Safe Routes to School (SRTS) Coordinator!
Company / Organization
This position requires an energetic self-starter with excellent communication, leadership and public speaking skills that also has a commitment to contribute to bike works’ mission through bicycle and pedestrian education and safety for the communities in East County. The SRTS Coordinator will assist with planning, organizing, implementing, and teaching bicycle curriculum at local schools, community events, and community partner spaces – both in person and virtually. Additionally, they will collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to support SRTS programming and a variety of bike works’ initiatives. This position will be responsible for implementing new bike focused education and safety lessons, while working to coordinate the maintenance of our bike fleet.
Outside of events, in-person meetings and mechanic work withing the shop, this position is remote.
Required Qualifications & Competencies
• Experience building trusting, healthy relationships with people of all ages and backgrounds – Specifically K-8 grade levels
• Commitment to advancing equity and inclusion by creating and maintaining a diverse environment
• Excellent interpersonal skills – Must be a positive and strong role model, have a collaborative, team-oriented work style and strong problem solving skills
• Commitment to non-violence and compassionate responses
• Strong written, oral and online communication skills – Including public speaking
• Excellent organization skills – Needs to effectively prioritize and manage time
• Project management from start to finish – Assume responsibility and accountability for
assignments and tasks
• Committed to personal growth with a willingness to learn
• Self-initiating, independent and highly motivated
• Physical ability to stand for multiple hours and lift/move up to 40 lbs
• Ability to transport self and supplies in a timely manner to multiple locations
• Experience with maintaining and repairing bicycles
• Experience in writing lesson plans and curriculums in order to provide bicycle safety lessons
• Ability to drive large vehicle while hauling a 20’ trailer
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Work in tandem with Multnomah County Transportation Planner and existing Bicycle & Pedestrian Safety & Education Outreach Coordinator to promote transportation health in East Multnomah County
• Help create correspondence with flyers, brochures, presentations, etc. in support of educating stakeholders in SRTS and bike works’ goals
• Develop meaningful relationships with stakeholders and successfully cultivate leaders within stakeholder groups
• Actively work with local school districts, CBOs, and other community partners to build community, collect and evaluate data, support and create enthusiasm in walking, biking, and driver safety
• Coordinate with school staff and SUN program coordinators to discuss/plan pedestrian and bicycle safety education and events
• Participate and organize a variety of community/education activities and projects in East Multnomah County – Including tabling, workshops, training, presentations, meetings, block parties, festivals, and more
• Provide resources for school district staff, administrators, and families to promote walking and biking initiatives, via campaign tool kits, videos, etc. that can significantly increase active transportation culture at each school
• Maintain records/data and prepare accurate reports quarterly
• Communicate and correspond with colleagues, stakeholders, community partners, schools,
etc. as requested or required
• Maintain the educational bicycle fleet and ensure that all bicycles are safe for students to ride
• Ensure that all equipment, bicycles, and tools within the trailer are well-organized, stocked, and taken care of
• Promote safe, active transportation in the East Multnomah County area and provide resources and tools to encourage pedestrian and cyclist engagement
• Provide bicycle engagement events by hosting bike rodeos, bike rides, and other bike- themed events in collaboration with other community partners
Applicants must show at least one (1) year of experience working with groups of children and families, and/or diverse communities – General knowledge of active transportation and bicycles is helpful.
About bike works by p:ear
bike works by p:ear is your go-to repair shop and lead advocate for people riding bikes in East Portland. Founded in 2017, bike works is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit working to create a more bike- friendly community by advocating for safe, connected bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure; supporting programs and events that foster a thriving, fun cycling culture; and ensuring that diverse constituencies have a voice in the development of new policies and infrastructure.
Our mission is to advocate for a world-class network of active transportation infrastructure in East Multnomah County that provides equitable access for people of all ages and abilities. Our vision is a safe, convenient, and seamless active transportation network that connects people to where they live, work, and play.
Travel expected in the Portland/Gresham Metro area for this position.
It is the policy of bike works by p:ear to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, bike works by p:ear will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Please note: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Additionally, this is a contract position – taxes will be your responsibility.
How to Apply
TO APPLY: Please send resume and answers as PDFs to the questions in lieu of a cover letter to email@example.com with “SRTS Coordinator” in the subject line. The job will remain open until full. Email only, no phone calls, please – phone calls will not be returned.
1. How will you use bike works by p:ear’s equity statement (see below) to further advance equity within the SRTS Coordinator position in East County? Please provide specific examples.
2. Please share a time when you’ve provided education/facilitation for kids in elementary and/or middle school.