and event coverage. After my Cycle Oregon training camp, and with a new Kona ‘cross bike thanks to Sellwood Cycle Repair, I’m looking to do as much ‘cross racing as I can.

• wyatt September 17, 2007 at 1:19 pm

I did this on my Karate Monkey. Did I place well? Absolutely not. But it was loads of fun =D

I\’m dread having to carry it…

• a.O September 17, 2007 at 2:57 pm

Cross bikes can fly? Holy Cow, I gotta get me one of those.

• David Ross September 17, 2007 at 4:09 pm

I wish there was a whole series of these \”farm crit\” races, dismounting and remounting is overrated. Great job Kris! I\’m still wishing I could have won the Kona longboard in the raffle though.

• SA September 18, 2007 at 9:32 am

\”dismounting and remounting is overrated\”

Yeah, I understand the sentiment, however let\’s not be too vocal about it, lest the \’cross traditionalists run us out on a rail. Hide your carbon fiber too.

Actually, it\’s more than alittle ironic that I finally take up cross…once I move out of Portland to go to school.

• Ironclad September 18, 2007 at 9:47 am

that was an awesome event. Period. More, more! Encore!