Milwaukie council candidate Scott Barbur faces questions over Facebook post – UPDATED

Posted by on October 1st, 2014 at 9:47 am

“This picture is just way too awesome!” according to
a Milwaukie city council candidate.

1:14 pm: Barbur has released a statement. Read it at the end of this post.

Scott Barbur, a lawyer running for Milwaukie (Oregon) city council, is facing serious questions from voters about a Facebook post and comments that surfaced last week. The post makes light of a horrific collision in Mexico in 2008 that killed one person and injured 10 others.

On July 20th, 2010, Barbur posted a photograph of the collision on his personal Facebook page. That post was discovered a few months ago by Mandy Zelinka, the editor and founder of the Milwaukie Rules! website. Zelinka then posted a screenshot of Barbur’s 2010 post on the Milwaukie Rules! Facebook page last week.

“All I know is that this is the image that pops into my head every time I have to listen to bicyclists or deal with them on the road.”
— Scott Barbur, Facebook comment

Barbur posted a viral photograph of a pack of bicycle riders flying into the air at the moment when a drunk driver plowed into them head-on. The words, “My Way: Get the fuck out of it,” had been added to the border of the image and Barbur’s comment alongside it read, “This picture is just way too awesome!”

After friends pointed out to Barbur via comments that the fatal collision was not a laughing matter, Barbur made two responses: “Well now I can’t find this picture funny anymore. Thanks for bringing me down… Way to inject some real life into it…” and, “I don’t know if I had malicious intent. All I know is that this is the image that pops into my head every time I have to listen to bicyclists or deal with them on the road. Take from it what you will.”

Here are screenshots of the entire comment section from the 2010 post:

Many commenters on the Milwaukie Rules! Facebook post have expressed disgust and outrage at Barbur’s comments. A few people have asked him to respond to the post via the Scott Barbur For Milwaukie Facebook page, but their comments have been deleted. Barbur has since removed the post from his Facebook page and made his personal account viewable to friends only. He has not responded to our repeated requests for comment.

Thanks for reading BikePortland.

Please consider a $10/month subscription or a one-time payment
to help maintain and expand this vital community resource.

Zelinka, a daily bike commuter who founded Milwaukie Rules! three years ago as a way to highlight her love of the city and boost community pride, told me via telephone this morning that she’s stayed out of politics up until now. (However, it should be noted that she refers to herself as “The First Lady of Milwaukie” and is currently dating Milwaukie Mayor Jeremy Ferguson. She also ran for Milwaukie City Council (then dropped out of the race) in 2012.)

“I’m not one to sling mud,” Zelinka said about her decision to post Barbur’s comments, “But I felt like that was a big showcase of his character… And that’s not where Milwaukie is headed.”

Matt Menely, a Milwaukie business owner and volunteer with Bike Milwaukie, emailed us to share his opinion about Barbur’s comments:

“His comments are pretty immature, and disappointing to say the least. People online are trying to make this a “cars vs. bikes” conversation, but it’s not. This is really about people, and how people talk about other groups of people and treat each other. If Scott Barbur made insensitive comments about women, someone’s sexual orientation or race, the vast majority of people would be asking him to drop out of the City Council race. The only way this town is going to grow and become a more liveable place is if people start talking respectfully with each other, and actually begin listening to each other. Once that happens we can work together.”

Barbur is running for City Council position #4 and his main competition is Karin Power. In 2012, Barbur lost a race for a council seat by just 500 votes.

In an ironic twist related to traffic safety, Barbur Blvd — one of the most dangerous streets in the region — was named after Barbur’s great-great grandfather Asbury Barbur, who was the City of Portland commissioner of public works in the early 1900s.

We’ll update this post when/if we hear back from Barbur or his campaign staff.

UPDATE, 10/1 at 1:14 pm: Barbur just emailed us with the following statement:

“The post in question was made four years ago to friends on my private personal Facebook page. It was made in an effort to rile up some of my friends at the time and the intent of my subsequent comments was to continue to try to get a rise out of them. The post was stupid childish banter on my part and that is all. It does not represent my attitude toward cyclists and I would obviously never promote people crashing into cyclists. I will take full accountability for my comments as they were insensitive and I am sorry that they were offensive and in bad taste.

It is unfortunate that Ms. Zelinka, who I have never previously had any issues with and considered a friend and community partner, has scoured my private personal Facebook page in an effort to run a negative campaign against me. My service record to this community has been nothing but positive, including my service to the cycling community. As a planning commissioner I have advocated for road safety and for the inclusion of cycling projects within Milwaukie’s Tacoma Station Area Plan and the Transportation System Plan. Most recently, I was one of a group of volunteers who opened the Milwaukie Museum for a private tour for Bike Milwaukie’s ride in August. Win or lose this election I will continue my efforts to serve all members of this great community.

Scott Barbur”

• kiel johnson
    kiel johnson October 1, 2014 at 9:54 am

that is very ironic… i’ve had about enough of these barburs

VTRC October 1, 2014 at 9:58 am

It’s tough being from Milwaukie around here… all this talk about PBOT and Portland politics and I really can’t play a part. But then this happens, and I get to crack my knuckles and vote for something that matters! Happy day!

Matt Menely- Bike Milwaukie October 1, 2014 at 10:51 am

Join the Bike Milwaukie FB group page, and be part of what is happening in Milwaukie. Currently there is planning going on for both the 17th Ave Multi-Use Connector and Milwaukie’s first Neighborhood Greenway on Monroe St.

Adron @ Transit Sleuth October 1, 2014 at 10:28 pm

That is super rad for Milwaukie! I look forward to coming down and checking it out! 🙂

VTRC October 2, 2014 at 3:58 pm

I’ve been a FB member for a while, I hope this motivates me to participate!

Matt Menely- Bike Milwaukie October 2, 2014 at 8:51 pm

VTRC, please make sure that you are on the Bike Milwaukie Group page that we set up a few months back. We are going to be shutting down our old FB page by the end of this year because a group page allows more people to communicate directly with each other, rather than one way communication which is how the old page seemed to work. Here is the link for the group page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BikeMilwaukie/

Mandy Zelinka October 1, 2014 at 9:58 am

His post is also horrifying considering having had young children in Milwaukie’s school system I personally know the hardships that family’s face trying to get kids to school with our lack of sidewalks and good bike routes for kids to get to school. That’s why I was so excited when Mark Gamba, city councilor (who beat Barbur by 500 votes last election) launched a Safe Routes to School program in town.

VTRC October 1, 2014 at 10:15 am

I live around Ardenwald Elementary and trying to bike around drop-off time is the hairiest part of my ride to the pearl.

I live around Ardenwald E. and if I leave during pickup or dropoff times, it is really hairy.

MM October 1, 2014 at 10:03 am

Looks like he could probably benefit from a bike ride once in a while.

Granpa October 1, 2014 at 10:05 am

Well isn’t that refreshing? A political candidate who is honest. He is a hater and finds great humor is the misfortune of others, but he is honest about it.

nuovorecord October 1, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I agree. It’s nice to know that someone is an a-hole BEFORE you decide who to vote for, not after they’re in office.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to go donate to Karin Power’s campaign fund.

one October 1, 2014 at 10:07 am
    Brian October 1, 2014 at 10:22 am

His Facebook post is down, but a link to this article can be posted on our FB pages to help spread the word and hold him accountable.

Huey Lewis October 1, 2014 at 10:25 am

Milwaukie city council election. Scott Barbur, get ***moderated*** out of it.

This blows my mind in the worst way.

Seth Alford October 1, 2014 at 10:36 am

Just sent Ms. Powers $250.

Cheif October 1, 2014 at 10:37 am

It’s really too bad that people who publicly display this sort of aggressive mental instability don’t have their drivers licenses taken away. It makes no sense that someone who finds pleasure in the suffering of others and hates other people so much (“All I know is that this is the image that pops into my head every time I have to listen to bicyclists or deal with them on the road”.) is allowed to continue to put other people at risk by being allowed to drive.

Joe October 1, 2014 at 2:34 pm

I don’t get it either. Today, in fact, I had someone honk and throw their fast food trash out the passenger window at me. What kind of humans are these?

Joe October 1, 2014 at 2:34 pm

jeffb October 1, 2014 at 10:51 am

Ditto, Karin Powers will be receiving a donation in a race I never would have thought to be involved in, and I told Mr Barbur as much.

9watts October 1, 2014 at 10:59 am

“…this is the image that pops into my head every time I have to listen to bicyclists or deal with them on the road. Take from it what you will.”

a real class act, this guy. I guess he meant it in exactly the way we’re taking it. Something tells me he doesn’t get around much except in a car.

Tim S. October 1, 2014 at 11:09 am

Why in the world would someone endorse/support a candidate like this? ESPECIALLY someone on Milwaukie’s “Public Safety Committee”? I am going to be asking the people on his endorsement list exactly WHY they are supporting him, including current city council members! I’m appalled that community leaders would stand behind this guy. Who’s donating to his campaign?

Brian October 1, 2014 at 11:48 am

List of endorsers (some are business owners and some may want to be re-elected):

*Mike Miller, Milwaukie City Councilor
      *David Hedges, Milwaukie City Councilor
      *Scott Churchill, Milwaukie City Councilor
      *Dion Shepard, Historic Milwaukie Neighborhood Chair
      *Ed Zumwalt, Resident, Historic Milwaukie Neighborhood
      *Ray Bryan, Resident, Historic Milwaukie Neighborhood
      *Jean Baker, Resident/Activist/Environmentalist, Historic Milwaukie Neighborhood
      *Mark Stehn, Milwaukie Small Business Owner, Stehn Family Chapels
      *Dolly Macken-Hambright, Retired small business owner
      *Linda Hedges, member, Public Safety Advisory Committee and Neighborhood Activist
      *Jeff Odegaard, Resident/Milwaukie Historical Society volunteer
      *Larry Cole, Milwaukie Small Business Owner, ACME TV DVDs,
      *Kristen Dawson, Milwaukie Small Business Owner, Salon DeMara
      *Kathy Lyle, Milwaukie Small Business Owner, Kathy’s Place
      *Karen Baranick and Jonathan Baranick, Milwaukie Small Business Owners, Milwaukie Spine and Sport
      *Ed Hacmac, Milwaukie Small Business Owner, Hands On Chiropractic and Massage
      *Ed Aaron, Milwaukie Business Property Owner
      *Ed Parecki, Milwaukie Business Property Owner

Emily C. October 1, 2014 at 1:17 pm

How many of these supporters have the same feelings as Barbur? I would question their leadership qualities as well. City Council members supporting this kind of person? Oh my.

I know I’ve been frustrated with the lack of bicycle infrastructure in Milwaukie, and now I think I understand why. If people on the Safety Committee and City Council support this kind of thinking then we will never see bike projects come to fruition.

Cheif October 1, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Those people should really be contacted and informed of this.

Emily C. October 1, 2014 at 4:27 pm

You’ll need to use the list from above. The endorsement page is no longer on his website. The council member email addresses can be found on the City of Milwaukie website. http://www.milwaukieoregon.gov/citycouncil

Lore October 1, 2014 at 9:15 pm

I just learned that Milwaukie Spine And Sport is withdrawing their support.

David McCabe October 1, 2014 at 11:01 pm

Dear Councilor [Name],

Scott Barbur has made statements to the effect that he frequently fantasizes about running over vulnerable road users when he has to share the road with them. In light of his truly horrifying statements, which betray an absence of empathy and respect for his fellow Milwaukeeans, I will not vote for him, nor, since you have endorsed him, for you. I urge you to rescind your endorsement of Scott Barbur.

Yours,

Maren October 3, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Good letter, but please make sure you spell “Milwaukieans” correctly. (Or maybe just “Milwaukie residents?)

Jayson October 2, 2014 at 9:45 am

Having worked with many of these councilors, Mr. Barbur has the endorsement of the worst behaved members of the Milwaukie City Council. Scott Churchill in particular is a bad apple who talks down to everyone and thinks he knows absolutely everything. I wouldn’t waste my time complaining to most of these individuals as they represent the most conservative side of Milwaukie city politics and a lack of appreciation for anything other than themselves.

Matt Menely- Bike Milwaukie October 1, 2014 at 11:52 am

You can ask the three current council members who have endorsed him in person at their next council meeting. It’s on Tuesday night Oct 7th 7:00pm at City Hall (upstairs). Fill out a comment card, hand it to the city recorder in council chambers, and wait for the Mayor to call your name. You’ll get 3-5 minutes at the mic. This kind of action would be especially helpful if you live in Milwaukie.

Zimmerman October 1, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Take a poster sized printout of the Facebook post with you for clear illustration.

Brian October 1, 2014 at 11:19 am

Wow. He’s also a “mentor” with the ASPIRE program at Milwaukie H.S. and a personal injury lawyer for auto accidents.

Evan Manvel October 1, 2014 at 11:22 am

Karin has been endorsed by OLCV and by Bike Milwaukie. But the only way to make sure she’s elected is by volunteering some time or giving some money. Get to it!

Lisa Marie October 1, 2014 at 11:28 am

Please spread the word – we all make stupid decisions on the internet, but his follow-up post is the most disturbing part of all of this, and makes his post indefensible.

Here’s where to go to learn about his opponent, to donate, and to give one evening or day to phone banking and/or canvassing (which can be hugely helpful!) http://www.karinpower.com/

jeff October 1, 2014 at 11:39 am

NO, actually, we don’t ‘all’ make stupid decisions because some of us realize that once you put it on the internet, its there forever in some form.

Lisa Marie October 1, 2014 at 11:48 am

I just meant to point out that all people are fallible, so in other cases I would wait to hear his explanation before cementing my interpretation. But his follow-up solidifies the stupidity, insensitivity, and ignorance of the original post.

cold worker October 1, 2014 at 11:39 pm

You’re right, we all do. Even Jeff.

jeff October 2, 2014 at 3:19 pm

please stop projecting your personal mistakes on others.

Emily C. October 1, 2014 at 11:33 am

This guy is on the City’s Planning Commission? Do the residents of Milwaukie want him planning the city’s future? Really? People should show up to the commission meetings and demand his removal or resignation.

Nick October 1, 2014 at 11:34 am

Is Barbur running on a platform of drunk-driving, vehicular homicide, and a sociopathic lack of remorse?
    No more bullies. I just sent Karin Power $150.

spare_wheel October 1, 2014 at 12:38 pm

And $50 from me.

Joe October 1, 2014 at 11:42 am

what a ____! sorry but ppl posting that pic and making fun of it is just LAME..

q`Tzal October 1, 2014 at 11:47 am

Not once in this main article does it say Milwaukee, OREGON.
    This was such a #$&%+! PR fubar vs bikes that I thought it might be that other Milwaukee… ya know, the Big One.

Chasing through the FB link I had to dig through to the contact info on his campaign website before the name “Oregon” was visible.

It might be nice, from the standpoint of clarity and future web searches, if the state in question be included with such a common city name.

stacia October 1, 2014 at 11:55 am

Nowhere in the article does it say “Milwaukee” at all. It says Milwaukie. The first page of google search results for “Milwaukie” are ALL about Milwaukie, OR.

q`Tzal October 1, 2014 at 12:10 pm

OK, I’ve seriously never noticed that.
        Had to check Gmaps just to make sure this wasn’t a spelling derp.

Doh!

GlowBoy October 1, 2014 at 11:52 am

Barbur could have saved a bit of face by pretending his affinity for the “MY WAY” poster wasn’t about cyclists.

But when he went ahead and said “All I know is that this is the image that pops into my head every time I have to listen to bicyclists or deal with them on the road,” then he made it about cyclists. And in the worst way. What a fool.

9watts October 1, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Let’s not forget the
      I don’t know if I had malicious intent‘ part of his answer….

lyle w. October 3, 2014 at 9:21 am

That’s the part that really pushes it over into truly sociopathic territory. He knows what he’s done, he knows how bad it looks, he knows the implication it has on his career, and he takes all this and doubles down and validates the ‘I believe all cyclists should suffer and be killed for simply being cyclists’ thought-process.

Which, obviously, too many people have… it’s just that most of them know when to use code words, and how it’s a good idea to reserve that opinion only when they’re around like-minds (or behind internet avatars).

9watts October 1, 2014 at 12:11 pm

For some people (in the US) the bicycle and those who ride it are perceived as a threat. Not in a physical sense, of course, but in an ideological one.

Emily C. October 1, 2014 at 1:11 pm

It looks like at least one of Barbur’s friends was shocked by his post at the time. It is too bad that he didn’t take the hint and pull his post back then, or he wouldn’t be dealing with this right now.

On the other hand, we wouldn’t have known his feelings towards bicyclists had he pulled the post.

If you are running for a public office wouldn’t you think about scouring your Facebook page and other online posts to be sure that you don’t have anything which would hurt your campaign?

Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) October 1, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Barbur just emailed us with the following statement:

Scott Barbur”

Emily C. October 1, 2014 at 1:35 pm

His Facebook page wasn’t “private”. When Milwaukie Rules posted this on Friday, I decided to fact check myself. I was able to look at all his personal page information, including the post talked about here. By the following day, Barbur changed his privacy settings and I could no longer see his posts.

I think Ms. Zelinka was doing what she felt was needed to get the information out there about what kind of candidate Barbur is. Even if it is just “childish banter”, a planning commissioner, attorney and business community leader should not be engaging in that type of behavior.

Don’t post ANYTHING on Facebook or the web in general if you don’t want it to be seen by people.

Kudos to you Ms. Zelinka.

Mandy Zelinka October 1, 2014 at 3:00 pm

I hated myself for digging through his Facebook page – but I gotta say, once kids enter your life you will go to all sorts of new heights to protect them…sometimes from folks like this being on City Council. I want safe routes to school for kids more.

Mandy Zelinka October 1, 2014 at 3:02 pm

And..that was possibly the tamest of the screenshots.

stephen salter October 1, 2014 at 9:26 pm

i personally want to say thank you so much for exposing this loathing Barbur has for those who prefer 2 wheels to 4. It was a good thing you did.

nuovorecord October 1, 2014 at 3:08 pm

So why would you post a picture of cyclists getting hit by a car, in an admitted attempt to “rile up your friends” (who presumably are cyclists), and then say it wasn’t really how you felt?

Anyone who thinks anyone getting killed, by any means, is funny, isn’t someone fit to hold elected office.

Milwaukie Mom October 1, 2014 at 3:13 pm

“I will take full accountability”… but … “Ms. Zelinka … negative campaign…” True apologies are not followed immediately by excuses.

As others have pointed out, his Facebook page was not made private until the same day these posts became widely known. Mr. Barbur, many of us saw the countless other “stupid,” “insensitive” and “offensive” comments you made before finally changing your profile settings.

Scott Barbur August 7, 2009: “is upset that he’s a white, English-speaking male with no disabilities. Now I’ll never get appointed to the Supreme Court! Damnit!”

Scott Barbur March 10, 2011: “This environmental law class makes me want to hit myself in the face with a frying pan! Man, are these people whiny!”

Scott Barbur February 13, 2013: “The Kremlin, oops, I mean Metro’s latest ‘big Brother venture'”

Scott Barbur April 18, 2013: “This exchange actually took place at my referral group this morning: Banker: The bank never wants to take back the collateral on a loan. Say you default on a personal loan. You couldn’t just come in and put your wife on my desk. [Barbur]: But that would solve two of my problems!”

Ms. Zelinka can hardly be blamed for the racist, misogynistic, and absurd ramblings shared by Mr. Barbur on his public (until now) Facebook page. Mr. Menely’s comments are spot on. This isn’t just about one isolated (not funny at all) joke about killing cyclists. It’s about whether or not Mr. Barbur has the capacity to “deal with” people he may disagree with in a respectful way.

Opus the Poet October 7, 2014 at 11:04 pm

“How dare someone use my own words against me…”

nuovorecord October 1, 2014 at 4:52 pm

“Win or lose this election I will continue my efforts to serve all members of this great community…by running over cyclists with my coal-rolling 4×4 pickup truck every chance I get

FTFY

VTRC October 1, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Stupid childish banter that helps me choose who to vote for!

Nick October 1, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Genuine response or the predictable sidestepping of a personal injury attorney?
    The election will decide.

Chris Anderson October 1, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Getting your opponent to say something stupid about bikes is turning into a great way to win elections. I hope Karin Power makes good use of my donation.

Rob October 1, 2014 at 1:37 pm

sociopath.
    My parents and sister and brother in law are registered voters in Milwaukie

ken October 1, 2014 at 1:43 pm

I don’t buy his explanation. First, Facebook is not private, he changed his setttings only recently to friends only, and his comments on the original post don’t support his assertion that it was meant to get a rise out of his friends. Nope, don’t believe him.

Chris V October 1, 2014 at 1:53 pm

As Mr. Barbur seems to have a lack of familiarity with the cycling culture:

back·ped·al (bkpdl)
    intr.v. back·ped·aled or back·ped·alled, back·ped·al·ing or back·ped·al·ling, back·ped·als
    1. To move the pedals of a bicycle or similar vehicle backward, especially to apply a brake.
    2. To move backward by taking short quick steps, as in boxing or football.
    3. To retreat or withdraw from a position or attitude: The senator later backpedaled on the issue.

Spiffy October 1, 2014 at 3:34 pm

back-pedaling is about the only way some people know how to mix politics and bicycles…

Dave Thomson October 1, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Donation sent (and I don’t even live in Milwaukie).

Matt October 1, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Lovely. An angry middle aged man in a 3000 pound vehicle that thinks running over cyclists is fodder for joke. Also, this guy in a potential position of power? Scary.

sd October 1, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Wow, dude is without one clue. I expected a non-apology, but I am surprised at how weak his statement actually is.

Doug Duguay October 1, 2014 at 3:07 pm

This is a very sick individual. Anyone who advocates killing others, even in humor, on a public forum is a ***moderated***.

Rick October 1, 2014 at 5:17 pm

One could only wish the hate-mongers were moderated…

Jack October 1, 2014 at 3:15 pm

“my private personal Facebook page”

Your what now?

Amy S October 1, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Wow, talk about a guy unfit for public office… Go, Karin, go!
    If any of you want to pass on simple and friendly bike safety item, please go to http://www.checkforbikes.org . We’re a volunteer organization that has developed vinyl clings and bumper stickers to promote safe driving and safe cycling. Go to the website or our Facebook page and I can send them to you so you can pass on to friends, neighbors and colleagues, so people like Scott Barbur don’t rule our roads. Thanks.

Joe Kurmaskie October 1, 2014 at 4:40 pm

As some of you know, this horrific image, and the person shown actually being killed in it, is Alejandro, a dear friend of mine, an incredible athlete and more importantly, a wise and beautiful human being. he did not deserve what happened and it has been painful, absolutely injustice to my soul and his memory that this image has continued to circulate and be used by haters all over the world. At the time ABC new chose to post it I got into a very public battle with them as to why I felt this was click porn and not of news value and most importantly, my argument for removal and scrubbing the video from the internet in the first hours of it getting out there was this: it would be used by bike haters and evil creatures for years to come… they left it up, it has been used repeatedly, as recently as last month a volunteer/police person in training used it in a video road rage incident – she lost her job – and here in this situation. It pains me deeply every time it is used, but my consolation is that when it is used, the resulting karma inflicted on the user – I hope Barbur feels the full weight of his despicable post. And the argument that he used it in the past and that it was private ain’t floating here. He’s shown his true colors and should not be anywhere near the reigns of civic power.

Pete October 1, 2014 at 10:59 pm

Cowboy, every time I see this awful image I remember your words about him both in your book and after the tragic incident and truly disdainful behavior that followed. I’m sorry for your loss and thankful you’ve memorialized your friend.

rachel b October 2, 2014 at 1:07 pm

That photo is horrifying. It should never have been allowed to circulate. That anyone would use it for a “joke” mystifies (and terrifies) me. Very sorry for the loss of your friend.

NC1 October 1, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Share on FB. Also $100 on the way to Karin.

Joe Kurmaskie October 1, 2014 at 4:50 pm

BTW, wrote about Alejandro in the last chapter of my second book Riding Outside The Lines. e was an amazing guy. Breaks my heart that this dirtbag had a good laugh but hopefully not the last laugh at his expense.

Jerryw October 1, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Arrogant after being childish and stupid. All things that make a great public servant these days. Good luck Karin Powers, may the grown-up win this race.

John October 1, 2014 at 9:52 pm

I think it is really unfortunate that so many people are judging a candidate over comments he made 4 years ago. Does no one believe that growth as an individual is possible in 4 years. Based on his actions and involvement in the community does anyone really believe that these 4 year old off handed comments are an accurate representation of what is now an engaged and upstanding citizen of the city of Milwaukie. This guy donates tons of his time to the enrichment of this community both on the civic and small business level. Take the time to see what he has done for this community and think about what he could do for it before you judge him for a tasteless joke made 4 years ago.

Pete October 1, 2014 at 11:08 pm

If I publicly said the ‘n’ word about a black person over 10 years ago, or called a gay person ‘f_gg__’ when I was a child, I’d forever be labeled a racist and a biggot – even if I was Mother Teresa. What makes Barbur’s brand of hatred particularly forgivable?

Pete October 1, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Let me explain something to you. Readers of this site are particularly sensitive to this image. Ellen Dittebrandt. Christeen Osborn. Stanislau Wicka. These are my neighbors who have been killed by inattentive drivers while simply riding a bicycle safely and legally along a roadway. Two drivers failed to keep their cars on the roadway, one driver was texting, and zero drivers were cited for doing anything illegal let alone be labeled irresponsible (all were called “accidents” in the police reports). Joe K explains above that this is a photo of the death of his dear friend.

So yes, we’re about as sensitive to this image as New Yorkers are to people making fun of planes crashing into skyscrapers.

Brian October 2, 2014 at 9:07 am

Yes, I believe growth is possible. No, I do not believe that benefit of the doubt is warranted in this situation and here’s why. A display of that type of sense of humor (and I use the phrase loosely) is not indicative of a single misstep, it is indicative of someone with a deeper character flaw. If we take his word that it was just to rile his friends up, then that is further of evidence of issues with his character. That post and follow-up comments, combined with the other comments made publicly on his page, demonstrates a pattern of a mindset that I believe should not be in a position to represent and make important decisions for citizens. Our elected leaders must be held to a high standard.
      Can someone have character flaws while demonstrating responsibility and integrity in other aspects of his/her life? Absolutely. Clearly, the people who are reading this website and getting involved in the democratic process as a result feel that his errors are egregious enough to warrant more serious action on their part. If his error was something along the lines of simply yelling at a cyclist four years ago, we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

Milwaukie Mom October 2, 2014 at 9:33 am

The problem with Barbur’s flimsy explanation and this argument is that his entire Facebook profile was littered with posts, dating from 2009 all the way through 2014, that in fact show he has NOT experienced growth in the 4 years since he made those disgusting comments. He gave us all plenty else to judge him on.

Scott Barbur February 13, 2013: “The Kremlin, oops, I mean Metro’s latest ‘big Brother venture’”

Screen shots of the above quotes have been shared with the author of this blog. There are others. Barbur’s statement is complete nonsense when held in the light of his other disdainful rants and “jokes.”

VTRC October 2, 2014 at 9:35 am

Somebody died in that photo. He posted it as a joke, and then made a comment about me as a Milwuakie rider.

I think we’ll approach an age of forgiveness where things said on FB, or things that happen in a personal life will less affect the professional or political. But this is something that is actually beyond the pale. He does not deserve to be in a position of power in my city. Period.

sd October 2, 2014 at 10:06 am

John,
      Unfortunately, his response yesterday shows that he does not understand the gravity or implications of his face book post. 4 years ago, he was an adult and should have known that promoting a meme that shows someone’s death or injury is worse than “childish.” Anyone who is interested in public office will have a short list of things they have done to serve the community. What he lists in his statement is underwhelming and hardly evidence that he has changed or that he supports improving safety for cyclists.

davemess October 2, 2014 at 10:50 am

If he has had such a “change of heart” He had 4+ years to delete the post, which he did not do until after the was caught. That is evidence enough for me, that he doesn’t take it seriously at all.

James M. October 1, 2014 at 11:11 pm

— Scott Barbur

The moment a tasteless joke revealed the heart of the matter.

Patrick October 2, 2014 at 11:37 am

NICE! BTW I am the commenter, aka “Plutarco.”

Patrick October 2, 2014 at 11:46 am

I just sent Scott Barbur a FB “friend” request 🙂

Patrick October 2, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Scott Barbur Thanks for accepting my friend request. The apology that you sent to Bike Portland is pretty good but it doesn’t really cover the comments you made discussing the gruesome image. For a complete apology, may I recommend addressing your comments about the image with me (publically in Bike Portland as well to me) and publically send a sizeable donation to either BikePortland or the Bicycle Transportation Alliance. The donation would represent you culpability for your comments and convince the public that truly believe denigrating any group is completely unacceptable.

Patrick October 2, 2014 at 12:11 pm

OOPS looks like Scott Barbur has unfriended me before he got this message. Luckally I’m also posting it here.

Mindful Cyclist October 2, 2014 at 12:51 pm

I’ll cut him a little bit of slack since he did not say “I’m a cyclist, too” in his apology…..

are October 3, 2014 at 3:22 pm

in order to learn from a mistake, you have to come to understand what is the nature of the mistake, why it is a mistake, who is harmed by the mistake, etc. from his public statement, mr. barbur seems to believe the nature of the mistake here is placing himself in a position in which his political enemies can take advantage. in truth the nature of the mistake is failing to identify “the other” as a fellow human. mr. barbur still apparently does not see the harm this mistake causes.

if there were a campaign to bring that photo down off the web somehow and/or to shame people who repost it, mr. barbur could show he had learned from this mistake by supporting that campaign.

NC1 October 6, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Is ” Scott Barbur For Milwaukie Facebook page” still up? I may be blocked 😉

Matt November 5, 2014 at 9:14 am

This guy lost last night 54-36.

jeffb November 5, 2014 at 10:08 am

And I wouldn’t underestimate the impact that this article had on his loss.

Dave Thomson November 5, 2014 at 10:48 am

I know I sent his opponent a small campaign contribution after reading this article, and I don’t leave anywhere near Milwaukie. I suspect I wasn’t the only one.

Pete November 6, 2014 at 8:55 am

Maybe Scott Barbur can restart his local political career by volunteering to make a difference here: http://www.milwaukieoregon.gov/police/public-safety-advisory-committee