Reynolds is the official sponsor of 2008 NAHBS coverage on BikePortland.org

- NAHBS Special Coverage -
Show Schedule | Local Events | Latest Stories and Photos

Opening day at the NAHBS

Posted by on February 8th, 2008 at 12:29 pm

NAHBS_Friday_a-22.jpg

It’s opening day for industry members and the media at the North American Handmade Bicycle Show (NAHBS). I’ve spent the morning roaming the aisles of the Oregon Convention Center, shaking lots of hands, meeting up with old acquaintances, and of course taking lots of photos.

My first order of business has been to visit all the local, Portland builders. I’m still not through seeing all of them (I think there are 11 total here from Portland), but thought I’d share my first batch of photos.

So far I’ve seen some fantastic work and craftsmanship; amazing racks from Ben Leonard for Signal Cycles, a custom stem with nifty cable routing from Aaron Hayes of Courage, a twin-tube marvel of a city bike from Joseph Ahearne, Renovo’s hardwood beauties (with a custom Cane Creek headset with wooden inlay!) and the usual women’s bike goodness from Austin and Natalie Ramsland of Sweetpea Bicycles.

OK, I’m going back in for more. Check out my slideshow below (54 shots) and there’s lots more photos and stories from the show…stay tuned!

Created with Admarket’s flickrSLiDR.

• chuck February 8, 2008 at 1:04 pm

gah, I work this whole weekend, and won\’t be able to make it to see any of these beautiful bikes. curses!

have a little bit of fun for all of us who can\’t make it, jonathan.

• Ed February 8, 2008 at 1:33 pm

Wow, so cool to live in this city and be a part of this movement.

• girl February 8, 2008 at 1:43 pm

ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod SO STOKED

• Donald February 8, 2008 at 3:08 pm

Am I reading the site correctly: 18 bucks to get in? (!)

Thanks for the pics. I may not get any closer as those prices.

• mike_khad1 February 8, 2008 at 3:29 pm

I\’ll be there on Saturday. I\’m mildly peeved that I have to leave on Saturday to go pick up my rider packet for the Worst Day of the Year ride and that I\’ll miss the convention on Sunday because of the same ride.

• Subcommander Sasquatch February 8, 2008 at 3:41 pm

Thanks for the pix, Jonathan. Excuse me a moment while I wipe away the drool. Also, I can\’t think of a better way to honor the late, great Sheldon Brown than with one of those fancy commemorative flasks.

• Kronda February 8, 2008 at 4:47 pm

Donald (#4), I know what you mean. I\’ve been going back and forth about it. $18 to look at bikes I can\’t afford is a tough pill to swallow.

• rixtir February 8, 2008 at 5:58 pm

Kronda, that settles the question for me.

• rixtir February 8, 2008 at 6:07 pm

But….DROOL….

• s.patton February 8, 2008 at 6:11 pm

it costs $10 bucks to go to the art museum and you can go any day of the week. $18 for an opportunity to go to this one time only bike/art museum is a bargain! its not too late.

• Refunk February 8, 2008 at 6:34 pm

Ah, yes, art is expensive and should be.

We go to shows and galleries and concerts, don\’t we? Ever eat out while cruising the show on Last Thursday or First Thursday, or hit a tavern after a ride? Betcha spent something in the neighborhood of the NAHBS ticket before the night was through.

Come on–the stuff in galleries is for sale too, but 99.9% go for the show–not to buy. Indulge yerself. Maybe they have napkin dispensers for droolers…

• granny gear February 8, 2008 at 7:55 pm

thank you signal for the brett cross. brings the best memories.
    the color reminds me of growin up cruisin in the station wagon with my fam.
    hands down…
    love, tommy

• Racer X February 9, 2008 at 9:41 am

Saw the show yesterday…it is nice to see the high quality metal work and design…if the door fee is still too high then you may want to pack up 4 friends and split the day door ticket on Sunday.

Just rotate in separately and walk through quickly (30 minutes)…while your friends hang out at the starbucks inside waiting for their turn.