Help TriMet name their new bike parking facilities -- UPDATED

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on March 3rd, 2010 at 4:21 pm

TriMet has launched an online survey to help come up with a name for their new bike parking facilities. The facilities, funded with $1,000,000 in federal stimulus funds, will provide secure bike parking at the Sunset, Beaverton and Gresham Central transit centers.

The survey includes several names to choose from, including "Bike & Ride," "Bike Barn," "Cycle Station," and "Park & Pedal." You can also write in your suggestion.

The facilities will have 100 bike racks and will be accessed via a smart-card and will be monitored via security camera. Other amenities will include a repair stand, air pump, and a bike accessory vending machine.

For a bit more inspiration, here's a design rendering of what they might look like (drawing was done in March 2009):

(Drawing: Steve Durrant/Alta Planning + Design)

Take the survey and let us know what you chose in the comments! (I picked "Bike & Ride" because it rolls off the tongue and it's consistent with their current car parking facility name, Park & Ride).

UPDATE - 5:00pm, 3/4: TriMet planner Colin Maher got in touch to let me know that these new facilities will be monitored by video cameras. That should help quell some of the security fears expressed in many comments below.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • Hart March 3, 2010 at 4:30 pm

The pedal hutch.

• Nick March 3, 2010 at 4:37 pm

I like Bike & Ride.

• Gabriel Nagmay March 3, 2010 at 4:38 pm

"Thieves Delight"

I kid, I kid...

sort of.

• John Russell (jr98664) March 3, 2010 at 4:41 pm

While, those aren't bad, would there be any way we could work together to stuff the ballot with a write-in decidedly more awesome? Even if it wasn't what they eventually go with, it might be funny to see them considering something humorous. That's my attempt to give each cyclist a chuckle on their multi-modal commute.

Any suggestions?

• A.K. March 3, 2010 at 4:44 pm

I like the idea of basic repair items, such as pumps, being available at Transit Centers. However, I don't think I'd ever be comfortable locking my bike up at any TC, even if it was in a fully-enclosed locker.

• trail user March 3, 2010 at 4:45 pm

bike vault
    rail jail
    pedal penitentiary
    pedal prison
    ride and hide
    cycle slammer

• Psyfalcon March 3, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Bike Barn, so that you can keep the Bon Jovi song in your head... "on a steel horse I ride." A horse needs a barn!

Best case for Steel over Aluminum too...

• SkidMark March 3, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Boondoggle? How about Hoodwink?

• Anonymous March 3, 2010 at 5:16 pm

One million for three shed?!? O.o

• trail user March 3, 2010 at 5:35 pm

unlock and load (bike thief's goldmine)
    bike and loot
    homeless shelter
    MAX racks
    undercover commuter
    bike, outta-site
    bike commune
    bike shed

• are March 3, 2010 at 5:55 pm

"bike parking." don't need no cutesy name.

• suburban March 3, 2010 at 6:20 pm

PARKING LOT. how's that for greenwashing? How about an online survey to design a better building?

• Aaron March 3, 2010 at 8:26 pm

I entered BikePort.

• Marcus Griffith March 3, 2010 at 9:48 pm

I went with "Bike and Ride". Why make naming something any harder than it has to be?

• Aaron March 3, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Bike and Ride makes no sense, it'd be like calling the Park and Rides Drive and Rides. The "ride" becomes ambiguous as to what its referring to and somebody hearing it the first time would not be immediately likely to actually understand what it is. Bike and Ride sounds like just going out and cycling, not a structure that stores your bike (so you can use transit).

• middle of the road guy March 3, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Rosa Parks and ride.

Cesar Chavelodrome.

• Bob_M March 4, 2010 at 7:32 am

Tim

• Dudes on Ludes March 4, 2010 at 7:59 am

Hobo Pee Place
    Free Bikes for the Taking
    PedalStand

• Brian E March 4, 2010 at 8:35 am

Arg, all that just to cover bikes? How embarrassing for cyclist. I wont even try to defend this one when questioned by my tax paying friends.

• Paul Souders March 4, 2010 at 9:57 am

"Bike Barn" is fun and describes the thing.

re: theft: this would be a big improvement safety-wise over the non-facilities currently extant at Sunset TC.

$1mil for 3 barns does seem spendy, unless they're also acquiring more land. What do 100 parking spaces & similar amenities cost for cars? Do you have more info on the project?

• Scott Mizée March 4, 2010 at 12:35 pm

More info in this BikePortland article here: http://bit.ly/MBfPo

My understanding is that the $1 million pays for more than just these three facilities-- but also pays for enhancements at stations throughout the TriMet system.

• BURR March 4, 2010 at 2:08 pm

boooooring architecture is not an inspiration

• BURR March 4, 2010 at 2:10 pm

'structured' car parking costs something like $20,000.00 per space more or less (that figure is probably a couple years out of date by now)

• mac March 4, 2010 at 3:34 pm

"token effort"

• Dominic March 4, 2010 at 5:44 pm

It is truly difficult to justify these bicycle parking facilities. I felt as though I was living a lie each day I went to work for one.

The beautiful thing about bicycles is that you have front row parking everywhere you go and don't need to park in some out-of-the-way lot, then walk several blocks to your final destination.

How many hundreds of bike racks could have been installed throughout the city for the cost of this ONE location?

• trail user March 5, 2010 at 7:45 am

It's not just one location, it's three. And the $1 million grant money is not just for the structures, but for signage and other stuff throughout the cities.

I'd prefer to lock my expensive looking road bike to a secure undercover parking area rather than out in the rain and eyed by thieves, as would most people, I'd imagine. If secured bike parking gets more people biking, then it's worth it.

Alternatively, people could just get a cheap folding bike and bring it on Trimet. I carry a Dahon on the MAX or bus since Bromptons(the most compact folder) are out of my price range.

• jim March 12, 2010 at 10:49 am