Support BikePortland

Bike films on DVD, media critiques and other BikeCraft updates

Posted by on December 7th, 2006 at 9:26 am

bracelets_jane

[Inner-tube jewelry by Jane (from $5-9).

Everything’s coming together for BikeCraft tonight at City Hall…and vendors are still being adding to the list!

Ayleen Crotty will join us with her Filmed by Bike compilation DVD on sale for $10. She’ll join two other Portland bike filmmakers — Dan Kaufman and Reverend Phil — to satiate your bike film gift-giving needs.

I’m working on a big screen and projector but otherwise, we’ve always got laptops.

I’ve also added Jane, an artist who I mistakenly left off the list yesterday. She’ll have her very cool, recycled inner-tube bracelets which sell for $5-9 (see photo).

And I’m excited to add Eric Bagdonas from Stumptown Printers. He’ll share their work from a series of bike posters they’ve printed, along with a postcard they designed for the Bikes to Rwanda project.

And just to clarify, indoor bike parking is not possible this year, but there’s plenty of room directly outside the City Hall entrance. Check out how we managed to park tons of bikes in front of City Hall at the Made in Portland Bike Show earlier this year.

And finally, some thoughts on media coverage.

I’m not sure what possessed the every-snarky Willamette Week to write that BikeCraft will have “tons of bike-themed crap you don’t really need,” but I think they owe every one of the fantastic BikeCrafters a big apology.

And I heard 94.7FM talking about the event this morning. They said BikeCraft is for “bike elitists.” What’s that all about?

Oh, one last thing, there will be a limited supply of beer on hand, thanks to City Commissioner Sam Adams ;-).

See you there!

Please support BikePortland.

vj December 7, 2006 at 9:44 am

Snarky yes, but any publicity is good publicity, Jon. And Jane’s inner-tube bracelets are super unique and supercool — they always get noticed.

(It opens at 4, yes?)

Jonathan Maus December 7, 2006 at 9:46 am

I know VJ, and I’m thankful for the publicity! And yes, doors open at 4:00, I look forward to seeing you…been forever.

Cecil December 7, 2006 at 10:04 am

Hey, Jonathan, do you know if the vendors will take checks (or credit cards) or do I have to go empty out the cash machine before I come?

Jonathan Maus December 7, 2006 at 10:06 am

I’m sure all the vendors will accept checks. Cash is encouraged thought.

Maybe only 1 or 2 vendors would have a credit card machine so definitely don’t count on using plastic.

josh m December 7, 2006 at 4:47 pm

the wind is fighting my urge to go.
    damn living out on 70th.

Phil December 7, 2006 at 7:51 pm

BikeCraft was great, and I love my bike-themed junk, even if I don’t need it! Thanks for organizing it!

Cecil December 7, 2006 at 8:17 pm

It was great and I got all sorts of cool stuff – I am very excited about my new pea green lambswool Sweet pea armwarmers . . .thanks for making it happen

barbara kilts December 7, 2006 at 9:48 pm

Ditto excitement for the SweetPea woolies – alas all I could get was one of the their niffty spoke cards (with reflective star!). The variety and quality of items was wonderful…City Hall’s a great venue for art shows. Thanks for another great bike community event!

Thom December 8, 2006 at 7:40 am

Wore my unneeded Deller hat (early christmas present? Late birthday gift?) in this morning. Kept my head warm, and I can feel good about the favor I’ve done the world: someone’s really ugly wool slacks were recycled.

Great event!

• […] I regret that Jane, the artist I featured in my post yesterday was unable to attend. […]

Josh December 8, 2006 at 9:32 am

it may seem off subject, but Stumptown Printers was mentioned. Id like to send my condolences out to them as they are probably the next victims of Specialized’s frivolous lawsuits given they obviously ripped off the “Stumptown” name from the Stumpjumper name.