New bike shop in Sellwood opens Friday

Posted by on January 6th, 2010 at 10:33 am

Love the shadow.
(Photo: Eric Deady)

Portland’s Sellwood neighborhood is on a roll. Their new bike boulevard opened last month (although it’s not 100% done yet) and now a new bike shop, Bike Commuter, is set to open this Friday.

Bike Commuter is located at 8315 SE 13th Street, just south of Umatilla, which is the cut-through street for the popular Springwater Corridor Trail

The shop is owned by husband and wife team of Eric and Naihma Deady (pronounced Dee-dee). The Deadys live right around the corner from the shop with their two kids, ages 10 and five months. We caught Eric on the phone this morning between hanging photos and building up bikes in preparation for opening day.

Story continues below

Eric, 38, said he’s been dreaming of opening a shop for about 20 years. When a perfect space opened up, he finally decided to leave his job as a deckhand for a tugboat company (which he said he “was complaining far too much about”) to make that dream a reality.

The Deadys at BikeCraft V.

Eric is a former mountain bike racer and graduate of United Bicycle Institute who said he’s been the go-to mechanic for his friends and family for years. His goal for Bike Commuter is to “make it a family-friendly, community store.” Eric also hopes to, “Empower people and have them start understanding that using a bike is a viable alternative to a car for short trips in most cases.”

Bike Commuter has about 1,400 square feet of space (split between an upstairs and downstairs space) and Eric says they’ll carry bikes from Raleigh and Washington-based Traitor Cycles and a full selection of racks, bags, lights, and other gear. While in the shop you can also enjoy the awesome bike-inspired stencil paintings of local artist Anthony Baysore, who Eric met at last month’s BikeCraft event.

Bike Commuter will be open six days a week (closed Mondays) from 10-7.

The shops joins Sellwood Cycle Repair in helping stoke Sellwood’s bike-friendly future. (Eric tells us that Sellwood Cycle owner Erik Tonkin has been “very welcoming and helpful” and that the two are eager to keep the local bike momentum going.)

Bike Commuter Opening Day Celebration
    10-7, January 8th
    8315 SE 13th St.
    More info at PDXBikeCommuter.com

Comments
  • Jonathan Maus January 6, 2010 at 10:34 am

New blog post: New bike shop in Sellwood opens Friday http://bikeportland.org/2010/01/06/new-bike-shop-in-sellwood-opens-friday/

• Joe Metal Cowboy Kurmaskie January 6, 2010 at 10:49 am

Excellent for the Erics and Sellwood. Wishing you Deady guys success – my first touring bike was a raleigh. Love the shadow bike in the window.

• Michelle BombetMinch January 6, 2010 at 11:00 am

RT @BikePortland: New blog post: New bike shop in Sellwood opens Friday http://bikeportland.org/2010/01/06/new-bike-shop-in-sellwood-ope

• Gavin Mahaley January 6, 2010 at 11:04 am

This shop is looking fantastic! Congratulations!

• BicycleDave January 6, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Right on my commute home! Glad to see another option.

• amanda January 6, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Awesome! Can’t wait to stop in!

• Ed January 6, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Thanks for the news, Jonathan. I am so lucky,since I live in the neighborhood almost equidistant from the 2 shops. I got my roadbike from ‘the other Eric’, Tonkin, and have gotten great service from those guys for yrs and will now check out my new neighbor. My cup truly runneth over. I love to do business w/ local folks, especially when, as is obvious about these 2, it’s not just about the $$.

• bahueh January 6, 2010 at 3:15 pm

what I wouldn’t give for a shop to be open on Monday…I know its the usual, but an open shop would be well, unusual, now wouldn’t it?

• Jupe Blue January 6, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Since Eric lives around the corner, you could probably knock on his door on a Monday and he would open just for you. He’s that kind of guy.

• Eric Deady January 6, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Indeed I would open for you on Monday bahueh, but be warned, it would cost you at least a cup of coffee or a PBR at the very least!

• KWW January 6, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Good luck with the shop!

• ma January 7, 2010 at 8:52 am

I heard that the real story behind this shop is that the Deadys used Mercy Corps micro-loan services when conventional banks turned him down. The same banks that our tax dollars bail out. A true hero in this economic climate.

I wish you the best on your new shop!

• BicycleDave January 7, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Stopped by New Seasons last night on my way home and saw free tubes with an announcement for the grand opening on all the bikes locked there. I must have just missed the tube fairy. Could have used one too as I had my 4th flat in 4 days this morning. Nice marketing touch! I’ll try to stop by tomorrow.

• Argentius January 7, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Ma, I respect your opinion and perspective, but this is probably too public an environment to be disclosing the specific nature of a shop’s financing, unless Mr Deady approves…

• Jupe Blue January 7, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Last night Eric’s shop was highlighted last night on KPTV (Fox)in a spot about Mercy Corps and their micro loans.

• Argentius January 7, 2010 at 9:15 pm

So they did, my mistake — I do not follow tv news!

• Fatboy January 8, 2010 at 3:20 pm

He’s competing with the very, very best shop in the Portland area–Sellwood Cycle Repair. Hope there’s room in the neighborhood for both of them!

• Jala Smith-Huys January 11, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Walked by new @PDXbikecommuter shop in Sellwood today – http://bit.ly/6suZbr. Nice addition to the neighborhood. #portland #pdx

• Mercy Corps NW January 11, 2010 at 2:31 pm

RT @EmbarkCreative: Walked by new @PDXbikecommuter shop in Sellwood today – http://bit.ly/6suZbr. Nice addition to the neighborhood. #po …

• Ed Borasky January 12, 2010 at 12:54 pm

• david....no the other one January 13, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Congrats! PDX can always use more LBS, even better locally owned. Go Deadys!!

• h May 2, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Stopped in the shop. The owners were awesome. Eric knows some signs. It is easy for me to communicate with him on my bike needs. Big double thumb ups.