Updated: Memorial plans set for Brett Jarolimek

Posted by on October 24th, 2007 at 12:23 pm

*[Updated 10/24, 2:34pm]
Kryptonite Racks in the Pearl-1.jpg
(Photo © Jonathan Maus)

A service to pay tribute to the life of Brett Jarolimek has been scheduled for Monday (10/29).

The event is open to the public and will be held at 6:30 pm in the commons area of Pacific Northwest College of Art (1241 NW Johnson), where Jarolimek graduated in 2003.

Organizers say the service will be a place for people to get together and share their thoughts and memories of Brett.

This has been a very difficult time for PNCA. The small, close-knit school was already coping with the loss of Tracey Sparling, who was a student at the time of her death on October 11th.

On Saturday, a group of Brett’s friends plan to attend his funeral which will take place in his hometown of Grangeville, Idaho.

Brett will also be remembered during this weekend’s Cross Crusade race. Organizers say there will be a ceremonial lap around the course before the singlespeed race, led by his close friends and Bike Gallery teammates.

*A memorial ride has also been planned for Monday prior to the gathering at PNCA. Meet at the NW Thurman Street entrance to Forest Park between 4:30 and 5:00pm (ride leaves at 5:00pm) to ride out and back on Leif Erickson Drive. (This is a fire access road and is not fully paved. Slick, narrow road bike tires are not recommended).

Comments
  • rixtir October 24, 2007 at 12:24 pm

Two PNCA students in two similar accidents in two weeks? How devastating for PNCA and the biking community.

• Jonathan Maus (Editor) October 24, 2007 at 2:40 pm

Please note:

*A memorial ride has also been planned for Monday prior to the gathering at PNCA. Meet at the entrance to Forest Park on (on NW Thurman) between 4:30 and 5:00pm (ride leaves at 5:00pm) to ride out and back on Leif Erickson Drive. (This is a fire access road and is not fully paved. Slick, narrow road bike tires are not recommended).

• bIKEpUNK October 24, 2007 at 2:56 pm

• yellow spinergys October 24, 2007 at 3:02 pm

Does anyone know if Brett rode another bike; A Bianchi (traditional bianchi green) road bike? And wore a silver ortlieb backpack? I need to know. Thanks.

• Tasha October 24, 2007 at 3:49 pm

I will be there. I did not know Brett, but I rode by where the ghost bike was placed today, with all the candles, flowers, etc. and it was very touching. I feel a deep sense of connection with all cyclists these days and wish everyone lots of safe rides. Let\’s hope this doesn\’t happen anymore this year (or next for that matter!). Peace.

• Todd Boulanger October 24, 2007 at 3:50 pm

This is a \’black\’ month for the PNCA community. My sympathies.

I again would hope the PNCA community would be about to design a functional memorial to both bicyclists and provide a covered all weather bike rack parking area there…with art and such. (Perhaps Kryptonite will help out some more?)

(There was mention of this concept being discussed by the PCNA community at the time of Tracey\’s death…any chance of an update on this from the committee?)

• freaked out motorist October 24, 2007 at 4:24 pm

It would be awesome if the rules of the road could somehow be incorporated into the memorial… I am sure people that are motorists will check out the memorial too and it\’s just another way to make everybody aware of the rules…

• Tasha October 24, 2007 at 4:43 pm

Can someone clarify where on NW Thurman the ride will start? I am unfamiliar with this area. Thanks.

• Jonathan Maus (Editor) October 24, 2007 at 4:49 pm

Tasha,

I believe if you just take NW Thurman all the way it stops at the gate to Forest Park.

• BURR October 24, 2007 at 5:15 pm

@3
    separated bike lanes are even more ghetto than striped bike lanes, and the city doesn\’t have the political will, the financial capital, or the public right of way available to retrofit the entire city.

Since it\’s obvious that the death-trap, door-zone, right-hook bike lanes we\’ve got now pretty much suck, my suggestion would be to destripe the most hazardous of these bike lanes and replace them with shared lane markings (sharrows).

• Michelle October 24, 2007 at 6:26 pm

I also wanted to add that Art Media has planned a memorial for our friend Brett on Thursday evening, Oct 25 at 730pm at the site of his accident on n. interstate ave. if you knew brett through art media or any other way and would like to pay your respects there, we\’d love to have you.

again, our love and condolences to all of brett\’s friends and family. he is so greatly missed.

• Joe October 25, 2007 at 9:10 am

Totaly correct: I just moved here about
    a month ago, im near wilsonville and do alot of riding. Shocked at some drivers on mtn.roads here, they speed up when the see you.. I really wish we could get people out of the coffins they drive. Almost every cyclist just wants to coexisit. Near my house SUVS just dart around every corner.. bad habits cause death.

bIKEpUNK
    October 24th, 2007 14:56 3This could be any one of us any day. I think we should all turn these tragedies into action and push forward with SEPERATED BIKE LANES.

• Paul Tay October 25, 2007 at 10:34 am

You guys already got all the bike lanes you need.

Instead of ghetto-izing bikes into separate, but, UN-equal facilities, call for citywide speed limit lowered to 25mph and American flags planted in the middle of intersections. Lose the red lights.

Before Henry Ford, the streets were paved for bikes. TAKE back YOUR lanes, DAMMIT.

• [...] now, there is a memorial scheduled for Monday, and a remembrance scheduled during the cross race this [...]

• Jeff Guard October 25, 2007 at 5:17 pm

I just want to let everyone know my heart goes out to each of you and Brett\’s family. At the Water Bureau, we take all of these conversations very seriously. We have a large number of people actively engaged in trying to minimize or eliminate the hazards out there. I was the 1st car behind the 1st response vehicle out there on that day. While the scene itself was very traumatizing, my observations of the driver\’s reaction was very disturbing. He was flat out devestated and was having trouble keeping it all together. I asked a PFB firefighter to make sure they got some Trauma Intervention people out there for the driver, the witnesses and our firefighters. Then the next day, I impressed on our drivers at all-hands crew meeting that they never ever want to be in that man\’s shoes. It\’s bad enough that someone loses their life, but the devestation and the loss for that driver are unmeasureable. I have to look at it from all angles. My only goal now is to make it do-able for all road users.

• [...] have spent a fair bit of time this week remembering brett and why i ride a bike. take the time to take a deep breath the next time you ride and look around [...]

• [...] will be in attendance for Brett’s tribute at PNCA tonight. hope to see others there with some bike love, kind words and priceless stories for [...]