As cargo bike business booms, Splendid Cycles will move to larger space

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on December 9th, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Splendid Cycles opening party-13
Splendid Cycles needs more room.
(Photos by J. Maus/BikePortland)

Cargo bike-focused shop Splendid Cycles has just announced they will move locations later this month in order to double in size and keep up with growing demand.

Splendid opened in May 2010 after co-owners Joel and Barb Grover (both former employees of Bike Gallery) were bitten by the cargo bike bug. The small (1,100 square foot) shop at SE 14th and Belmont differentiated itself by focusing solely on the bikes that can carry stuff. Since then, Splendid has become the destination for the popular "Bullitt" cargo bike (imported from Danish company Larry vs Harry). Much of their business comes from assembling and shipping complete bikes throughout the country.

Barb tells us they are now the largest Bullitt dealer in the United States (they handle both wholesale and retail sales of the brand) and one of the largest Xtracycle dealers as well. “California, Florida, Connecticut, and even Alaska are a few of the cities where we have customers,“ says Barb.

Splendid Cycles opening party-2
Co-owner Barb Grover (2nd from right)
tells a customer about the Bullitt cargo bike.

Joel says they've seen a huge interest for the Bullitts from other dealers in recent months. "If we don’t move, it will be hard to meet the demand we’re seeing.”

Their new location will be 3,000 square feet and located at 407 SE Ivon (map), just a stone's throw from the northern entrance to the Springwater Corridor Trail. They plan to be fully moved out of their existing location by January 7th (at the latest) and fully re-opened for business at the new spot by February 1st. They've announced a store closure from January 12th through the 29th to focus on the build out of the new shop.

Stay tuned to SplendidCycles.com for updates about the exactly moving date, closures, and so on.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • Matt December 9, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Congratulations guys!

• Brian B. December 9, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Fantastic location and easy to get to from my house. So, are all your friends and customers doing a bike shop move? Let's do it!

• Charley December 9, 2013 at 6:30 pm

They've got customers in the city of Florida? Wow! That's a big city!
    In all seriousness, I'll miss having this store on my route home. I recently outfitted my touring rig with beautiful and ergonomic mustache bars, and the Clever mechanic crew was among the nicest I've ever met. Kudos. I'll also miss looking longingly at their bikes in the window displays as I ride by. Best of luck by the path!

• Jessica Roberts December 9, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Charley, this is Splendid Cycles (a clever shop), not Clever Cycles (a splendid shop).

• Christopher Sanderson December 9, 2013 at 8:07 pm

I like how you put that Jessica!

• Charley December 10, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Good news for me, then! :)

• Portland's One Stop Electric Bike Shop December 9, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Congratulations Joel and Barb!

I enjoy seeing your hard work pedal past my shop around 8x day (current number of Bullits I see a day on avg.)

Moving in January - what a great idea!

Best,

wake

• Scott Mizée December 9, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Congratulations Joel and Barb! I too love seeing Bullitts all over town. And I'm still amazed at how much gear I could carry with a Bullitt and trailer for Park(ing) day in 2011! Full size gas BBQ, PA Stereo system, Cornhole game boards and more! You guys are great. Keep up the splendid work!

• sky December 9, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Glad to see cargo bikes and Splendid doing so well.

• Christopher Sanderson December 9, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Joel and Barb are awesome! Congratulations on your move, and I look forward to working with you on the new Bullitt that I will be purchasing from you! Let me know if you all will be moving the shop by bike, and I can pitch in a trailer or two towards the effort.

• Cory Poole December 10, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I love that I live in a town where people can get mixed up as to which CARGO bike shop is being discussed.

• Xtracycle December 12, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Congrats Joel and Barb! Thanks for being such awesome partners. - Team Xtracycle