Support BikePortland

Portland Downtown Marriott adds in-room bike parking

Posted by on October 27th, 2015 at 3:23 pm

When one of the world’s largest hotel chains decides to update the interior of its Portland property with something that truly defines this city, what do you think they’d pick as inspiration?

Bicycles of course.

According to KPTV, the Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront just finished up a $14 renovation and bikes are at the center of the decor in every single room. There’s a bicycle-inspired mural above each bed and the main attraction is in-room bike parking.

Bicycle-inspired mural in a Marriott room.
(Photo: Marriott)

We’ve seen this type of amenity in Portland’s new stock of residential developments; but this is a first for a hotel. A Marriott sales executive told KPTV that it’s about convenience and security. “I think you sleep better at night knowing your bike is right there.”

It’s great to see this recognition of cycling from such a large corporation. Now we just need Mayor Charlie Hales to make good on his promise to create a protected bike lane on Naito Parkway. If that ever happens, the management of the Marriott will sleep better at night knowing their valued guests have a similar amount of respect outside the hotel’s front door.

— Jonathan Maus, (503) 706-8804 – jonathan@bikeportland.org

Please support BikePortland.

• Seattle October 27, 2015 at 4:18 pm

A “$14 renovation”? What economy, what ingenuity… 🙂

• KristenT October 28, 2015 at 3:23 pm

If only all bicycle-oriented renovation were as easily and cheaply accomplished!

• soren October 27, 2015 at 4:32 pm

In room bike storage at a hotel is very cool. I also really appreciate it when a store or restaurant lets people bring their bikes indoors.

• Adam Herstein
    Adam Herstein October 27, 2015 at 8:42 pm

With Amtrak’s roll-on bike service, this opens up more travel potential. People who want to bring their own bikes with them now have a secure place to park them instead of leaving them outside overnight. Hoping more hotels follow in Marriott’s footsteps.

• davemess October 28, 2015 at 7:57 am

I have yet to find a hotel that has issues with bringing your bike into your room (and I traveled to a lot of different countries for racing).
      I think often people maybe just don’t think to do it?

• Terry D-M October 28, 2015 at 8:36 am

Same here….I don’t trave much, but even when I did roadtrps a decade ago I’d take my bike into the room with me.

I also was staying in CHEAP places.

• GlowBoy October 27, 2015 at 8:43 pm

Very cool, although I will point out that you can bring your bike into the room at most hotels. I’m sitting in a hotel in Beaverton right now, with my bike a few feet away from me.

• MArk October 27, 2015 at 9:13 pm

Quick.make a youtube about this “innovation”!

• Andy K October 27, 2015 at 9:07 pm

Awesome!
    There are two new big hotels (without car parking) going in near my office on SW Third, and I hope they do the same thing.

• MArk October 27, 2015 at 9:12 pm

Hipster designer “Some of these bike are really expensive!”

Yeah, well…because you know, the cheapest car is $14,000. The average is $30,000.

Sorry, even the expensive production bikes are in used Honda Accord territory.

Settle down buddy!

• B. Carfree October 27, 2015 at 9:54 pm

What says Portland more than bikes? Well, I think homelessness might be more emblematic of PDX. However, I’m not sure how one makes a hotel theme out of that. 🙂

• Lester Burnham October 28, 2015 at 11:41 am

You’ve never heard of the 50 million dollar Bud Clark Commons?

• TJ October 27, 2015 at 11:03 pm

I’ve taken my bike up to my room at Marriott’s countless times. No rack needed, no issues. Mural is nice though.

• Tom Hardy October 27, 2015 at 11:20 pm

I have taken my bike into motels and hotels all over the country. Not a new innovation but a rack to hang them on is, I guess.

• Mike Quiglery October 28, 2015 at 7:58 am

Depends on where you stay. Cheap motel, ground floor, okay. Fancy hotel, upper floors, not okay.

• GlowBoy October 28, 2015 at 8:05 am

Really? Have you had a bellhop prevent you from rolling your bike into an elevator?

• scott October 28, 2015 at 10:14 am

“Sorry doctor but you can’t bring your Specialized Venge McClaren into the hotel. You’ll have to lock it outside.”

Nope. That doesn’t make sense.

• Stephanie B October 28, 2015 at 11:25 am

What’s with all the negativity? You can put your clothes and suitcases on the floor too but it’s arguably nicer to hang them up or put them on a rack. They thought about something nice to do for people with bikes and you’d think it was an insult from reading these comments.

• GlowBoy November 3, 2015 at 12:03 pm

If you’re reading negativity into the comments, I think it’s coming from somewhere else than the comments. I’d say it’s a positive statement to point out that, contrary to what some might think, hotels generally already allow bikes in the room.

Yes, of course hanging them up out of the way IS nicer.

(And I’d still like to know what hotel soren was denied bringing a bike into. Probably no hotel that would take me! 😛 I’m trying to even envision the scenario: a bike is no bigger or klutzier than some of the overloaded valet carts you see people rolling onto hotel elevators).

• GlowBoy December 18, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Update: Just stayed at the Paramount (pretty nice hotel) downtown for a week, and had no problems bringing a bike up to the room.