Tour de Lab September 1st

Weekend Event Guide: Blazers, a bike show, ride for pickles, cyclocross, and more!

Posted by on November 10th, 2016 at 11:27 am

Blazer Bike Night-12.jpg

Let’s fill the bike parking at the Moda Center again! Join us for the game on Sunday!
(Photo: J Maus/BikePortland)

Hi Portland. Has this been a completely fucked-up week or what?!

Hang out with nice people and talk about bikes at Velo Cult’s “Velo Cirque”.

Sorry for the strong language; but America is freaking out right now and I am too. As President-elect Trump and President Obama trade handshakes and shit-eating grins in the Oval Office, there are huge anti-Trump protests happening all over the country, widespread fear and anxiety, and some people feel so emboldened by their leader’s victory they’re assaulting innocent people because of how they look.

Damn.

A nice bike ride might be a great thing to do this weekend if you can manage it.

Here at BikePortland we’ll continue to do what we’ve done since 2005: document bike culture, give you information and inspiration you need to ride, offer a space to have your voice heard, help you plug into the cycling scene, hold powerful people and agencies accountable, and so on. Keep in mind you might notice a sharper and more aggressive tone from me because I’m sick of what’s been going on — on many different levels. A lot of things are broken and need to be fixed and I’m going to do what I can to help with that.

For now, we present to you a list of fun, bike-related things to do. As you know, the simple act of riding a bike can do wonders for your mind and body, so hopefully you have the time to grab some friends and turn pedals together this weekend.

Saturday, November 12th

Velo Cirque: A Modern and Vintage Custom Bike Show – 10:00 am ride, then show is 3:00 to 8:00 at Velo Cult (1969 NE 42nd)
Velo Cult is hosting a new event that will bring together bike builders, collectors, and the people who love them. Saturday will be a classic and vintage theme and will begin with a ride at 10:00 am followed by coffee and beer (and maybe a sandwich). The show will start at 3:00 and go until 8:00. It’s $5 to get in unless you bring an “old school & cool” classic or vintage bike. All genres welcome! More info here.

Sunday, November 13th

Cross Crusade #8 (Finale) – All day at Barton County Park (19298 SE Barton Park Rd)
The Crusade will end on Sunday, but the memories of a great season will last forever. Barton is a classic course that features a big run-up, lots of gravel, and some challenging descents. Fight for those final points and rankings and come bask in the glory as a racer or spectator. More info here.

National Pickle Day Ride – 10:00 am at Woodstock Park (SE 47th and Steele)
Portland Wheelmen Touring Club ride leader Benn will show you the gorgeous rural roads of East Multnomah county — maybe even a pickle farm! — on this 32-mile ride. Expect a social pace, a stop at a bagel joint in Gresham, and other fun times. More info here

Sunrise Corridor Bike & Walk – 1:00 – 3:00 pm at The Missing Link Bicycle Shop (10999 Southeast Main St in Milwaukie)
Join Puddlecycle for a ride to Mt. Talbert Nature Park via the newly constructed Sunrise Corridor biking and walking paths. Ride will be about 10 miles long. More info here.

Velo Cirque: A Modern and Vintage Custom Bike Show – 3:00 to 8:00 pm (1969 NE 42nd)
Velo Cult is hosting a new event that will bring together bike builders, collectors, and the people who love them. Sunday is the Modern Custom Frame Show. Organizers say you can show any type of bike to, as long as it was made by a fully-custom builder who’s currently taking orders. More info here.

Blazer Bike Night/Transportation Night – 6:00 pm at the Moda Center
It’s Transportation Night at the Moda Center and we’re going to make sure that walking and rolling are front-and-center. Join us and our friends from the Community Cycling Center for a very special night. Get your special discounted tickets here. You can also choose to meet up with Oregon Walks for the Rip City Walk which leaves from a few blocks away. Go Blazers! More info here.

Did we miss anything? If so, give it a shout out in the comments.

For more fun events, including great stuff next week and beyond, visit our full events calendar.

Looking for a great way to promote your company or organization? We’re looking for a partner who wants to sponsor our calendar and event coverage. This is a primo opportunity. Get in touch!

— Jonathan Maus, (503) 706-8804 – jonathan@bikeportland.org

BikePortland is supported by the community (that means you!). Please become a subscriber or make a donation today.

Please support BikePortland.

Mark S November 10, 2016 at 11:47 am

Fucked-up & shit-eating? I had to double check that I was not in the BikesnobNYC blog. Wow!

Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) November 10, 2016 at 11:49 am

Yeah sorry about that. I might come to my senses and change it but it felt like the right tone here and now.

dan November 10, 2016 at 12:24 pm

I would say that Obama is handing over the reins with class and dignity befitting of his presidency. Since “winning” the election, Trump has been less loathsome than I feared and expected, though clearly we can’t say the same for some of his supporters.

Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) November 10, 2016 at 12:30 pm

I agree. And I’m glad to see that dan. Let’s hope cooler heads prevail. But fact is, thanks to Trump the genie is out of the bottle.

Spiffy November 10, 2016 at 12:51 pm

he got what he wanted so now he’s happy…

expect him to return to cranky when he actually gets into office and starts trying to get people to do what he wants again…

dan November 10, 2016 at 1:12 pm

though I have to say some of his mooted cabinet appointees could drive me into deep despair. Sarah Palin ?!?

jeff November 10, 2016 at 4:16 pm

read his 100 day plan. the nausea will return.

Joe Adamski November 10, 2016 at 6:33 pm

It was sprinkling when I left for work the morning after the election, and effed up was the mood, for sure.
        But after a couple miles, I am sure the rain helped calm me. My niece posted an observation ” Before enlightenment, chop wood and carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood and carry water”. That was my mantra that day. Chop wood, carry water. And keep on task. This is an obstacle,perhaps. Or a launch pad.

Lester Burnham November 10, 2016 at 12:13 pm

Fucked up why? Cause your guy didn’t win?

Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) November 10, 2016 at 12:29 pm

Nope. Not at all. Because fucked up stuff is happening. IMO

rick November 11, 2016 at 9:49 am

like riots

Spiffy November 10, 2016 at 12:52 pm

he’s OUR guy now…

Robert Burchett November 10, 2016 at 1:06 pm

I’m studying the phrase “You break it, you bought it.”

Chris I November 11, 2016 at 7:48 am

You do realize that Congress is going to gut all federal funding for transit, and biking/walking projects, and Trump is going to sign it, right?

Champs November 10, 2016 at 12:18 pm

Go figure that despite TicketMaster’s warning that you can’t leave single seats, it’s tough to find pairs for Blazers Bike Night at any price. Prices are all over the place on the secondary market.

Noel - Oregon Walks November 10, 2016 at 2:05 pm

Pairs of tickets are available for the Oregon Walks section! They are $20 per ticket and include drink specials at Labrewatory and a walk to the game with fellow Blazers fans/walking enthusiasts. bit.ly/RipCityWalk

Toadslick November 10, 2016 at 12:29 pm

Amen. A-freakin-men.

Spiffy November 10, 2016 at 12:53 pm

as the saying goes: if you’re not outraged then you’re not paying attention…

bikeninja November 10, 2016 at 1:21 pm

This reminds me of when I was in college and we all wore black armbands after the election of Reagan. The one good thing, is that with this election we can no longer delude ourselves that the Federal Government will solve our problems, and we have to do it ourselves. So here is to a new era of local do-it-yourself solutions , on the ground activism and political rabel rousing. We are the people we were waiting for.

• Adam H.
    Adam H. November 10, 2016 at 1:53 pm

Arguing about bike infra just seems so petty now…

Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) November 10, 2016 at 2:51 pm

IMO we’re not “arguing abt bike infra” … we’re fighting against systemic oppression of bicycling and working to reform transportation in America.

Kevin November 10, 2016 at 7:58 pm

Exactly.

Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) November 14, 2016 at 2:39 pm

Want to add to this… I know cycling in America fits the definition of “systemic oppression” — but I also know culturally-speaking that phrase is usually used in a racial context. Because of that some people find it highly insensitive to use the phrase in this context. I get that. I feel that way too. I’m not convinced it’s a good framing to use. I’ll try and find a better way to express this.

Hazel November 10, 2016 at 2:04 pm

Cross race Saturday in Corvallis! http://cxcrace.com/

Tom Hardy November 10, 2016 at 2:07 pm

When trump finishes shipping half the labor force overseas and cuts the last of the taxes to the Uber rich, there will be a larger foundation of bike riders that can no longer afford motor vehicles. Of course they will be in a cash economy since 90% will have no jobs.

BB November 10, 2016 at 3:04 pm

The majority of our “labor force” is already overseas and the uber rich already pay no taxes. Most people I know can’t afford to buy cars much less houses. The things you’re worried about are reality and the reality of it is that things are about to get much worse.

Spiffy November 11, 2016 at 7:32 am

why would he ship our labor overseas? he’s promising to bring it back to the US…

oh right, because politicians lie…

Good Sir November 10, 2016 at 3:52 pm

I welcom the new, more radical, tone.

We’re going to need lots of that after the racist oompa-loompa got elected.

Doug November 10, 2016 at 5:59 pm

I’d like to shed a little realism on this sad subject; President Trump.

I suggest that if you didn’t watch the news (so many of you are so proud you don’t own a TV, rejoice) you wouldn’t have any idea who the president is. I’m sure going to try to find out at least.

I admire Obama and Clinton a president should be smarter than you, I think these two are really brilliant people. I would have drank beer or ridden with either Bush. I voted for Regan twice (I was military) but this Trump guy isn’t qualified to lead a girl scout troop.

Trump is disqualified on 1000 levels. I know people are stupid, I was in the Navy 20 years and I attended WSU, people are stupid. But what are you trying to prove when you vote for a guy you admit you have know idea what will happen and willingly ignores every tradition of our republic we hold dear?

I have lost hope for our republic. As Franklin said when asked what kind of government the constitutional convention had designed a republic or a monarchy; he responded “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Matt Meskill November 10, 2016 at 6:36 pm

I agree 100%. Unfortunately all the lack of qualifications are what made him so attractive to so many in the first place. I only hope this is the last dying breath of the angry white voters. They’ll soon enough be a minority anyway.

Chris I November 11, 2016 at 7:51 am

She did win the popular vote by a decent margin, if that’s any consolation…

• John Liu
    John Liu November 10, 2016 at 6:48 pm

I’m disgusted and appalled by the outcome of the election. On many, many levels. From moral disqualification to hold the most powerful position in the world, to intellectual disqualification, to voter suppression and gerry mandering and an electoral college that produces results contrary to popular vote.

The good thing, if there is one, is that with one party in complete control of the federal government, that party will do exactly what it has been clamoring for, and in four years there will be no doubt who is responsible for the result. When many of the people who voted for that party find themselves uninsured, unemployed, and even angrier than now, perhaps they will get a clue.

For now, we live in a progressive state, and what the federal government will no longer do, we Oregonians can do ourselves. For example, CA OR and WA could together create a health insurance market; we’re not dependent on Washington. And when the federal EPA removes all environmental controls on dirty coal, we can still prevent coal and LNG export ports, and develop alternative energy on our own. The West coast can be an example to the rest of the country.

But for now, I’m just taking it day by day. Today I got through Day 2 Post Election. Every day is an achievement.

And I’m looking forward to the weekend and Velocirque. We did a similar classic & vintage bike show at Velocult the summer, and it was terrific – come on Saturday and Sunday for bike fun and a brief escape from the ugly realities of this week. See you there!

Spiffy November 11, 2016 at 7:38 am

Long live the nation of Cascadia!

dan November 11, 2016 at 10:03 am

While this idea is undeniably appealing, then we’re leaving America to the right. As Americans and residents of the planet Earth, I think our duty is to stick it out, come back in two years and then again in four years to take back the government, and just wait for Texas to secede 🙂

Tom November 10, 2016 at 7:14 pm

The NBC news article is very disturbing, and starting so soon after the election. I was hoping the Hitler comparisons would not be true, but it seems like we are heading down that road already. In the past, Trump said he was not even bothered by the comparison! So scary. Time to think about building that secret room in the attic.

James November 10, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Not sure why you are freaking out. Democracy took place. In another 4 years another opportunity will arise. Its interesting how liberals and the PC police only accept what they accept. Yeah urban areas mainly voted HRC, well most of the landmass in American voted DT. Perhaps they feel forgotten and left our of the system and well now their voices were heard by DT.

In regards to your weekend agenda don’t forget that tomorrow, November 11th, is also veterans day. An opportunity to honor and reflect about the men and women who served to preserve our great nation. Parade in the Hollywood district at 0930. Blazer’s military appreciation night is also tomorrow.

Might as well get this off my chest…If people really want to start seeing change they should start stepping up. Want better infra? Become an civil engineer or planner and infiltrate our transportation agencies from within. Want better government? Pave your way through advocacy, volunteering and running for local office and work your way up. Just tired of all the crying and whining…moreso I’m tired of the flag burning and vandalism thats occurring as “peaceful protests.”

Spiffy November 11, 2016 at 7:40 am

“Democracy took place.”

that’s exactly why I’m freaking out… democracy is horrible, and I’m glad we don’t live in one…

Spiffy November 11, 2016 at 7:41 am

veterans played a big part is getting Trump elected… I’m not so thankful right now…

rick November 11, 2016 at 9:48 am

Don’t want to stand behind veterans? Then stand in front and go help with the Coast Guard, etc.

James November 11, 2016 at 11:13 am

Veterans sacrifice a lot so your able to cast that ballot and live in an urban bubble. They are also there when natural disaster strikes here at home or abroad.

I’d say third party candidates and protest votes played a bigger pat.

Veterans voted 2:1; assuming 21.8 mil vets that is 7.267 mil votes for trump.

Third party candidates received 4.012, 1.192, 0.443 for Johnson, Stein, McMullin respectively. Which is 5.647 mil votes. If you dive in deeper you’ll see the swing states is where Johnson and Stein had high percentages of the vote.

I try not to judge other voters because its all about perspective and we all have our own unique views. I look at facts and to me its pretty clear that no third party candidate had a chance to win. Considering how close things ended up I bet they have a little bit of a hangover regarding their decision to run. If not I hope they enjoy the next 4 to 8 years.

Chris I November 11, 2016 at 8:05 am

Is it really a democracy when the candidate who got the most votes isn’t elected? This has happened 5 times now in our short history. I think our election system is deeply flawed, and disenfranchises millions of voters every cycle. Voting Republican in Oregon? Tough luck. Your vote doesn’t matter. Voting Democrat in Texas? Likewise.

And we wonder why half the country doesn’t even show up to vote…

Eric Leifsdad November 11, 2016 at 9:32 am

The national popular vote bill is something to ask your state senator about. Now, or a couple years ago.

Benton County, OR and the state of Maine both adopted ranked-choice ballots.

Many states don’t have vote by mail and that makes the binary vote / electoral college strategy game far too easy. Half of eligible voters didn’t vote.

Cities and states are going to need to step up and govern.

Portland City Council needs to get fixed. Add 6 district-elected positions (with no bureaus) to supervise the 5 at-large positions we have?

James November 11, 2016 at 10:56 am

Four times actually, 1912, 1980, 2004, and 2014. I wonder what the scenario would be if the tables were turned and HRC got the electoral college and Trump got the popular vote. I doubt mainstream media would be crying unfair and say well this is how our democracy works.

I don’t believe that voting doesn’t matter. In my opinion its voting every time your able to that matters. Perhaps more states need to permit the mail in ballot.

rick November 11, 2016 at 9:47 am

So many entitled people want hand-outs instead of working hard in Portland.

SE November 11, 2016 at 10:29 am

Spiffy
    Recommended 1

what an ***insult deleted by moderator*** comment.

women, latinos, blacks, whites also played a part … not to mention the south & central & east red states.

I don’t like the outcome either, but man up , these are things (maybe stupid) that democracy’s do.

Anna G November 11, 2016 at 10:34 am

Thank You Jonathan for the great work ! I agree that we should all work harder to affect change on the local level, on that note would it be possible to get a “ride with Chloe ” event so we can voice out concerns to her in person ? assuming she’s open to the idea of course. btw its my impression from talking to folks involved, that the local protests are more to discourage hate crimes from emboldened trump supporters that to whine about the election.

Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) November 14, 2016 at 9:03 am

Hi Anna G.

Thanks for that suggestion. I will definitely be in touch with Commissioner Eudaly about a ride. Maybe she’d like to join me for a “Ride Along” post.

As for the protests… It’s not for anyone to speculate what people’s motivations are. I feel like people have the right to respond whatever way they see fit. We don’t critique how people grieve from a personal tragedy… and many ppl are grieving. And FWIW protests have a lot of impact on many different levels. There’s not just one purpose/outcome.

RH November 11, 2016 at 10:45 am

Sigh…the crazy thing is that my wife is Canadian and I’m New Zealand, so if we chose to we really can flee to one of these 2 countries. I feel very disconnected lately due to all the fear, hate, and lies.