The Recyclery re-locates near popular pub

Posted by on June 28th, 2006 at 4:26 pm

Thanks to a tipster, I just found out that The Recyclery, a used bike shop formerly located at SE 46th and Hawthorne, is moving to SE 9th and Madison. This new location is much larger and is right across the street from The Lucky Lab Brewpub.

This is an exciting bit of news because the Lucky Lab is arguably the most popular bikey pub in the city. It is the host of many organized rides (including the Worst Day of the Year Ride), meetings of bike clubs (like PUMP), and fun events (like Chris King’s Tour de France viewing parties).

According to Robby (the shop’s owner) they should be open by early next week, “It’ll still be a mess, but we’ll be open for business.”

He also mentioned that this Friday they’re having a moving party. Just show up to the old location at 6PM (1515 SE 46th) and ride one of their many used bikes to the new location (1417 SE 9th) and enjoy free beer from the Lucky Lab!

Comments
  • Beerilist June 28, 2006 at 8:55 pm

They say ACME is the new Lucky Lab for the biker set…

• Dabby June 28, 2006 at 10:08 pm

Meet me at Lucky Lab, buy me a beer. I will fix your bike.
    Better. For Sure.

• patrick(db) June 29, 2006 at 7:30 am

yay for the recyclery! a bike move to move bikes…what could be better?

• Drake June 29, 2006 at 8:02 am

I’ll be there. FYI, I’ve got dibs on that crazy homemade recumbent that Robby’s got out in front of the shop!

• Evan Manvel June 29, 2006 at 8:42 am

I might argue that Ankeny Alley has the corner on bike-drinkers. That set of bars — from XV to Berbati’s to Shanghai to Captn Ankeny’s sure has a lot, lot of bikes parked near them — including a lot of messenger fixies.

It’s the sort of place they should rip out a car parking place so 14 bikes can get parked there (see also today’s In Portland.

• Anonymous June 29, 2006 at 10:06 am

I saw this on Craigslist yesterday. The Acme is only a few blocks away, and there’s another brew pub on SE 7th just south of Hawthorne, also. Red Wing’s in the ‘hood also.

• West Cougar June 29, 2006 at 10:11 am

Amen Beerilist. LL scene is just a bunch of car-toppers.

• el timito June 29, 2006 at 12:29 pm

Dudes, lay off the Lab bashing. They host the events, they put indoor parking in the Westside location, they 86′d Rev Phil when TMB played the ’05 Worst Day ride – what else do you want??

• jami June 29, 2006 at 1:23 pm

lucky lab’s awesome! mmm, three cheese meltdown (drooling). also, i got a bike stolen in the stumbling blocks/ankeny alley one night when i left it because i was too drunk to bike home. this soured me on that area considerably.

• West Cougar June 29, 2006 at 3:50 pm

What else do I want? Cool people to drink with.

Hey I got nothin’ against car-toppers, I mean compared to car-no-toppers, but that don’t mean I wanna hang-out with ‘em.

ACME number 1. Lucky Lab number 6.

• N. June 29, 2006 at 5:14 pm

I wanted to throw in a mention of Dino’s, on 10th and Hawthorne. I’m a dancer there and I’d say that at least 75% of our dancers are either cyclists, pedestrians, or bus riders, or all of the above. Come support your local bike riding strippers!

• No Pets June 29, 2006 at 7:42 pm

I’m gonna have to back N on that one, Dino’s Rocks!

• SKiDmark June 29, 2006 at 11:32 pm

Can you ride a bike with stripper shoes? Don’t you get glitter all over the seat too?

• N. June 30, 2006 at 9:25 am

I’m sure I could ride a bike in stripper heels. I actually kind of want to do a stripper/bike photoshoot or something; maybe Dino’s should put out a calendar!

• jami June 30, 2006 at 11:19 am

get a room, people.

• anonymous July 2, 2006 at 8:36 am

well good for you, robbie. i hope your awful workmanship catches up with you. seriously, take your bike to dabby.