‘Window pane bandit’ (or a copycat) hits another bike shop

Posted by on February 3rd, 2012 at 7:59 pm

The thief (thieves) made out
with a Surly LHT.

Southeast Portland bike shop Seven Corners Cycles was broken into this morning. The thieves (or thief) made out with one new bike (a large, black Surly Long Haul Trucker), seven Chrome messenger bags, and some lights and locks.

According to shop owner Corey Cartwright, they entered the store by carefully removing a glass panel next to the front door — using the same method as the “window pane bandit” that hit several bikes shops back in November.

In that month alone, six Portland businesses (including three bike shops and one bike rack retailer) were broken into via the same method. Following that crime spree, police offered a reward for tips leading to a suspect, but so far no arrests have been made.

Cartwright says the police that responded to his case determined that this, “fits the pattern of the other thefts”; but they were reluctant to say that it was the same suspect.

Seven Corners is a small neighborhood shop with a stellar reputation. Keep your eyes peeled around town and on Craigslist for a 60 cm Surly Long Haul Trucker with 700c wheels and new Chrome bags showing up on Craigslist.

Comments
  • Nick V February 4, 2012 at 6:06 am

Corey’s a really good guy. I hope they catch the thief.

• canuck February 4, 2012 at 8:09 am

The horse has left the barn on this one, but considering the number of thefts of this type, maybe bike shops should start acting like jewelry stores and stop leaving expensive enticing items in the window.

And I’ll go back to that tired old song. Window bars and/or securing the bikes with cables and locks.

Obviously bike shops are being targeted, make your store less enticing to theft, they’ll move on to those car dealerships with the big walls of glass.

• sorebore February 4, 2012 at 9:22 am

Shop dogs… big,strong,angry, aggressive,shop dogs.

• Kristen February 6, 2012 at 9:25 am

Yeah. They have a big dog named Daisy, but she’s far too sweet, and fond of belly rubs, to be a guard.

• K'Tesh February 4, 2012 at 9:33 am

Hopefully the bikes get recovered soon, and the thief gets what he deserves.

I’d suggest that bike shops such as the ones that have been victimized should consider getting some anti-theft films for glass…

(not an endorsement of any single product, but added for demonstration purposes)

• twistyaction February 4, 2012 at 10:33 am

The window pane is being removed in its entirety so making it shatterproof with a film would only help the thief as he would have to be less careful when removing the pane.

Corey and his staff are some of the nicest in the business and I feel really bad for them. Most if his windows already have bars, with the exception of the front door and the narrow window beside it. I’ve been dilly dallying on installing cameras in my own business, but this lights a fire for me.

I know of a number of bike shop break-ins in the southeast (some multiples in the same location) that have deliberately not been publicized. I believe the rationale is to not announce how easy your business is to steal from. So this type of thing happens more often than you think.

Since the de-glazer bandit seems to be on a pretty free for all spree, I hope PPB is putting some (and by some, I mean any) effort into it. That being said, if I come across a bike thief, I will do my best to leave them u-locked by the neck to a parking meter.

• captainkarma February 4, 2012 at 3:52 pm

My t-shirt says “there’s a special place in hell for bike thieves”.

• Mike February 4, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Is there an inexpensive way to put gps tracking devices on bikes?

• henrik February 6, 2012 at 9:07 am

Not yet! But there are a few companies working towards a consumer friendly priced unit… hopefully they come out soon!!

• beth h February 5, 2012 at 6:46 am

The challenge for retail businesses — especially smaller ones with a tighter facilities budget — is the cost of some alarm systems versus their actual effectiveness. Most thieves who are good enough to quietly remove entire panes of glass (so as not to arouse suspicion by making noise) are usually good enough to disarm alarm systems. Some alarm companies don’t respond quickly enough to alarms; and some alarm systems are so sensitive that gust of wind through an older, drafty building is all it takes to set them off (resulting in false alarm charges for the retailer).

As for bars over the windows, many shop owners don’t want to resort to that because “it’s not Portland” — i.e., it’s something you’d see more typically in big eastern cities. I think that’s part of the lie too many of us tell ourselves about Portland still being a sweet, innocent small town. It isn’t anymore, and hasn’t been for a long time.

• bhance February 5, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Grrrrr…. angrily awaiting video footage of these thieving asshats so we can get the pitchforks out.

• middle of the road guy February 5, 2012 at 9:39 pm

At least it was a cheap bike.

• Spiffy February 6, 2012 at 7:41 am

2x the cost of my bike, which was expensive to me… and 3x the cost of a new bike I’m looking at… I sure couldn’t afford to write off a $1200 bike…

• captainkarma February 7, 2012 at 2:07 pm

That seems like such an odd thing to say…

• captainkarma February 7, 2012 at 2:08 pm

about the price of a bike..

• middle of the road guy February 9, 2012 at 4:15 pm

It could have been much worse if the bike was more expensive.

• Patman February 6, 2012 at 8:47 am

What installing a Motion Activated Alarm System?

• Scott February 6, 2012 at 9:27 am

The thief and how he removed the pane was filmed completely when he stole a bike from West End.

It obviously did nothing to help the inept police.

Cameras are to stop theft by employees, not thiefs operating from outside.

Think about it. APB on man wearing a hoodie? Give me a break.

• Joe February 6, 2012 at 10:24 am

Friday at noon LHT just like this one near Oak and 4th, noticed it matched pic, since the stem has a huge rise. * around lunch so I missed the post timing *
    but one never knows if its just legit owner. but I always keep my eyes open.

• twistyaction February 7, 2012 at 11:41 am

The picture is from the distributor’s catalog (watermarked “QBP”), and I believe it is intended only as an example, not to be confused with a photo of the actual bike that was stolen.

• Lara K. February 6, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Such a shame. Corey and the gang are such a rad group of guys and it’s extremely unfortunate that this happened to such a genuine crew.

And yes, Daisy is a dog with a halo.