Advertise on BikePortland

Photos: The Pioneer Century

Posted by on June 6th, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Sun, wide-open country roads — what more could you ask for?
(Photos by Jonathan Maus for The Pioneer Century)

On Saturday (which was arguably the most beautiful weather we’ve had all year around these parts) I had the pleasure of joining 1,300 other people on the 37th annual Pioneer Century.

The ride is hosted by the Portland Wheelmen Touring Club. The routes begin in Canby and traverse through bucolic rural roads south of Mollala and out to Champoeg State Park to the west. Creature comforts of the ride included free coffee cake and other treats from Jim and Patty’s Coffee before we took off and a lunch of Chris King’s famous chicken fajitas (prepared by King’s corporate chef Robert McSpadden).

It was a great day to be on a bike. Check out a few more of the sights in the photos below…

More photos in the gallery.

Special thanks to ride coordinators Ron Ing and Benn Schonman, the Portland Wheelmen, and the Chris King crew for their hospitality.

• A.K. June 6, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Hey I see me! 5th picture up from the bottom, blue jersey with the white helmet closest to the camera.

Jonathan: If readers think we may be in more pictures, is there any way to try and get them from you? I don’t have many photos of me out riding, and you probably got pictures of me coming up that hill there as well.

The ride was great, but man that wind on the second half of the ride was brutal.

• DR June 6, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I second AK’s comment about the wind. Although, I thought it was rough the first half as well. Lots of bad words on my part during the ride.

I will say that I thought PWTC put on a great ride, ignoring the wind for a bit. All their pit stops were well stocked by very friendly folks. I was very impressed with their organization.

• A.K. June 6, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Yeah, the support was excellent, well worth the entry fee.

• pkoonce June 6, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Looks like I missed a good ride! Next year, it’s on the list…. I am not sure whether to thank you for the coverage though, cause it made me jealous of those that got out for the long ride!

• Lidwien June 6, 2011 at 11:02 pm

A wonderful route, good food and snacks, and great support for sure. Jonathan, is there a way you could find out what happened that required an ambulance and possible a life flight helicopter? Did any bicyclists get hurt? Are they going to be OK?

• Kristy Veruca June 7, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I think there were several injuries. My dad was taken by lifeflght in the afternoon. We were at mi 46 out of the 55. He swerved off the road and went head over the handle bars. He now has a broken neck. But we are happy that he was wearing his helmet and he doesn’t have any injury to his spine or nerves. Early in the day a woman was hit by a car and she took lifelflight as well. When we were at the hospital we met at least one other person who was injured on this ride (collapse due to exhaustion just after returning home.) It was a beutiful ride but I think the heat and hills combo took a toll. There were a total of 6 bike incidents that reported to Emanuel, but I know they weren’t all from this ride.

Thank you to all of the organizers and support people who helped us on this tragic day.

• John Russell (jr98664) June 7, 2011 at 1:37 am

Is there an official map of the ride somewhere online? I can’t seem to find one. Their website leaves a bit to be desired.

• Lois Moss June 7, 2011 at 8:37 am

The spread of goodies at the rest stops was phenomenal, road markings were fantastic and there were tons of friendly volunteers. These events take alot of planning and work, so Thank You to all the folks involved in organizing this ride and for the sponsors who supported it!

• commuter June 7, 2011 at 9:43 am

I’d have to say it was one of the best supported rides I’ve ever done for an entry fee that low.

• mmann June 7, 2011 at 11:22 am

I love the Pioneer Century and have done it for several years. I’ll second the comments that it’s one of the best supported organized rides out there, and a great route as well.

I couldn’t make this year’s ride, unfortunately. I had tickets for U2 in Seattle – the show that was cancelled last year. The first thing I said when they rescheduled the concert was “Dang, that’s the day of the Pioneer!” There’s not much I’d miss this ride for, but taking my two oldest kids on the Bremerton Ferry across the sound to Seattle to see the greatest band in the world is one.

• Kasandra Griffin June 7, 2011 at 12:05 pm

For anyone wanting a(nother) organized spring club ride, my annual favorite is this coming Saturday, down-valley: http://www.santiamspokes.org/Strawberry%20Century.htm. Lovely scenery of lakes, rivers, and rolling hills, great support, and strawberry shortcake at the end. Weather forecast for Lebanon on Saturday is 66 degrees;

• Ayleen June 7, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Congrats on 37 years of the Pioneer Century, Wheelmen, and nice work organizing this year’s ride, Benn.

• benn June 7, 2011 at 2:07 pm

thanks to everyone who came out to ride the pioneer and especially all the volunteers, it’s an honor and treat to work with you

• Russ Roca June 8, 2011 at 8:49 am

Great pics Jonathan! The P.C. folks should be happy for hiring you!

R

• bikeing June 8, 2011 at 7:54 pm

If you want the best photos, you get the best photographer. Great job Jonathan.
    Ron Ing