Gateway Green backers will unveil big plans at open house

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on April 10th, 2009 at 12:57 pm

A shot of the Gateway Green Bicycle Concept Plan.

The Gateway Green project is moving fast and backers will have a lot of exciting news to share at an open house next week.

The project will create a 35 acre natural area just north of the Gateway Transit Center in a piece of vacant land that sits between I-205 and I-84 in East Portland.

Story continues below

The big draw at Tuesday's open house event will be the first unveiling of the recently completed Bicycle Concept Plan (note: this is different than the existing Gateway Green Vision Plan that was is available on their website and was completed in May 2008). Bikes will play a major role in the Gateway Green project and plans call for numerous trails and skills areas to accomodate a wide range of interests and skill levels.

A tour of East Portland-1.jpg
The proposed location of Gateway
Green, looking south on the I-205
bike path.
(Photo © J. Maus)

I got a sneak peek at one part of the Bicycle Concept Plan. It shows sections of the park that would be devoted to, "gravity/technical riding" a kids play area, "moderate" and "low density" singletrack trails, and "perimeter bike trails".

The project's two main backers -- developer Ted Gilbert and East Portland and parks adovocate Linda Robinson -- are keeping the latest announcements about the project quiet in hopes of a big turnout at the open house (which they say is key to show community support). Besides the Bicycle Concept Plan, Gilbert and Robinson have recently formed a non-profit "Friends of Gateway Green" group.

At a recent visit to City Hall, I ran into Gilbert and Robinson as they finished up a meeting with Parks Commissioner Nick Fish. Fish is considering taking a larger role in support of Gateway Green and he has referred to the project as "an historic opportunity".

Come to the open house on Tuesday (4/14) to learn more about the project and for opportunities to get involved.

Gateway Green Open House
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 7:00 to 8:30 p.m.
    Gateway Elks Lodge (711 NE 100th Ave, Portland)

-- Friends of Gateway Green website
-- BikePortland's full coverage of the Gateway Green project.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • Lenny Anderson April 10, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Note that the Tillamook Bikeway ends at 92nd Avenue, with no good way across I-205 to the I-205 Trail. Only option is Halsey...busy, high speed street or sidewalk. I hope something is in the works of that key gap.

• gabriel amadeus April 10, 2009 at 3:33 pm

daannnng, I downloaded the plan pdf from their site and it looks awesome!

See you there on tuesday!

• P Finn April 10, 2009 at 10:32 pm

And that air blowing in off of two heavily travelled interstate highways? To die for! Literally! Carbon Monoxide! The whole 205 trail! Smogorifick!

• mykle April 11, 2009 at 12:46 pm

So, the MMR went out there last night, and I can see a lot of potential for the site, but it's totally suffused in noise and smog.

Looking at the vision plan, they have some ideas for stormwater management, and they at least mention air quality. But what about the noise pollution? People who hang out at this park could get hearing damage, as well as asthma and bronchitis.

• BTodd April 11, 2009 at 6:35 pm

maybe forest park? just kidding, there are only 5,000 acres there. not the 35 we need.

• rolinon April 11, 2009 at 7:20 pm

OK, so this looks to me like a grandiose plan that on *paper* seems awesome, but I am holding back any judgment until I actually see it on the ground. This is the area I have come to call *Tweeker Gulch* for obvious reasons. I have encountered numerous characters in that area over the years that ranged from winos to meth freaks. I remember one, who in the shadows of the early morning light, looked like the twin of Charles Manson as he reached to grab my handlebar at the bottom of the hill as I swerved just in time!

So, I'm wondering what will happen with the homeless who live under the bridge or hang out in the wooded areas? Maybe the area would be better used as a campground for the homeless, the downtrodden, the tweekers.

Also, as mentioned before, if the noise and exhaust don't getcha then the second hand smoke at Gateway Transit will, since smoking is not allowed on the Max platform, the 205 bike path has become the de facto smoking area. Nothing like topping the last steep slope going south and sucking in a nice gulp of carcinogens.

• retrocyclist April 12, 2009 at 4:19 pm

As a cyclist I have ridden this area for more than a decade. Yep homeless, condoms, needles, and aimless smokers waiting on the Max. When I get to the 84 I always recall the awesome image of the rail cars laying on their sides.

This space used to be a great little urban dirt city where one could blast wide open on an ATV and no one would hear you. or so it seemed.

The area seems perfect for this type of development. Having been on a team that developed many large recreation properties the numbers proposed appear woefully inadequate. The devil is always in the details. So admittedly it is nearly impossible to truly evaluate from the PDF. In my opinion if you doubled the projected expense I would still strongly support such a project.

A very famous high tech exec one said that he often noticed the best ideas as they were the ones that were so out there that some would laugh.

Bring it on! I love it! Muah ha ha

• Linda Robinson April 28, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Join Portland Parks & Recreation's No Ivy League in the fight against invasive species at Gateway Green

WHEN: Saturday, May 2, 2009
    9:00 am to 12:00 noon

WHERE: Go to the Gateway MAX station. Cross all the train tracks. Access to the I-205 bike path, which will take you to the work site, is at the north end of the station (the end closest to Rocky Butte).

We'll be removing invasive species in the low, wooded area near the center of the site -- where there is much less noise than at the access points or even the existing trail, because it's lower than both freeways.

You are advised to wear grubby, washable clothing, long pants, long-sleeved shirt and sturdy shoes or boots (because it can be dirty work -- and thorny blackberries often grow amongst the ivy!). Be sure to bring rain gear, if needed -- and work gloves, if you have them. Tools will be provided by ODOT; some gloves will be available. Water will also be provided.

Individuals are strongly urged to pre-register, so we can provide enough tools and supplies. Just send an email to linda@gatewaygreenpdx.org to let her know you will be there (or that you MIGHT be there). It would be helpful to know if other family members or friends are coming with you -- and how many of them.