San Diego bike shop ‘Velo Cult’ relocating to Portland next month

Posted by on December 22nd, 2011 at 10:07 am

(Photo: Velo Cult)

Bicycle Retailer & Industry News is reporting that Velo Cult, a well-known bike shop based in San Diego, California, plans to relocate to Portland by mid-January:

“Boyer has narrowed his location search to two spaces in Portland that are four to five times the 1,200 square feet he has been operating out of in Southern California. The extra room will allow for a broader product line, adding more cyclocross, 29er and steel road bikes to Velo Cult’s touring, commuter and randonneuring offerings.

The shop, which opened as Velo Culture in 2006, will also increase its already heavy emphasis on cycling culture, such as art and events, noted Boyer. “We’re pretty much a Portland store in the wrong city. We’re very commuter-oriented, very city-oriented,” he said.”

According to BR&IN, Velo Cult will bring their four employees to town as well.

Easy to see why they want more space.
(Photo: Russ Roca/Path Less Pedaled)

On SDBikeCommuter.com — a forum site started by Velo Cult owner Sky Boyer — a Velo Cult employee wrote, “We are leaving with heavy hearts.”

As for the equally sad loyal customers the shop will leave behind, Boyer told BR&IN, “I wish I could take them with me. But some are talking about moving to Portland, so maybe I’ll see them again.”

From what I know about Velo Cult, the shop will fit right in here in Portland. Sheepless Magazine covered the shop last year and wrote that,

“This is not a place where greasy, scabby-kneed road warriors intimidate you with their superior knowledge of how your bike works. In fact, Velo Cult exists in direct opposition to that style of bike shop…

Today, Velo Cult is recognized world-wide as a an authority on all steel bikes, custom builds, and vintage recreations, and will soon unveil their own first original models. Locally, however, Velo Cult is also known for proactively promoting bike culture and community…

…Sky has never taken out a business loan or used credit for his business—so even if things go bad, he’s never going to be in debt. Additionally, they can’t—or don’t—measure profitability in a traditional sense, as the store hasn’t “made” a dollar, he says, but they do grow month by month even in this down-turned economy, offering new merchandise, expanding the store, opening a second warehouse a few miles down the road, and continuing to offer free community events. He sells what he likes—all steel bikes and top quality accessories—and nothing more, keeping inventory simple.”

This is just the latest sign that Portland’s bike economy is thriving and that people continue to move their lives and businesses here based solely on our respect and culture of bicycling.

We’ll bring you more about this story soon. For now… How about a nice big Portland bike lover welcome for Velo Cult!

Comments
  • Andrew K December 22, 2011 at 10:27 am

sweet! welcome to Portland. The more bike shops the better as far as we are concerned.

• Alex December 22, 2011 at 11:00 am

Welcome! Now the question is where will they be in town.

• Sky December 22, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Thanks for picking up this story Bike Portland. Myself, my family and my employee’s are very excited to experience your great city. I think you will see right away we were meant to be a part of this city. See you soon and I look forward to our grand opening because it’s going to be one heck of a party.

• Allan Folz December 22, 2011 at 1:55 pm

While Portland is picking up another great bike shop, the continued exodus from California is undeniably an omen for our country.

Consider 30 & 40 years ago one would have been an absolute fool to leave southern California for the Pacific NW. Such a waste, such a shame.

• Joe December 22, 2011 at 2:09 pm

yee haw my cuz’n is coming into town. this is a great shop and should really add to the Oregon/Portland bike culture. sooo stoked!

• Aaron Bowen December 22, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Portland you are one lucky city San Diego is losing the best bike shop we had and the greatest guys in the business!! Good luck Velo Cult!!

• middle of the road guy December 22, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Each new shop means less business for the others.

• Sky December 22, 2011 at 3:31 pm

My shop is known for creating more cyclists so if anything I should be helping the shops around town. That’s what’s happened down in SD. All the shops did noticeably better after I started up. I certainly don’t mean to step on anybody’s feet and hope to promote and help other shops as much as humanly possible. We are just a group of friendly bike nerds that love what we do.

• robmccullough December 27, 2011 at 9:12 am

I think you’ll find it hard to deny that EVERY bike shop was experiencing growth in 2006 whether you were in town or not. That growth, at least in Portland, has leveled off quite a bit and I doubt that you coming here will increase ridership in any appreciable way. We already have more bike shops than I can count. We already have some of the highest ridership in the country.
        Have you spoken to the owners of other shops in Portland about the market here? or are you going on assumptions?
        Good Luck with your move, but if you really want to spread bike culture maybe you should go somewhere that doesn’t already have one.

• joey December 22, 2011 at 3:54 pm

That’s why you typically find fast food restaurants next to each other.

• sorebore December 22, 2011 at 8:29 pm

My good friend Ali Shirazi ,a wonderfully talented Chef, while sharing his Friday night dinner special, along with mine,(from the joint next door), before service, would say in his pensive Persian accent….
      “There is another restaurant opening/closing in town!!!” to which I would ask, ” Ali, how many reservations do you have tonight?”… “108, Why?” .. to which I always responded “Relax Ali.”

• miguel December 22, 2011 at 3:20 pm

@MOTRG
    there’s a lot of pie to slice

• Esteban December 22, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I certainly won’t be moving to Portland (I love San Diego), but wish my friends the best of luck!

• sorebore December 22, 2011 at 8:31 pm

I am waiting for the housing to drop there, so I can get outta here!!!!! hahahaha. SUNSHINE!!!!

• dwainedibbly December 22, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Welcome to PDX!

On one hand, I think this is great. We get another fantastic shop! On the other hand, I’d almost prefer that a shop which clearly “gets it” stays out of Portland, to help spread the word elsewhere.

• sorebore December 22, 2011 at 8:32 pm

you are so right on!

• anthony sands December 22, 2011 at 6:09 pm

This is great! The more the better. You can never have enough restaurants, bars, and bicycle shops. Welcome home Velo Cult.

• Joshua December 23, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Velo Cult was one of the better shops around when I lived in San Diego. The staff are all really nice and knowledgeable, but more importantly they hosted a lot of community based events.

• Jason Whitney January 9, 2012 at 2:55 am

When Sky told me he was relocated to Portland I was sad for San Diego but happy for him, the crew and the people of Portland. I’ve been considering moving back up there this summer 2012.

Good luck Sky.

• Neil Schneider January 11, 2012 at 5:08 pm

We’ll miss Sky in San Diego, but I’m sure he’ll bring a different perspective to Portland. From what I’ve seen of bike shops there, when I visited, Velo Cult will be as unique there as it was here. Look forward to visiting my next trip North.