Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on July 29th, 2005 at 4:01 pm
[I received this information from an inside source in the Oregon bike advocacy scene, I will post a link to the full press release when it is available online.]
This just in from the office of Congressman Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore):
'Conserve By Bike' Provision Included in Energy Bill
$6.2 Million Pilot Program Designed to Spur Bike Use
WASHINGTON, DC - A new pilot program designed by Congressman Earl Blumenauer (D - Ore) has been included into the final version of H.R. 6, the Energy Policy Act of 2005. The initiative, called "Conserve By Bike," establishes within the Department of Transportation a program to oversee up to 10 pilot projects across the country designed to conserve energy resources by providing education and marketing tools to convert car trips to bike trips...
...Yesterday, the House of Representatives approved the legislation, and the Senate followed suit this afternoon. It is widely expected that the President will sign the legislation in the coming days.Email This Post Possibly related posts
- Newly-elected House GOP leader once ridiculed bike commute tax break
- Bike Commuter Act, “Hummer tax loophole” up for House vote tomorrow
- Bike commuter benefit does not survive Senate vote on Energy Bill
- Portland Mayor's office releases statement, poll on carbon tax idea
- Will fourth time be the charm for Bike Commuter Act?