Radio show host responds

Posted by on July 14th, 2006 at 4:53 pm

We just got a response from P.K., host and creator of The Playhouse, the local morning radio show that broadcasted hateful, anti-cyclist comments on their program last Wednesday.

P.K. contends that his comments were taken out of context and that we shouldn’t jump to conclusions until we’ve heard the broadcast (I asked him for a copy of it). Here’s his statement (my edits for readability are in parentheses):

“I first ask, did you or any of your biker friends even hear the broadcast? Let me help, we discussed how SOME bikers even though (they) HAVE the right of way, do not mind their surrounding and should start. I also mentioned that I DO NOT have a problem with riders as long as they realize that a car will kill them and thus PAY attention and do NOT RIDE with ought (without) caution. I STILL have that view as one of you (that thinks is a car) almost caused a pile-up involving three other cars and myself. Also, I do believe I even shared my interest in riding to work in the early hours, leading me to ask again…. did you even hear the broadcast????”

He then invited any of us “that have a problem” to come on his show Monday morning.

It has also come to light in the comments that this isn’t the first time The Playhouse crew has shown complete disrespect for the community. In May of 2003 the Willamette Week called them out as their “Rogue of the Week.” It was the show’s third Rogue of the Week designation in as many months.

I have a hard time buying the “out of context” argument. Radio is a transient medium where people tune in and out for a few minutes at a time. Thousands of people can hear the inappropriate content and then turn the dial before amends are made. Thus, the damage is done.

Regardless, given their history it seems clear that this show relies on inciting controversy. I wonder how many times they can upset the community before they’re held accountable.

Comments
  • tonyt July 14, 2006 at 5:08 pm

I find it interesting that he side-steps the whole controversy with the “did you even hear the broadcast?’ thing. That really is beside the point.

Did he say “When I hear on TV that a cyclist has been hit and killed by a car I laugh, I think it’s funny”?

Jonathan, did he provide you with a copy of the tape?

I think the only way the above quote could be taken out of context would be if he had first said, “I’d be crazy to think . . .”

PK, did you say it? Where’s the tape?

• Joe July 14, 2006 at 5:35 pm

this is just a sad attempt from a pathetic man
    somone needs to fire his ass

• lanette July 14, 2006 at 6:18 pm

I know without a doubt he said that when he hears a cyclist has been killed I laugh. if it is missing from the tape he edited it out. i admit to not hearing the entire broadcast. But what I heard was enough to make me sick. I’m sure an impressionable kid also heard this portion of the show. Damage has been done:

• Drake July 14, 2006 at 6:25 pm

Don’t they rebroadcast all the playhouse morning shows on Comcast channel 14? I’m not sure what time it’s on, but I’m certain they play previous shows pretty often.

Time to set the VCR!

• shhambo July 14, 2006 at 6:31 pm

Playhouse is on ch 14

Monday – Saturday at 10:00 PM
    Monday – Thursday at 11:30 PM
    ON DEMAND (not available in all areas)

• Donna July 14, 2006 at 6:45 pm

Does anyone have an idea of who this program’s advertisers are? I checked the program and 95.5′s sites and they don’t really say.

• Jim July 14, 2006 at 7:04 pm

The reality is – this morning show is a clone of “morning madness” that has been going on for years inmany markets. The lineup is formulaic and the jokes are simply pandering to a lowest-common-denominator market.

PK’s comments are sadly also routine for a “nuthouse morning show” that simply deals in reaction instead of meaning. There’s sometimes a fine line between “dislike” speech and “hate” speech, but when anyone advocates violence, it’s easy to chase someone off the air.

PK, you may want to remind your listeners (and now scrutinizers) that you are not advocating violence in any way, since radio’s tolerance of this stuff has shrunken way way down.

BTW, just because “you bike too” doesn’t let you off the hook. Just because “only some bikers are bad” doesn’t let you off the hook. Just because “someone else on the show said it” doesn’t let you off the hook. Advocating violence in an FCC market broadcast gets you Gone. “B’bye Gone.” Ask the ClearChannel lawyers what part of history you’re repeating.

• patrick July 14, 2006 at 7:06 pm

Again,

I state from experience, these DJ’s are given pretty fair rein on these Morning Shows. So long as they aren’t breaking FCC rules they often will have shows like this to get a response. It’s all a “gig”. They are probably sitting over beers right now talking about how they got everyone all fired up and how they were making half that crap up.

I’m not defending them, from what I’ve heard I don’t agree with it, then again I don’t agree wtih a lot of stuff I hear people saying.

People got a right to disagree and say stuff that people won’t like. People have a right to let people know when other people say stuff they don’t like.

He won’t get fired, advertisers won’t pull their ads, it’s just lame game…..

• Jason July 14, 2006 at 7:57 pm

Wait, he invited us to his show on Monday? Why don’t we rally a posse for a group listening of the broadcast?

• SKiDmark July 14, 2006 at 8:15 pm

Still, this is Portland, and a lot of people ride bikes. Some of those people are more than capable of defending themselves in the event of a confrontation.

The problem with him saying crap like this is that there are mindless jockos in their tin boxes who might get the idea in the reptile brains to fuck with some cyclist, and unfortunately 1+ tons of steel has the advantage.

• patrick July 14, 2006 at 8:26 pm

You know I often think the same thing….

“I have never understood how someone who drives around in a car and WATCHES sports thinks they are tougher than someone who has the endurance and strength to commute by bike.”

• Joe July 14, 2006 at 8:30 pm

if i can get some people to go up there on monday….we could get breakfast and coffee before and then maybe go for a ride afterwards? just shove it in his face that this is a bike city and it is always going to be

• Jonathan Maus July 14, 2006 at 8:48 pm

Just remember that we will all be better off if we use this situation as an opportunity instead of making it worse by fighting fire with fire.

I think P.K. might be an upstanding guy who just doesn’t realize the magnitude of his actions and might sometimes let his on-air persona cloud his judgement.

His tone has become much more sensible in a recent email exchange.

I told him I would come on his show under two conditions.

1) I am able to listen to the show beforehand.
    2) He joins me (and perhaps a group) for a ride around the city.

I’ll keep you posted with his response.

• lanette July 14, 2006 at 9:24 pm

Jonathon I would also like to listen to the tape. I would like to make sure it hasn’t been edited to protect pk and his posse. 3 would also like to join the ride. i agree that pk just needs an education and was most likely reacting to recent events. He just went way too far

• Joe July 14, 2006 at 9:29 pm

ok, i listened to his show on a podcast. i could only go for about 15 minutes before i thought my head was about to explode. on air persona or not, that man said bitch almost everyother word. i also heard faggot slipped in. just some really hateful tripe.

• Joe July 14, 2006 at 9:31 pm

i would never ride with this man. going on a ride for me is reserved for friends and non douche bags

• Mikee July 14, 2006 at 9:44 pm

I don’t care how reasonable he sounds now, after the sh*t is hitting the fan. If the quotes from the original post are really what was said, he should be fired. In cases like this, words can kill. Radio is an intimate media where people connect with the on air personlities. It’s not hard to imagine someone with less than perfect grasp on reality not getting the “joke” and taking things a little too far.

If he said things that could encourage violence towards cyclists, it should be one strike and he’s out, if nothing else, as an example to other DJs.

Jonathan, if you listen to the tape and it’s bad, I don’t think you should should be trying to win him over to our side, you/we should be trying to make a statement that this kind of thing is unacceptable.

• Russell July 14, 2006 at 10:01 pm

While I disagree that anyone can be an “upstanding guy” who makes a living pandering to a certain type of cultural sickness, engaging him outside of his show isn’t a bad idea.

You should be very careful going on his show however. I saw it once on channel 14 and it looked like the “talent” didn’t have much more to offer the world than date rapes and AIDS jokes. You are not going to be sitting down with Charlie Rose.

• Cate July 14, 2006 at 10:09 pm

I also disagree with the “upstanding guy” possibility. Another link: http://www.wweek.com/editorial/2926/3865/

The article is three years old, but the recollection of it might be helping him become “more sensible” now.

• Jason July 14, 2006 at 10:12 pm

I think we should ride from the radio station to PK’s house (or a max station) to show him how easy it is.

You can go here http://www.radioplayhouse.com/ for the podcast of the show. The thing is, it’s in 4 one hour blocks and you can’t fast forward through them.

• lianagan July 14, 2006 at 10:29 pm

How about giving it a group listen, then making signs with some of his hate-mongering slogans and parading them around in front of the station during one of his broadcasts..

• Dominique July 14, 2006 at 10:34 pm

Hey guys, don t make cyclists look like jerks. Let it go, the guy has a microphone and a lot more people listening to him than YOU.
    He has the power to shake things up if he wants, be real.

Smile and move on.

• Ben 'Polyheadl Smith July 14, 2006 at 11:55 pm

Hmmmmm.. i hear the sound of air escaping tires… wonder what caused the leak.

• Jeremy July 15, 2006 at 12:19 am

This is not a new thing. Look at the League of American Bicyclist’s website for their run-in with Clear Channel. for one.

• marc July 15, 2006 at 7:11 am

itunes has their show and in a display of what gutless turds they are the july 13th show is NOT listed except for a ‘reality tv update’ which seems to happen everyday. both friday and wednesday each have 3 additional segments available for download but there is NOTHING for thursday.

what are they hiding?

• Joe July 15, 2006 at 7:39 am

you know, i just went to LAB’s site and went to differents states version of bikeportland and i just have to say i love portland just a little bit more. this guy has attacked something that we all love and hold dear. when someone does that, what do you do? you get pissed! i’m with you jonathan on doing whatever you (and we all) can do to get this rectified imm.

• Garin July 15, 2006 at 7:43 am

I think that that someone who is intelligent, has a good head on their shoulders, and would be able to go down to the show and speak on air to these people about the comments in which they made would be the best thing that could occur.Perhaps maybe a few people with one basically taking the lead in the discussion.

• Joe July 15, 2006 at 7:45 am

just found this!

• Sara July 15, 2006 at 8:01 am

I’ve checked the podcasts and I can’t find Thursday the 13th’s show, other than the Reality Bites segment. Friday the 14th has already been posted, so Thursday’s should already be up there.

I’m thinking this means they won’t podcast this episode. Or perhaps they are taking longer for edits.

• 99th Monkey July 15, 2006 at 8:18 am

I would ride with him; in a loop during afternoon rush hour around Broadway, Stark, Clay and 10th, so he could experience firsthand the most dangerous strrets in downtown! How many times do you think he could make the uphill ride on Broadway at over 10MPH? How many times would he have to avoid getting doored?

• Joe July 15, 2006 at 9:02 am

i can’t believe how lax some people are being about this

• SKiDmark July 15, 2006 at 10:06 am

Going on his show gives him the power. He can turn off your mike and talk over you. He can take what you say out of context and use it over and over in sound bites.

A protest at the radio station, and a boycott of their advertisers is the way to go.

Having a “private meeting” with him in the parking lot when he gets off of work would be the most effective.

• BLDZR July 15, 2006 at 10:07 am

If I were still in town, I would certainly take this man up on his offer to come on the show. I would repeatedly call him “fatass” and talk about how it’s funny when local celebrities get fired and lose their houses and families for the sake of a bad joke.

If anyone goes on this show, it will do the cyclists of portland no service to play the “civilised” card. you’ll only continue to make cyclists the butt of jokes – including violent ones – for more time to come. The guy is an ass, so he deserves to be treated like one. As long as the person/people who go on the show are confident and quick witted, they’ll do well.

This guy is just a bully, and you don’t appeal to reason with bullies, you stand up to them.

• Joe July 15, 2006 at 10:41 am

skid is right, trying to talk to a shcok jock on his show is asking for trouble

• Donna July 15, 2006 at 11:09 am

My housemate had a bad incident with a car full of young men in the age range that I assume is the target demographic group of this radio show. It happened the afternoon of the 13th. They were calling her every nasty, derogatory term for a female you cound think of. She was doing nothing but sitting in traffic waiting for the light to change like everyone else. She has never had people in cars speak to her this way before. In other circumstances (after dark, less traffic/people around), this is exactly the kind of scary-interaction-unique-to-the-female-cyclist incident that Jonathan has reported on in the past.

Between this program’s normal view on women and what was said on the cyclist program, it wouldn’t surprise me if women on bikes have some really unpleasant interactions with members of the program’s target demographic audience in the coming weeks. It doesn’t help that the weather is nice so they’re out cruising in their cars. My only hope is knowing that this group of young men often have a very short attention span and perhaps they’ll move onto the next thing quickly before someone really gets hurt.

• novaflare July 15, 2006 at 12:38 pm

Unfortunatly with these sorts of people theres not much you can do that wont simply give them new material. Unless one of you is lucky enough to get hit by the bozo and be relitivly un hurt this guy will just keep on doign what he does. If yu get tagged it will be a media frenzzy and any court case against him and he will loose he advocates caueign cyclists harm says he laughs when cyclists are killed by cars etc.

This will make any accident he has with a cyclist look like a purposful act. Even better would be if he tags a cyclist with out any serious harm in a area where he would not normaly be. this would show even if it was not the case that not only did he delibratly hit a cyclist he was activly looking for a target

That would be very serious jail time for atempted murder. Thing is no one would beleive that it was a ccident at all.

I ride all the time ive had numerous run ins with bad drivers and drivers delibratly harrassing me or trying to run me off the road. Ive faced one down and had him drive off after i kicked in his already caved in door when he blocked my way. I tried going behind him he backed up and i was not about to try and go around the front. Another guy possibly same one tried to run me off the road 3 times last year on he same section of roadway.

• Paul Strand July 15, 2006 at 7:24 pm

Now doesn’t this bad treatment from the shock jock just make you appreciate all the more the sweet coverage we at CBN just gave biking in Portland?

• Joe July 15, 2006 at 8:18 pm

touche`

• Joe July 16, 2006 at 12:08 am

• Caroline July 16, 2006 at 5:05 am

The only time I ever (accidentally) listened to the Playhouse, they were – I kid not – making fun of handicapped people. I couldn’t believe my ears.

Who don’t they trash?

• novaflare July 16, 2006 at 6:31 am

All your going to do by a protest is give this reject more ammo to get ratings with. Nothing short of the FCC going after them or jamming the stations signal during his show will do a damn thing.

“Joe
    July 16th, 2006 00:08

well,i’ll be there monday morning to protest.if anyone else is there, amazing, if not, too bad for you. “

• Jennifer July 16, 2006 at 7:42 am

I know Joe and a bunch of us are meeting downtown at like 7, 730ish. 8 at the latest. if anyone else doesn’t know where the place is at you’re welcome to meet up with us, at the square most likely, but email me at traderindeath82@yahoo.com

• Joe July 16, 2006 at 8:13 am

• novaflare July 16, 2006 at 9:08 am

not sayigng to notdo any thing. Just that a protest unless its absolutly huge wont do a dang thing but give him more to go on about. For example
    You show up wiht a couple others maybe even have a dozen in yoru cycling shorts. This guy will likly talk on air about the “fag cyclist out in front with his lovers protesting my show its quite a site to see. Hey i got a great idea how about a bunch of you listeners come down here and toss crap out your windows at them”

Unless you can get say 30 or more people both cyclists on bikes and in cars and non cyclist friends alike there dont bother.

Now i see that portland has quite alot of sites like this dedicated to cycling so heck you might be able to get 30 40 or more people togather and realy stick it to these bozos. I personaly hope you can. Here i ohio we dont got very much in the way of trouble like this and id love to not have it. A good example set there may just help to prevent this nonsense here in ohio and else where. If i had a good job where i could take time off and take a trip out there and you had say 30 or so people prmised to show id be right there with you.

Im a total ass when it comes to people like this “shock jock” moron jock is more like it.

Lets just say if you hit me while trying to scare me you best damn kill me or ill feed you my bike :)
    ” Joe
    July 16th, 2006 08:13

doing nothing is the worst thing you can do nova! i’m sick of this apathetic bullshit “

• Jennifer July 16, 2006 at 9:27 am

• novaflare July 16, 2006 at 10:12 am

Hey if you can get that large of a group togahter for this then go for it. What im saying is if you only got a few people youd just do more harm than good. You dont want to give people like this shock jock more material to use in his radio etc broadcasts.
    Im a big supporter of putting a stop to this sort of crap. These sorts of people get others killed.

I guess because i dont live there none of this effect me personal well guess freaking what it does. Cause guess what his little radio show is also on pod casts online for all to hear. Crap like this isnt limited to a single city county state or even country any more so what happens here in ohio rleating to cyclist in this sort of medium also effect you in portnland and what happenes there effects things here.

So next time you want to jump down some ones throat because they have a opinion that differs from your ideas maybe you should think about that little fact.

I happen to support the idea of a large organised protest and would be right there in the middle of it all if i could be. Unfortunatly i cant. I cant take the time off fro the job i have if you can call it that nor do i have the money to fly out there or take a bus etc.

All i can do is hope that you all get a big protest goign and shut this moron down.

” Jennifer
    July 16th, 2006 09:27

if you don’t want to get involved in it don’t go on another states board unless you know the city and the people in it saying that things won’t happen. if it’s going to be a critical mass ride it should be pretty big. I know the zoobomb crew plan on going down there, which could easily draw 30 of them, and not to mention all the messengers that know about it too. which I was talking to some about it and the bike shops that most likely have been giving word of it too. trust me if you get about 500 cyclist for a naked bike ride, and on a sunday night at least 70 people doing zoobomb to ride on little kids bikes, I think enough people will come out for this to stand up for their right of safety on the road. “

• SKiDmark July 16, 2006 at 10:18 am

Zoobomber and messengers: that’s a lot of middle fingers flying in the air.

• Eric D-J July 16, 2006 at 4:32 pm

Its funny that the show in wuestion seems to be removed from the iTunes website. He asks if we have bothered to listen, well I tried and its magically gone. Guess we will have to wait or the replacement version that they doctor up.

• Eric D-J July 16, 2006 at 4:37 pm

Does anyone have the show in question downloaded before it was removed? If so can we get it back online elsewhere?

• Jennifer July 16, 2006 at 5:10 pm

that’s right mark times 2.

• Jennifer July 16, 2006 at 5:13 pm

that’s right mark times 2. are you going? what time do you plan on being down there I know joe my roommate and I are all meeting up around 730 am.

also Hey JOE. can we meet at pioneer square instead I made hand bills and put that on there since more people know where that’s at.

give me a call in the morning though.

• shhambo July 16, 2006 at 7:20 pm

so protest@the station tomorow at 730am? meet at 7am at the square and naked ride tonight with the bombers yeah?
    Anyone posted on portland.indymedia yet?

• john bloss July 16, 2006 at 7:55 pm

Jonathan,

Good work getting this issue out into a wider audience…though appearing on the show might be tricky and kind of a setup…but I’m sure you can handle it.

I would emphasize to the DJ that there have been several cycling fatalities in Oregon in the last few months and his comments–if true–just trivialize some people’s lives. There’s no excuse for that…particularly in the guise of radio entertainment.

Separate topic: please note that the blog post on BTA about the Urban Cycling book by Hurst and link with fundraising “spinoff” to Powell’s is now on BTA web site. If you could mention it, that would be some good cross promotion.

Keep fighting the good fight.

JB

• Nick July 16, 2006 at 9:11 pm

I work for another radio company in town. Trust me, if you call the station, do a protest, the station will pay attention.

The worst thing for a radio station to have happen is to have a protest in their parking lot and have TV crews show up.

If you do something, remember, they will do it again unless we show them that this kind of stuff will not stand.

~n

• Tree July 16, 2006 at 9:47 pm

It never ceases to amaze me that people who don’t bike commute think they know it all, and actually have the gall to tell us how to ride.
    These radio personalities, who probably don’t have the IQ to get a journalism degree, no doubt also wouldn’t be able to pass Oregons driver’s test if given it today.
    I emailed the general manager requesting he make those two employees, who have threatened our lives, bike commute roundtrip every work day for a month or two. Sounds like they need to walk in our shoes for a while.

• pdxcommuter July 17, 2006 at 2:42 am

Remember Willamette Week’s Angela Valdez’s story about her experiences after being hit by a car while on her bicycle? I’m guessing that she is as offended, or more so, by PK’s remarks as I am. Perhaps she would like to do a story about this, or pressure whoever choses Rogue of the Week to give PK a 4th award? Angela’s address at Willamette week can be found on their contact page at http://www.wweek.com/contact/ .

• Mikee July 17, 2006 at 5:40 am

I sent the following email yesterday to Henry Stern, who is listed on the Willamette Week website as the Managing News Editor and the person to send Rogue nominations to:

Henry

Hopefully you have already heard about this from other people, but I think some sort of special Rogue of the Week is in order for these serial Rogue slimeballs, the group from “The Playhouse”:

The things they have been sited for in the past, were sickening, but this latest episode could get people KILLED. It doesn’t take much imagination to see one of their listeners taking the ball and running with it and doing harm to some cyclist.

This is all assuming they really said what has been reported, but if they did, they should be off the air at a minimum, fined and probably jailed in my opinion.

This kind of crap is not even original:

I hope you guys run something on this. Its dangerous enough out there on a bike without drivers being encouraged to do damage. These guys need to go.

————-

His email is hstern@wweek.com.

I hope a lot of other folks out there let him know how we feel. I wonder what the record is for appearences as the Rogue of the week. I would think 4 would be a record.

This is only one thing that should be done though. I think complaints need to go to advertisers, the station and the FCC as well, and I would love to hear if there would be any merit in filing a civil suit against them for promoting violence under hate crime laws.

It probably won’t be easy for me to listen to the show, so, if any one can post the names of local advertisers, that would be great – that’s where the real power is.

• Jack July 17, 2006 at 7:21 am

Honestly those of you who think that they can get him kicked off the air or that the shit is hitting the fan should know he’s taken alot more flack then from some morally outraged bicyclists.

• Cate July 17, 2006 at 7:39 am

Thank you, Mikee. I’m waiting for the media to throw a spotlight on this story. Where’s the interview with Tim McNamara and someone from the FCC? Where’s a trascription of Thursday’s show?

I don’t care what PK says. He’s a speck in the dirt. I want to hear from people who can/will make changes.

Was the media at this morning’s ride at the 95.5 station?

• Jack July 17, 2006 at 7:44 am

From what I hear Tim Macnamara himself kicked the bikers off their property.

• Jasun Wurster July 17, 2006 at 7:44 am

Here are some of the show quotes. Note these are edited sound bites. I will get some more up later today.

• harry July 17, 2006 at 7:48 am

The two people protest at the station is very interesting

• Joe July 17, 2006 at 8:25 am

yeah, it was interesting….jsut like portland. at least i know i did my part. and it will continue!
    ok, the whole morning he was saying about no one showing up, WELL WE SHOWED UP AND TALKED TO SOME OF HIS PRODUCERS AND THEY WENT TO ASK HIM TO SEE IF WE COULD COME IN AND TALK AND HE SAID NO! WHAT AN ASSHOLE! i called my girl to have her turn the radio station on and all i heard was PK spewing forth lies

• John July 17, 2006 at 8:34 am

Haha I happend to be listening to the show and that wasn’t one of his producers as far as I can tell that was one of the on air personalities and when you were talkng about how horrible he was the guy just didn’t care so he said he would go ask.

• Brad July 17, 2006 at 8:41 am

Media Lesson # 47 – Denial of Culpability

Step 1 – Claim that you were “taken out of context” and shift blame to:

Listeners
    Those Wronged
    Liberal Media
    Conservative Owned Corporate Media

Step 2 – Appear rational by inviting the other side for on-air discussion. (Note: this is a canard and you never intend to follow through blaming opposition’s lack of interest or fear of facing your mighty truth. Should your opponent accept your offer, spin that he failed to show up because he can’t defend his position.)

Step 3 – Ridicule opponents as “spineless” or “gutless”, claim victory, then move along to the next topic so that listeners forget what the question was.

• Mikee July 17, 2006 at 8:41 am

Novaflare

You’re wrong about not having this kind of thing in Ohio. Cleveland is where this kind of problem first surfaced about 3 years ago. Check out the Cnn link in my post above.

• Monaca July 17, 2006 at 8:43 am

I sorry I didn’t make it to the station. I rode around town trying to find the place from 7:00 to nearly 9:00pm. I needed better directions I guess.

People really do care about this issue. I guess not many people in the cyclist community heard this show because we bike and we don’t listen to trash radio like this station.

• novaflare July 17, 2006 at 8:59 am

ahh ty for link mikee not sure how i missed it
    Mikee
    July 17th, 2006 08:41

Novaflare

• Joe July 17, 2006 at 9:18 am

well, plan on doing it again. but this time, there will be more people. right now, i’m going to start to work on it. monica, next time, i’ll google map it for you

• Lanette July 17, 2006 at 9:46 am

a map would be great. I also rode all over town this morning. I finally found the place around 9am, but nobody was there.

• Joe July 17, 2006 at 10:05 am

yeah, jennifer and i took forever to find this place and when we did it us for a while

• Joe July 17, 2006 at 10:12 am

*when we did, we were there for a little while

• Dean July 17, 2006 at 10:19 am

Wow, you guys are pathetic. You couldn’t organize a birtday party, let alone a protest. LOL

• No Pets July 17, 2006 at 10:40 am

Dean,

will you be protesting our next protest? You seem driven about the issue.

• Eric D-J July 17, 2006 at 10:46 am
  • Carl July 17, 2006 at 11:07 am

Jon Stewart’s appearance on Crossfire is the only time I have ever seen someone confront media blowhards on their own turf…and win. Repeatedly, I’ve heard people I respect and admire appear as “guests” on “edgy” shows where they’re in a defensive position. It NEVER works. They just get trampled and mocked. He who controls the soundboard, the ad-breaks, and the topics determines the message. Nobody’s going to beat an apology out of “PK” or make a coherent point on his show. This loser won’t back down and if he does offer an apology it will be lame and it will only serve to make him stronger and “edgier.” Going on the air with him is doomed to fail and make things worse. I’d love to hear him on the KBOO Bike Show or OPB, but I never will. Here’s why: he knows that he has no power on someone else’s show…just as we’d have no power on his.

What to do? Well, I’m not sold on the protest because unless it’s huge and highly visible, it plays too easily into his routine without making any difference. I’m not sold on the legal angle (FCC, etc.) either because, although it was outrageous and unacceptible, I don’t think what he said is or should be illegal.

Honestly, any energy directed at him is a waste of time and will serve only as fuel for him. If he’s going to lose his job, which I doubt, it will be because of a campaign directed at his sponsors and supervisors. Perhaps one of the best outcomes we can realistically fight for is a well done and funny bikey PSA that is automatically played during his show for a few weeks. I like the idea of publishing his home address for the shenanigans that would ensue. A ‘Rogue of the Week,’ as long as it can’t be viewed as an accomplishment, would be great. A vitriolic ‘I Anonymous’ might be even better.

Something should be done about this, but we have to be smart about it so that it doesn’t end up biting us in the ass.

• Jonathan Maus July 17, 2006 at 11:26 am

Carl,

The only reason I want the FCC involved is because the station is clearly trying to hide the broadcast and they are not willing to turn it over. I’m thinking the FCC can force them to turn it over.

• Dean July 17, 2006 at 11:36 am

Everyone knows what P.K. said, why would he get in any kind of trouble for playing the devils advocate? He was talking about bikers that break the rules on the road. If I were you guys, I would take P.K.s side to show that you can’t stand these people that make the biking community look irresponsible and wreckless.

• novaflare July 17, 2006 at 11:56 am

I warned about this in a previous comment. If you could not get more than a few people to show dont do the protest.

If you want to protest set up a meeting point away from the station and all meet up there instead.

Once you have 30 or so people togather ride drive and walk to the station (i say ride walk and drive because it will make it look more like others are supporting your cause).

If you manage to get 30+ people who can be there multiple days go every day possible. As word spreads over about a week to 2 weeks time your numbers will go from a punyish 30 to a couple 100. You might get a nice chain reaction going. The station could get protested daily by many groups of people that these guys target.

Id also avoid breakign any laws if needed get a permit for the protest do every thing by the book. The worst thing you can do is give this guy more material to work with.

• Joe July 17, 2006 at 12:19 pm

well, nova i would have been there if it was just only me

• Ayala July 17, 2006 at 12:28 pm

I just called Rose City Radio and requested a copy of the broadcast, and after being placed on hold for a few minutes, was advised that they “weren’t sure” if they were going to release that broadcast, and was directed to leave a voicemail for the station’s general manager. I just left a very neutral message saying that I’d like a copy of the broadcast, and how to contact me, not even mentioning the controversy. We’ll see if I get a response.

• Randy July 17, 2006 at 12:52 pm

If someone filed a civil suit against the station, they would have to release the broadcast.

• concerned_usa_cyclist July 17, 2006 at 3:24 pm

First I’m not from Portland but i have had experience with this sort of thing where i live.
    What a bunch of us did was..
    1 we contacted all the local and semi local cycling clubs and asked them to file complaints with the FCC
    2 planed and executed a large protest (it took almost 3 weeks to organise) here you need to have a permit for a protest I recommend checking to see if you need one there or not get one if needed. Get other non cyclists involved in the protest. Motorists joggers etc and any other group you can find who this guy has targeted in the past.

On the days of the protest meet up some where else don’t show up at the radio station it self to start. Get your group to gather then move to the station in a large group or groups.

Plan on being their for the long haul. Have shifts of protesters so that your there all day and all night.

Avoid breaking the law in other words have your protesters create a path where those coming to work at the station need to walk or drive through.

If a individual protester starts trouble make them leave. It will look good for the group as a whole.

Get your local media involved other than the radio station. You goal is to hurt their ratings not feed them material to use in their playhouse or other talk shows.

• Dean July 17, 2006 at 3:25 pm

Shouldn’t you guys be on a bike ride or something right now? Who honestly cares about what happened on some morning show you don’t even listen to. I heard it live, and he was laughing about cycleist that don’t follow the law getting injured. He wasn’t wishing injury on all people that ride bikes.

• Jennifer July 18, 2006 at 12:56 am

Yah the station is in southwest off of corbett and bancroft, just below hamilton. bus 43 takes you right there.

and nova we did set up a meeting point and it wasn’t only us saying where to meet but other people.

also when the air personalities were talking to us I did not mention anything bashing pk but talked nuetrally in a concerned tone about the safety issues that can happen with this situation. after asked if we would talk to him we willingly accepted and said why not we showed up no one else did we still can show that some of us care.

also dean yah he wasn’t wishing injury/death on all people that ride bikes but he should be more specific then his listeners and not only us can take what he said out of context and make it all people on bikes just like should we make it all people that drive?

• Jasun Wurster July 18, 2006 at 7:14 am

Sorry Dean,

No time to ride my bicycle right now when I am contacting my Federal Representative Earl Blumenauer, you know the congressperson that rides his bicycle. Anyhow, since the FCC is a Federal commission … I bet if enough of us contact him the FCC *WILL* take special interest in what happened on the July the 13th.

Here is a copy of my letter if you want to send one for yourself ;)

Dear Rep. Blumenauer,

On July the 13th local Portland, Oregon radio station Jammin 95.5′s morning show, The Playhouse, threatened the lives of every cyclist in our country by inciting drivers to perform violent acts towards those who ride bicycles on nations city streets. The radio station quickly removed the digital archive from the Internet after complaints were lodged against them with the FCC. What is most disturbing is that the morning show is nationally syndicated and originates from the United States most bicycle friendly city. The following website has excerpts from a show that was aired on Monday the 17th of July that has some of the material that aired prior:

Can you please personally relay the importance for the FCC to investigate this issue to ensure the safety of cyclists across out nation.

Sincerely,

Jasun Wurster
    Portland, Oregon

• concerned_usa_cyclist July 18, 2006 at 7:21 am

Jasun Wurster
    Now thats what im talking about. Also maybe try contacting the local bike clubs and advocacy groups and have them to do similar. Both contacting the FCC directly and Rep. Blumenauer their choice. Also other reps who are cycling advocates or just supportive of cycling.

As you said so well
    “threatened the lives of every cyclist in our country” This is exactly what im talking about. This is not just a problem in portland but in this the country in general and quite possibly canada.

• Jonathan Maus July 18, 2006 at 7:42 am

It’s definitely not just a Portland issue. This show is syndicated in 14 markets nationwide. Here is the list of their affiliates and a map below:

• concerned_usa_cyclist July 18, 2006 at 7:53 am

Yeh I know and lets not forget its podcasts are on the net as well.
    Even IF its taken out of context they made sure to choose their wordign carfully so that it could be taken out of context in this very manner.

Jonathan Maus
    July 18th, 2006 07:42

• Dean July 18, 2006 at 7:53 am

P.K. never told anyone to go out and harm bikers. He was joking about injuring the few bikers that don’t follow the rules of the road, which in Portland is a good number.

All the bikers I know personally think you guys need to let it go. They can’t stand the specific bikers P.K. was talking about either.

• Carlos Sas July 18, 2006 at 10:17 am

who is thid Dean guy? Do you ride a bike at all? Jezz, man, grow some hormone-producing glands, dude!
    You are just placing excuses for a behavior that does not have one.
    For all of the bike people in Portland, good luck, and keep fighting that SOB. He definetelly needs a spoke up his urinary tract.
    Sas

• Kaylyn July 18, 2006 at 10:35 am

Dean, I don’t think we mean PK said “go hit bicyclists”. Its more of he’s a public icon for a lot of young impressionable people, and if he says he thinks this kind of thing is funny, then they will go and do it because he kind of gave tem his blessing.
    He is inducing violence. Just like people say video games do the same.

And if you really think we need to get over it and it’s not that big of a deal, then why do you keep coming here and trying to make us even more angry? Why don’t you let it go, and stop visiting this site?

Just a thought.

• concerned_usa_cyclist July 18, 2006 at 10:50 am

Woot you guys are kicking ass and taking names keep up the great work guys.

Again good job portland cyclist.

and oh to dean ou made the bold print your a great troll to make the bold print in a news papper so your goal has been achieved you can now move on to bigger and better things

• Jennifer July 18, 2006 at 11:29 am

what also might be good is to call the local hospitals and find out how many cyclists have been put in the hospital since the 13th, and ask them for the same information let’s say from a month ago for the week of the 13th then. see if the numbers have gone up?

• concerned_usa_cyclist July 18, 2006 at 11:45 am

Not sure that stats like that would help much if thy would even release them to you in the first place. Such statistics tend to swing wildly. Were in to the hotter part of summer now and both drivers and cyclists will feel the effects. Were more likly to pull some bone head move and get our self hit and drivers will also be more prone to do the same bone head moves.

Now this is not to say that you could not use statistics but you would need to go back further. To say the same time last year and infact id go back at least 2 years.

Simply put the bigger your sample the more accuracy you will have. If your or some one else posting here is willing to compile statistics going back at least 1 year from say 1 month prior to this broadcast. Then i say go for it youll have that much more ammo to use against these idiots

jennifer wrote:

July 18th, 2006 11:29

• concerned_usa_cyclist July 18, 2006 at 11:48 am

yikes your site must be getting a boat load of hits it took a solid minute for the site to finish reloading after my last comment. Infact as i write this i still have a busy cursor.

Just a sugestion to jonathan you might want to set your auto email alerts to only send after say 2 comments have been added to releive some stress on your servers.

• Eric D-J July 18, 2006 at 2:28 pm

Checking hospitals wouldn’t account for people getting run off the road, harrassed or things thrown at them that go unreported.

• Clarissa J July 19, 2006 at 3:35 pm

Personally I don’t feel that Playhouse should get away with this sort of neglegent act. I was recently hit by a motorist and that motorist left the scene of the accident. I experience more and more irresponsible drivers daily…and for a radio station to advocate negative action towards cyclists is extremely unforgiving.

• Clarissa J July 19, 2006 at 3:40 pm

Recently I have encountered teenage drivers and passengers shooting water at cyclists with high pressured water guns. This just happened to me last week on 185th in Beaverton while my 2 year old son was on the back of my bike.

• Jesse July 19, 2006 at 6:59 pm

Wow, this whole issue has gone well over board. I too had listened to the show that day when he talked about the whole biking thing. As MANY of people on here have already stated, PK was inciting his listners to hit bikers to do anything to them, yet you all keep on provoking people that don’t need to get provoked. I watched the tv show on monday as well that dealed with the whole issue, and Tim the manager of the radio show had said he received threats of harm. Threats of harm? Over what someone said? Please peolpe, if you didn’t listen to the show yourself, then stop trying to start an evolution. You won’t get him fired, fined, or whatever you hope to do, it is a waste of time. And yes, I am a biker, just to let you know. I bike to work for nearly an hour. So yes I do bike. But please, give it up, PK ain’t a skin head, he isn’t in the KKK, he’s a radio show host. Maybe all of you should spend your time hunting these real “terrorist.”

• Carlos Sas July 20, 2006 at 7:52 am

Regarding the previous comment by Jesse, anyone that have ride a bike as you do, should be more and more concern by the comments of a person that reaches such a wide audience. If you want to believe that guy Tim, saying that he had get threats, well then you can believe that bikes have square wheels. Cannot you see that they are trying to spin the whole issue back to blame the bike community for the actions (or reaction as they would call it) of a group of irrespossible drivers? I am not saying that we all the bycicle riders are saints (hope not) but the issue here is to make the rights of a sector of the community be respected. And do not be soo sure about hte not getting him fired, which may not be a real solution, but do not doubt the weight of public opinion. He may not be a skin-head, be surely behaved like one at that show. Even more important, as you said, he is a radio host: that is one huge resposability that he has to face in every action that his show takes, and if he has to get some fire under his botton for what he suggested, so be it.
    Guys, do not drop the ball on this one, how is the whole letter to the representative thing goin?
    Take care of yourselves and the brothers and sisters around you.

• Jesse July 20, 2006 at 6:36 pm

Well first off, they did indeed played some of the calls that they got from angry bikers, and they were not nearly close to saints. Secondly, getting him fired would do nothing like I said. He would just go to another radio station where he makes more money, and still be heard in portland. So really, you want him to make more money? plus I heard the show that day, and he didn’t insincuate that he wanted bikers dead or harmed at all. One source is not enough to start a riot like this.

• [...] As I mentioned last week, P.K.—the embattled radio personality for KXJM whose recent on-air comments got him into some hot water—went for a bike ride with a local reporter. [...]