Posted by Elly Blue (Columnist) on September 17th, 2009 at 4:15 pm
Since we broke the story of Hopworks Urban Brewing’s new bicycle pub on Tuesday night, site traffic has been through the roof. Our story about the Flaming Lips’ upcoming naked biking video shoot raised that further. Then this morning, a couple of popular national nerd-news aggregator websites discovered the story, and our server couldn’t handle the traffic. (Huge thanks to our friend Ben Foote for getting the site onto its feet again.)
The good news is that you can see the bike that’s getting all the attention live and in person this Saturday at its unveiling at Hopworks’ free and carfree Biketobeerfest celebration.
The Hopworksfiets is far from the only demonstration of Portland’s robust bicycle scene that will be out Saturday. Hopworks and the crew at Good Sport Promotion have come up with a real cross section of local bike wildlife. There will be roller races. BMX. Sprockettes. Kids’ activities. A derby for bike shop workers. Lots and lots of bike parking. And Hopworks’ new, seasonal Bike Beer, sales of which will raise money for next year’s Sunday Parkways.
And finally, a scaled-down version of one of BikePortland’s proudest accomplishments: The BikeCraft Fair.
Here’s a quick look at who will be there (I’ll upload a few more photos later — the site is currently too slow):
- Queen Bee Creations will be on the scene with their beautiful panniers, and a giant load of close-out bike-themed bags and wallets.
- Bike Cozy will bring back neat, handsewn hats, tool-wraps, and more.
- Ben Parsons has some new brightly silkscreened old school bike prints
- Redhead Press has handbound books, silkscreened bike patches, and bikey cards
- Microcosm Publishing brings a full lineup of zines, books, patches, shirts, stickers, and pins
- Shawn Granton has comics, bike touring guides, and printed cards
- Black Star Bags makes really rad messenger bags, hip pouches, and more
- a.bug upcycles bike tubes into beautiful bracelets
- Fun Reflector helps you get visible in style
- Ciclismo Design creates protection amulets for your loved ones who ride a lot, and other jewelry
- CoG (Collective of Geniuses) brings on the queer-bike-fun with letterpressed and silkscreened designs
BikeCraft will be set up right outside the event entrance, next to the bike parking. Bring some cash (and don’t forget your ID for when you’re done checking out the crafts and want to get a beer). We’ll open at noon and close down at 6pm so we can all go in and enjoy the evening’s festivities.
This is going to be a blast — come out, enjoy yourselves, meet other bike and beer enthusiasts, and support one of the best things Portland’s got going for it — a vibrant, creative local bike economy.
at Hopworks Urban Brewery
SE 29th and Powell, Portland
Saturday, September 19th, noon to 10pm