Tour de Lab September 1st

Reader email from Iraq

Posted by on April 2nd, 2006 at 10:41 pm

I love emails from readers. They run the gamut from people seeking advice to diatribes about this or that bike issue. I got one last Friday that I won’t soon forget. It was sent (along with this photo) from a soldier in Iraq named Joe:

“Jonathan, I really enjoy your website and can’t wait to get back to Fort Lewis to do some more cycling in the Northwest! I’ll be coming down to Portland as soon as my deployment in Iraq is complete. In the meantime, I’ve been doing my stationary cycling on my spinner in order to keep in shape for the STP. Thanks for supporting the great cycling of the NW!”

I love it. There’s Joe, out in the hot and dangerous deserts of Iraq and he’s got his official, U.S. Army lycra on and he’s dreaming about the upcoming STP ride. Rock on Joe! Be safe out there, and remember to drop me a line when you get to Portland.

Please support BikePortland.

todd April 2, 2006 at 11:17 pm

helmets on stationary bikes is going too far, though, doncha think?

i might never have gotten into cycling if not for the US Army, 20 years ago. see, they didn’t care how you stayed in shape, as long as you could pass the regular physicals you didn’t have to do the hateful early morning group jogging jody-call pushup BS. so i started biking instead, and just never stopped.

Ethan April 3, 2006 at 8:54 am

I like the IBD (improvised bicycling device). I think there’s a Jody call that will conjure the NW . . . “In the early morning RAIN, my friends thought I was insane . . .cause I signed up to lend a hand, wanted to be a fightin man . . . “

josh m April 3, 2006 at 9:05 pm

i think if he’s wearing his interceptor armor… the helmet is for safety from shrapnal and not falling…

Steve April 4, 2006 at 5:35 am

Hey Joe – Only you.. you look great.. keep motivated.. it is still early in the deployment. Are you keeping track of your miles? I think you should ride the distance between Iraq and Fort Lewis. Knowing you… twice..take care and keep safe. LTC D

Adam April 4, 2006 at 6:07 am

This is great!

Brittany April 4, 2006 at 8:10 am

Hey Joe, You’re lookin’ pretty hot (in more ways than one). I look foward to seeing you and cycling with you upon your return.

Be Rad April 5, 2006 at 7:23 am

Joe, I’m glad to see that you find the time to stay in shape when you’re not busy protecting us from the Terrible Terrorists that are Terrorizing us with their Terror! Frikin’ evil doers! See you in a couple of months pal. -B

Barry April 5, 2006 at 9:23 am

Joe, your looking a little distressed…do you need to throw up in this little cup? That picture sort of reminds me of an IPB BRIEFING!!!NO…NO…its the spidey strech….

kristopher April 11, 2006 at 9:29 am

Joe you are a pimp. Looks like you are passing a stone in that picture though. Maybe you had one too many kebabs. Be safe.

John Adkins December 21, 2006 at 8:42 am

Joe: One day we might have the privilege to meet on the road. Know that we support you and send Gods speed to come home safe.

Thanks:Burly Firefighter 856.

the future December 11, 2008 at 12:06 pm

this story makes me experience several emoticons of happiness. welcome back joe.