Portland Century - August 18th

‘Gravel Epic’ on Oregon Coast kicks off Triple Crown series this weekend

Posted by on April 30th, 2019 at 11:06 am

(Photos: J. Maus/BikePortland)

Oregon’s gravel riding season is in full swing and this weekend it gets even better with the seventh annual Oregon Coast Gravel Epic, the kickoff event of the Oregon Triple Crown Series.

If you’re on the fence about this one, I have three things to say: 1) See my recap and photos from last year; 2) Come out and pedal a few coastal forest miles with me; and 3) I can help a few lucky readers with a free registration!

The routes and support are top-notch. Mudslinger Events is one of Oregon’s oldest and most respected event promoters and you can rest-assured they’ve covered everything so all you have to do is ride your heart out. They’ve mapped out two adventures: “Abomination” is 61 miles with 6,780 feet of climbing and “Son of Abomination” is 38 miles with 3,900 feet of climbing.

Oregon roads. Oregon bike.

The forecast for Waldport is sunny and mid-60s. Come out and make it a weekend by exploring nearby Yachats before/after the Gravel Epic.

You can register online until this Friday (May 3rd). If you want a free entry, just email me (jonathan@bikeportland.org) a few sentences about why you deserve the prize. I’ll let you know if you won right away.

I can’t wait to get out there! If you head out, look for the special Oregon Triple Crown-edition Co-Motion Klatch. You’ll find me and this awesome bike at Yachats Brewing from 4:00 to 6:30 pm when you pick up your ride packet.

Never miss a story. Sign-up for the daily BP Headlines email.

BikePortland needs your support.

Please support BikePortland.

Jon April 30, 2019 at 1:33 pm

I did this event last year and it was great fun. Good course is good with pretty smooth gravel most of the way. If it was not the same weekend as the Bear Springs mountain bike race I would be doing it again this year. It is worth the drive.

jeff April 30, 2019 at 2:21 pm

Done this a few times, great ride and a great course, see you out there!

Todd Boulanger April 30, 2019 at 4:35 pm

Man, I am sooo jealous. This sounds like such a great weekend event…plsu a free event slot, a free beer, time to hang with Jonathan, …Jonathan fixing my flat tire(s) and carrying my camping gear. 😉

Let's Active April 30, 2019 at 5:14 pm

Newbie question for someone (me) who is interested in getting into gravel riding: what kind of general bike category makes the most sense to use? Any kind of specs that are recommended? Thanks to anyone who has time to pass on some insights.

Kate May 1, 2019 at 9:20 am

I’ve done a few gravel races/rides and always used my cross bike. This year I added slightly wider tires and it’s helped a lot to keep me comfortable (i think 38 in the back, 40 in the front). Really any bike that has the tire clearance should work, including a hard tail mtn bike or hybrid if that’s what you’ve got.

Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) May 2, 2019 at 6:31 am

I agree with Kate. Cyclocross bikes are the best suited for doing unpaved/gravel rides. And yes, I recommend 40 mm tires for when roads get a bit gnarlier… but depending on your skill/experience level, you can do gravel riding with just about anything! And keep in mind “gravel roads” can be a very wide range – from hard-packed and smooth to rocky and wild.

Middle of The Road Guy May 1, 2019 at 9:36 am

Cross bike will be fine – there are minor differences in geometry between a gravel rig and cross rig but not enough to really make a significant difference. Gravel bikes often have more features like eyelets and brazeons than a race cross bike.

Highly suggest discs and a minimum of 33mm tires – all dependent upon the size of the gravel. Tubeless is also recommended to run lower pressure.

There is some very good riding close to town also – south of Scappoose and north of North Plains. Ride with GPS and Our Mother the Mountain have great resources for routes. Mosier and the Dalles are also very good destinations for some gravel.

If you are super adventurous, far Southeastern Oregon is absolutely grand – Owyhee Reservoir, Leslie Gulch, and Steens Mountain are all pretty amazing.

Let’s Active May 1, 2019 at 9:53 am

Thanks, Kate. I have a cross bike and will give it a shot this spring!

Toby Keith May 1, 2019 at 5:55 pm

Sorry I know expensive bikes aren’t too cool here at BP, but those Co-Motions are so damn cool!