Harvest Century September 22nd

Bike Gallery moving Woodstock store to Westmoreland

Posted by on January 12th, 2017 at 4:41 pm

Bike Gallery will move into this space on SE Milwaukie Blvd by the end of the month.

Bike Gallery plans to close their Woodstock location and re-open in Westmoreland.

Bike Gallery Partner Kelly Aicher said the reason for the move is that rent had doubled. The store at 4235 SE Woodstock first opened 12 years ago and the location had been a bike shop for over 40 years prior. “We are sad to leave a spot that has been a bike shop for over 50 Years,” Aicher shared with us in an email today.

The new location will be 6717 SE Milwaukie Avenue. It’s just 1.5 miles west of the Woodstock store and Aicher says it will be much larger. Not only will their be moire room for products and service but it’s right across the street from Laurelwood Brewing and Moreland Theater, so you’ll have plenty of excuses to linger.

Big sale at Community Cycling Center

The final day of business in Woodstock will be this Saturday the 14th and there’s a big sale to lighten their load before the move. Aicher says they plan to be ready for business at the Westmoreland location on January 22nd.

And if you had a favorite mechanic from the Woodstock store, don’t worry: all the staff will move to the new location.

Bike Gallery will still have five other locations including downtown, Hollywood, Clackamas, Beaverton and Lake Oswego.

In other bike shop news, Abraham Fixes Bikes on North Williams Avenue (and Fremont) has completed an expansion. The shop used to face onto Fremont and has now popped into an adjacent space that faces onto Williams (next to the mini mart).

BikePortland is supported by the community (that means you!). Please become a subscriber or make a donation today.

Please support BikePortland.

rick January 12, 2017 at 4:56 pm

Thanks for the neighborhood news.

tee January 12, 2017 at 5:43 pm

While I’ll miss having Bike Gallery on Woodstock, this move sounds like an excellent business decision. It is still highly accessible for people in Woodstock/Mt.Scott-Arleta and makes it easier for the shop to expand the customer base to other nearby neighborhoods.

Alex Reedin January 13, 2017 at 5:36 am

NW Pro Gear in Lents is now closed for people in Mount Scott-Arleta and is a good shop. Nevertheless, probably still a good move to fill the void in Sellwood/Moreland which is newly monied and also has better bike infrastructure and is closer to downtown than Woodstock & MSA.

Alex Reedin January 13, 2017 at 5:37 am

NW Pro Gear is closer, not closed!!

SE Rider January 13, 2017 at 8:30 am

Just funny to move to westmoreland when you’re leaving woodstock because of increasing rents…..

AC January 13, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Rent is relative to cashflow. Bigger store, more inventory, hopefully more bike sales. BG outgrew the Woodstock location almost as soon as they took over the lease from Beckwiths. It was cool to have a bike shop in that spot for over 40 years though!

SE Rider January 13, 2017 at 2:21 pm

I don’t know that this new space is that much bigger though.
            Woodstock is blowing up right now too.

SE Rider January 13, 2017 at 8:31 am

Mt. Scott-Arleta also has a shop actually in their neighborhood. Backpedal is at 72nd and Harold.

Alex Reedin January 13, 2017 at 8:45 am

Oh yeah, forgot about them!

rick January 12, 2017 at 5:53 pm

Any deals for the Velocity wheels?

J_R January 12, 2017 at 5:53 pm

I’m disappointed to see Bike Gallery leave the Woodstock location. It’s always nice to have a LBS within walking distance. I actually remember when that store was Beckwith Cycles.

I figured a big rent increase was the explanation for the move. That was my guess when the “for lease” sign appeared.

Since I generally do my own maintenance and like to spread my business around to locally owned shops I was only an occasional customer of that Bike Gallery though we did purchase new helmets for my kids last fall. Selection was a bit thin, but If I wasn’t in a rush Bike Gallery Woodstock always transferred items they didn’t have from another location.

Stephen Keller January 12, 2017 at 6:08 pm

I knew Frank Beckwith pretty well. I sure miss him.

Matt Meskill January 12, 2017 at 6:16 pm

The Missing Link is right there. Local. Awesome.

Charley January 12, 2017 at 6:02 pm

That’s a bummer. I’ve been going there for years and always enjoyed their service and stock. I guess I’ll try Missing Link.

Matt Meskill January 12, 2017 at 6:17 pm

I use them all the time. Woodstock and Milwaukie. Awesome. Very satisfied.

Adam January 13, 2017 at 12:31 am

Their rent has only doubled? That must be nice. My rent here in Portland has tripled in the past 12 years! Grrrr! *sarcasm. for the uninitiated*

Mike Quigley January 13, 2017 at 6:12 am

Wee need rent control for bike stores.

Spiffy January 13, 2017 at 8:08 am

odd that just after another long time bike shop in Sellwood closes that this one comes in…

every time Bike Gallery closes a store it’s the one closest to me… last time it was the Division store…

they always seems like a suburb bike shop to me… these last 2 moves seems to be so they can be closer to drivers…

rick January 13, 2017 at 9:00 pm

What was the old Sellwood bike shop that closed?

SE January 13, 2017 at 8:44 am

>> Not only will their be moire room for products

I haven’t been in a moire room since the 60’s 🙂

Huey Lewis January 13, 2017 at 9:30 am

Bravo.

Jim Lee January 13, 2017 at 9:50 am

James and Matt at Missing Link “graduated” from BG on Woodstock.

S January 21, 2017 at 5:25 am

Your correct. You I don’t know that this new space is that much bigger.
    Because you haven’t been in it and seen the basement, upstairs, and front and back rooms of either location. And now you do know because someone who does know because they calculated with actual measurements told you.

Treadstrongfitness October 30, 2017 at 7:16 am

Wow pretty sad to see it close as a shop. I grew up in that area and this place was my first shop that I got to be a “shop rat” in at 14 in 94’. I would go in almost every day to drool over bikes and parts. Got my first job at Agape Cycle that summer then the next summer Niel Steve and Kirk Welfelt hired me at Beckwith for 5 years, learned so much from those guys. Really taught me the art of wrenching. Only to return again under new the new owner for a few years before Bike Gallery moved in. At that time we became the biggest in BMX freestyle in Portland and had all the major guys frequent our shop. That place being a shop is a huge history in Portland. Was also bummed when BG took it over and just dumped so much of the old vintage sturmy archer and schwinn parts that were still in there. Lastly just read Frank Becwiths obituary. At least it outlived him as a bike shop. Frank scared the crap out of me as a kid working their hahaha. Always a good guy but I think he enjoyed coming in a freaking out the younger and new employees.