The 2014 World Naked Bike Ride is one month from tonight

Posted by on May 7th, 2014 at 8:48 am

Pre-ride crowd on the Park Blocks in 2013.
(Photo by M.Andersen/BikePortland)

Oregon’s biggest pay-what-you-will bike ride of the year, which also happens to be the largest clothing-optional bike ride in the world, will start rolling June 7 at 8 p.m.

The 2014 edition of Portland’s World Naked Bike Ride will begin in a new location: Normandale Park on NE Halsey between 55th & 57th Avenues. It’s a few blocks northwest of the 60th Avenue Green/Red/Blue MAX stop.

“We’re off the beaten path but in a very central and spacious green space,” organizer Stephen Upchurch wrote in an email Wednesday. “As per tradition, the route will not be disclosed but the ride is one-way and will not return to Normandale or end close by. The end spot will be a transit-accessible location with a rad party and beer for those over 21.”

Last year’s ride, which for the first time began on Portland’s south Park Blocks and was hosted by the Portland Art Museum, drew an estimated 8,150 mostly unclothed participants.

The Facebook event for this year’s ride is gathering steam fast, and the WNBR’s official web site is looking great.

The WNBR is, of course, the biggest single ride in Pedalpalooza, Portland’s annual festival of bike fun. The festival consists entirely of rides and other events submitted by ordinary bike users, and the calendar is starting to fill up. So don’t delay — anyone can add an event to the listing for free.

Comments
  • kiel johnson May 7, 2014 at 10:05 am

i already have my costume!

• dwainedibbly May 7, 2014 at 6:16 pm

My costume is in my sock drawer! :)

• indy May 7, 2014 at 10:59 am

Anyone else wish they announced the date a little bit earlier? I don’t know about others, but I book out my summer weekends MONTHS in advance. I was expecting this in July, to be honest (much warmer than early June.)

This’ll be the first one I just can’t make due to scheduling conflicts.

• TonyJ May 7, 2014 at 11:09 am

They actually announced the date many months ago.

• Buzz Aldrin May 7, 2014 at 5:01 pm

It’s always in June.

• dwainedibbly May 7, 2014 at 6:18 pm

First weekend in June, if I recall.

• BIKELEPTIC May 8, 2014 at 6:58 pm

(I am one of the organizers. Anyone is welcome to volunteer in any capacity.) WNBR announced the date on April 1st. Part of the reason why we don’t announce the date sooner is because it hasn’t been finalized with the city, all the permits, rentals, licensing, etc. It would be awfully embarrassing to make a press release and then go to a neighborhood association meeting and the site doesn’t get approved or the route not approved by all parties, etc.

Hate to have to post a confusing retraction and re-press release.

• TonyJ May 9, 2014 at 10:46 am

That’s odd because I put that date on my calendar in October. Looking for where I heard it, but I absolutely know that I did.

• Rosalena June 3, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Its the same week every year darlen

• Chris I May 7, 2014 at 1:42 pm

That’s right by my house! BBQ!

• BIKELEPTIC May 8, 2014 at 7:00 pm

Also you only have 2 weeks to post your ride on the Pedalpalooza calendar if you want it to be printed in the Mercury’s Bike Edition event calendar.

• Terry D May 9, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Welcome to my neck of the woods everyone!