Williams Ave businesses plan bike commuter thank you event

Posted by on July 2nd, 2012 at 5:07 pm

In stark contrast to some downtown businesses who have made it clear to the Bureau of Transportation that they have reservations about the value of bicycling, a long list of businesses on N. Williams Avenue want to let the city know that they understand bicycling is great for their bottom line.

Local bike part and accessory company Portland Design Works (PDW) has organized Rider Appreciation Day. The event will take place next Wednesday (7/11) from 4:00 to – 6:00 pm. According to a statement, PDW says the event is being done to “offer a token of gratitude” to the many people who ride up Williams Avenue on their daily commute.

PDW co-founder Erik Olson said, “We watch people ride their bicycles through our neighborhood every day and we were looking for a way to connect with them and say thanks for going by bike.” Olson’s company is located just a half block off of Williams on Hancock. “Bicycles mean business to our neighborhood.”

During the event on Wednesday, PDW will team up with 20 other businesses located along the N Williams corridor to host rest stops where gifts of thanks and other incentives for bicycling will be handed out. A list of participating businesses will be handed at the corner of Williams and Hancock, where people can also enter for a chance to win a set of PDW bike lights.

Here’s the list of Williams Avenue-based businesses that are participating in the event:

• Elemental Fitness Lab
  • Cha! Cha! Cha!
  • Ristretto Roasters
  • 5th Quadrant
  • Hopworks Bike Bar
  • United Bicycle Institute
  • Queen Bee Creations

It’s great to see businesses proactively supporting bicycling. We need more of this in Portland!

Comments
  • Zaphod July 2, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I’ll make a point to show up and likely buy things along with enjoying the gifts.

• Andrew N July 2, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Let’s not forget that Cha Cha Cha was one of the businesses most vehemently against removal of either a parking lane OR auto lane on Williams. Given the bronze-level design that PBOT ended up adopting for the avenue, this Appreciation Day should be done more to offer condolences rather than “a token of gratitude”.

• are July 2, 2012 at 6:35 pm

“most vehemently against” is a bit strong. they showed up at SAC meetings and they expressed concerns. under the “bronze level” design proposed, they will in fact have only one functioning travel lane in front of their store. they support this particular event.

• Scott July 2, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Tight. Add to the list of things that are annoying on my commute home for 7/11:
    -Oblivious cyclists swerving everywhere for goodie bags.

• Lois July 3, 2012 at 7:45 am

Really? Someone tries to do something nice and your reaction is that it will just slow you down and get in your way? Sounds like you could do with a little more niceness in your life before returning to your bunker. Being nice to each other is a good thing. Try it, you might like it.

• Scott July 3, 2012 at 8:48 am

Yeah! Also, let’s all get trophies even if we lost!

Please explain to me, Lois, why you think you deserve a pat on the back for cycling.

Yes, people swerving for goodie bags is annoying, so are suburbanites milling aimlessly around Alberta on last Thursday desperately wanting have their mind blown. I will avoid both completely.

Have fun feeling important!

• maxadders July 3, 2012 at 9:57 am

AMEN!

• Carl July 3, 2012 at 10:17 am

Spoken like someone who’s never tried to convince a business district that bicycling is a good thing. Bravo.

• A.K. July 3, 2012 at 10:35 am

Ah, the manic zeitgeist of the BikePortland posters.

“Whaaaaaaa, no one pays any attention to us and only prioritizes cars! It’s not fair!”

“Whaaaaaaa, they are making some sort of event to highlight bicycling and it that might impact my commute!”

• Scott July 3, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I never whine about cars being prioritized. All the money is in cars, money is your vote, so in the American system it makes perfect sense to me.

I would prefer to be forgotten about and marginalized while knowing that I was responsible for myself any day as opposed to being some sort of step child who has to be appeased with cheesy promises of future infrastructure and a “we are working on it” attitude.

My posts refelct that.

• Carl July 3, 2012 at 2:05 pm

“Nothing that has been added to cycling infrastructure in Oregon was asked for, pushed for, or welcomed by me.” With MLK Blvd mere blocks away, why would someone who doesn’t welcome cycling infrastructure (or events like this one) choose to ride on the city’s busiest bike route?

• Scott July 3, 2012 at 2:23 pm

MLK is my preferred route.

• Carl July 3, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Scott
                  MLK is my preferred route.
                  Recommended 0

Phew! I fixed your first post for you: “Tight. Add to the list of things that are annoying five blocks west of my commute home for 7/11…”

• Scott July 3, 2012 at 1:13 pm

People are good for business. On bike or in car.

• Mickey July 3, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Don’t you realize that every time you ride your bike you are giving humanity a gift, and anyhow, I thought everyone got a gold star whenever they rode in or out of the yuppie hive.

• Scott July 3, 2012 at 8:51 am

PS. This isn’t someone being nice, this is some businesses advertising. There is a big difference.

• ron July 3, 2012 at 11:13 am

Yes, what ever will you do to avoid the danger of a slight annoyance on 7/11? It’s not like you can plan ahead and take another route to avoid the horrible throng of swerving cyclists.

• Scott July 3, 2012 at 1:15 pm

In the same post/sentence that I wrote “swerving” is “I will avoid completely”.

• Racer X July 2, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Plan a counter protest at Cha Cha Cha then! [Robin...to the Batmobile!]

• Ted Buehler July 2, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Cool!

• Gregg July 3, 2012 at 8:23 am

I look forward to supporting each of these businesses.

• Joe July 3, 2012 at 8:33 am

So RAD! I just love events like this

• maxadders July 3, 2012 at 9:56 am

No thanks. Their collective efforts made things worse for cyclists using Williams.

• are July 3, 2012 at 12:20 pm

i am not wild about the proposed redesign, but not much could be “worse” than what is in place right now.

• maxadders July 3, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I’d rather have a bike lane that makes sense. I’d rather deal with leapfrogging busses and a few blocks of “door zone” than the mess they approved. At least the current setup is made more tolerable by keeping a level head and not acting like a cat 6 showoff; the new setup actively places riders in conflict with vehicle traffic. Could not disagree with you more– the changes are not an improvement.

• are July 3, 2012 at 4:35 pm

i was careful not to claim the proposed changes are an improvement, though i think the case can be made that reducing most of williams to a single travel lane is an improvement almost no matter what else you do. my point was the existing configuration, with a pretend bike lane striped through door zones, is very, very bad.

i do not have a problem leapfrogging buses, and i do wish they had not moved the bike lane to the left. i would have preferred to see the striped bike lane removed and replaced with sharrows and enough signals installed to bring speeds down below twenty. but that was not the direction anyone, least of all PBoT, was likely to go.

• Scott July 3, 2012 at 1:17 pm

In design or in the ire it draws cyclist from cars? Ca a green box or a redesigned bike lane tame road rage? I bet in the weeks following the redesign cyclists will experience road rage two fold.

• Jake July 3, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I like it. It is advertising for businesses along Williams. But that’s the point of being a business, attracting customers. And cyclist are awesome customers! I’ll be there.
    (Alberta shops next to do this???)

• Scott July 3, 2012 at 1:30 pm

No. They put signs up not to ride on Alberta. Remember? There are no shops on the greenway on which you are supposed to ride.

Now do as your told and everything will be fine.

• PorterStout July 3, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Showing business that cyclists mean business perhaps increases their interest in / reduces their resistance to future cycling infrastructure upgrades. I think it’s a good idea to show support. And not be grumbly about it.

• jered July 3, 2012 at 2:05 pm

also 7/11 is free Slurpee, so don’t forget to stop by your local 7/11 for your free Slurpee – FREE STUFF EVERYWHERE!

• Scott July 3, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Carl

ScottMLK is my preferred route.Recommended 0

Recommended 0

Thanks.

• Scott July 3, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Carl

Recommended 3

Businesses should attract customers with quality products and good customer service. Not bread crumb trails and cajoling.

• kerry July 4, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Scott. Are you adamantly opposed to bike share increasing? Do you think that cycling should be the sole province of daredevils and messengers?

If not, please be advised that your contempt for anyone slower, more cautious, or less skilled than yourself who might want some facilities is giving that impression.

For myself, I plan to spend a little money on 7/11 (among other days) to make it abundantly clear that persons on bikes are an important part of these businesses’ customer base. Over time they’ll see that it’s in their self interest to support the safety & convenience of their customers. I’m likely to spend more money in retail if I’m not a sticky red spot on the pavement out front.

• spare_wheel July 4, 2012 at 3:41 pm

oh, please. where did scott say that he had “contempt for anyone slower, more cautious, or less skilled”?

i also do not need ANY of the bike infrastructure that has been built in pdx. in fact, i find much of it to be annoying and even unsafe. and while i support increasing mode share via infrastructure, i can understand scott’s attitude. in pdx, fast and skilled cyclists are at best marginalized and at worst treated with hostility. throw us a few sharrows and more of us will fall in line.

• Scott July 5, 2012 at 9:08 am

I have no contempt for slow and safe cyclists. I have contempt for the stop gap and poorly planned “safety” infrastructure.

• kerry July 5, 2012 at 11:58 am

Okay, so I was being snotty. I think that you, and SpareWheel, should be welcomed and encouraged to haul tail down MLK. It’s not cool for you to be relegated to a poorly paved, slower greenway. At the same time, I will never do that (MLK), and I need alternatives. As you say, I need safe rational alternatives, not crap that pretends to make me safe. To me, your opposition to the crap infrastructure reads as “we (all cyclists!) don’t need any infrastructure!” which is patently untrue. I feell like you’re telling riders “man up and ride”…and I’m not just referring to this thread, but overall. So if your message is to The System to do it better and leave the bold riders to their own devices, I think we agree.

Apologies for being irritable. I’ll blame my neighbors for blowing stuff up for the last week and keeping me awake.

• Scott July 5, 2012 at 5:44 pm

To clarify my point, MLK will be my preffered route for that day.

While I do not feel like bike lanes make me any safer, the best route to my area is Williams. It has fewer chances to stop and a grade that is easy to spin.

While I am no fan of what governments offer the serfs, I am not a route idiot.

• Jaime July 10, 2012 at 10:23 am

spare_wheel
    Recommended 1

I second the unsafe part, I recently experienced my first “dooring” riding up the bike lane on Broadway to PSU; I have to avoid getting creamed coming off the Hawthorne Bridge into downtown (or deal with the cacophony of the Waterfront) and fear the right hook every block of the bright green lane on Eastbound Hawthorne while being “raged” against or passed dangerously close when asserting my vehicle status and taking a lane on plain old roads or share-ways.

The more bike lanes there are, the less cars put up with bikes on roads but the bike routes are often unsafe. NE Couch comes to mind as I place I will NEVER use the bike lane. What a waste of money. We pay taxes too.

• Smedley July 11, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Yay! I just won 5% my next purchase at Queen Bee!