Harvest Century September 22nd

Pedalpalooza starts tomorrow!

Posted by on June 8th, 2016 at 5:00 pm

Pedalpalooza 2010 Kickoff Parade-30

A scene from the 2010 kickoff ride.
(Photo by J. Maus/BikePortland)

It’s almost here. The largest bike event of its kind on planet Earth is about to start.

That’s right. It’s Pedalpa-frickin-looza time. And it all begins tomorrow at 6:00 pm with the tradional opening event: The Kickoff ride.

Or if you can’t wait, join the Urban Adventure League for the Sunrise Coffee Club ride at 5:00 am at Broughton Beach out on the Columbia River.

If that sounds a bit crazy, welcome to Pedalpalooza. For the 14th year in a row Portlanders of all stripes have come together to organize a bevy of creative bike events β€” 278 and counting over 26 days β€” that are free and inclusive and are guaranteed to make you love Portland even more than you already do.

Big sale at Community Cycling Center

I have a hunch this year’s events will see huge crowds. It’s a hunch based on three main things:

1) We’ve had lots of nice weather to get people in the biking mood.
2) The BTA’s Bike More Challenge just ended (it used to happen in September), so that means many new riders are primed to just keep on pedaling.
3) People are ready to jump into something life-affirming and positive after what has been a bruising election season and incessentaly depressing news cycle.

Look at the Kickoff Ride, it’s already got 493 RSVPs and nearly 800 “interesteds” on Facebook. That’s a big number for a DIY, grassroots bike ride.

To give you a sense of the insanity that is Pedalpalooza, there are 22 rides on June 18th alone:

How do you choose?

How do you choose?

There’s so much good stuff on the schedule this year.

What rides are you looking forward to the most?

β€” Jonathan Maus, (503) 706-8804 – jonathan@bikeportland.org

Our work is supported by subscribers. Please become one today.

NOTE: We love your comments and work hard to ensure they are productive, considerate, and welcoming of all perspectives. Disagreements are encouraged, but only if done with tact and respect. If you see a mean or inappropriate comment, please contact us and we'll take a look at it right away. Also, if you comment frequently, please consider holding your thoughts so that others can step forward. Thank you β€” Jonathan

William Henderson June 8, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Super excited! I suggest a different title, though. ‘You guys’ isn’t as inclusive as I know we all want Pedalpalooza to be.

Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) June 8, 2016 at 7:21 pm

William, I hear you but I think “you guys” is commonly accepted as a way to address all genders. And it’s also a common convention on the Internet and not intended to be gendered at all.

I’m glad you brought it up though, as I’ve wondered about it myself. I’d be curious what someone who doesn’t identify as a “guy” thinks.

• Adam H.
        Adam H. June 8, 2016 at 7:27 pm

Can confirm, havkng grown up in the Midwest, “you guys” is the Midwest version of “you all”.

William Henderson June 8, 2016 at 8:19 pm

That was my perspective for a long time as well, and for many (and in many contexts) it is probably just fine.

Let me share what changed my mind. At one point I was working for a technology company that suffered from a pretty bad gender imbalance, especially among engineers. My team was all guys (men) except for one woman. On a pretty regular basis, I’d address my team this way (“hey guys!”, “what’s going on guys?”, etc). I never thought much of it, until the female engineer on my team said in the context of a conversation about the team’s gender imbalance that me saying this phrase made her feel excluded. And even though guys to many means “people” and even though women use it this way (even to groups of all women), it totally makes sense to me why she felt that way. So I stopped saying that to my team and ever since I’ve tried to avoid using the phrase, especially in scenarios where there isn’t a great gender balance to begin with. There are plenty of other ways to say “folks”, and IMO alienating even one person with by using the phrase isn’t worth it.

• Adam H.
          Adam H. June 8, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Yeah, that definitely makes sense.

Chris I June 8, 2016 at 8:23 pm

That’s why I always use “Hello, humans.” in my best robot voice.

Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) June 8, 2016 at 9:34 pm

I feel you man. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I feel this context is different, but it’s not worth it to me if it even gives one person pause. I understand how it makes some people feel. I’ve changed the headline.

Julia June 9, 2016 at 11:14 am

Yep! ‘you guys’ is gendered! would it be acceptable to say ‘you girls’ to groups including boys? probably not! so let’s say yall or youse ! or yin! or whatever, people said a lot of good options. it *does* matter.

jd June 9, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Thank you! The argument that “guys” is gender-neutral reminds me of this: https://twitter.com/manwhohasitall/status/727483112016343040
            –JD, female bike guy

Champs June 11, 2016 at 3:06 pm

I very much doubt that your report (person who reports to you) or anyone else would bat (not the mammal or sporting good) an eyelash at someone remarking that a litter (group of young animals born at the same time) of puppies was “a bunch of cute little guys.”

I am all for well-considered speech. By all means, use workarounds, but there is such a thing as oversensitivity. Dictionary definition #1 for “guys” applies to men, but that is not the end of the list.

Jennifer June 8, 2016 at 9:37 pm

At the risk of blowing this out of proportion, or killing the bike fun, I’ll give my opinion. My opinion is that this type of language seems harmless but it actually isn’t. I don’t like that “you guys” is used to address all genders. It’s making male the norm – I wouldn’t call a group of men/women “you gals” and expect a positive response.

I say that, and I’m so guilty of saying “guys” especially when I am excited or passionate about something. Pedalpalooza is something to be excited about, so I say carry on, Jonathan.

• John Liu
          John Liu June 8, 2016 at 10:52 pm

What’s the approved salutation, then?

Beeblebrox June 8, 2016 at 11:06 pm

You all!

mh June 8, 2016 at 11:14 pm

As a contraction – y’all.

• John Liu
                John Liu June 9, 2016 at 12:41 am

We shouldn’t have to sound like pretend Southerners.

Are “you people”, “all of you”, “you folks” okay?

ethan June 9, 2016 at 8:48 am

Just use “you” – as it can be plural on its own. Although, you’ll end up confusing everyone because everyone takes “you” as singular.

• Adam H.
          Adam H. June 9, 2016 at 8:56 am

English really needs an equivalent of Ustedes in Spanish.

John Lascurettes June 8, 2016 at 11:16 pm

“Greetings, programs!”

Alan Love June 9, 2016 at 9:31 am

+30 80’s point to you. MCP approves.

Martha June 9, 2016 at 8:58 am

I absolutely hate being called a guy. I’m not a guy. The male commenters don’t see the problem because they’re guys. The solution? What about “you gals”? I personally see absolutely no problem addressing a mixed-gender audience as “you gals” or “ladies” but I’m guessing that the guys would object to that.

Brian June 9, 2016 at 2:11 pm

I wasn’t meaning to imply that you’se guys is acceptable, BTW. One of the more difficult things as a teacher has been to eliminate the use of the word “guys” where referring to my class. When do I slip up I apologize to the better gender for the mistake.

• Adam H.
    Adam H. June 8, 2016 at 7:17 pm

Come on the SLOW Ride, Wednesday the 22nd and show Portland that our streets should work for riders of all abilities, not just people who can keep up with motor traffic on racing bikes! Bring your heavy city bike!

• John Liu
      John Liu June 8, 2016 at 8:42 pm

How slow is slow?

Cory P June 9, 2016 at 11:55 am

Casual skateboarding speed.

soren June 9, 2016 at 8:30 am

FYI: riding very slowly on carbon fiber racing bikes is an essential track racing skill (see 1:10):

• Adam H.
        Adam H. June 9, 2016 at 8:56 am

We won’t judge if you want to ride your carbon fibre bike. πŸ˜‰

Eric Leifsdad June 9, 2016 at 11:05 am

How slow? Is this a trackstand contest?

• Adam H.
            Adam H. June 9, 2016 at 11:14 am

No, we will be riding at a slow pace on heavy bikes. Though no one will stop you if you want to track stand. πŸ˜‰

Dan A June 10, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Not out loud anyway.

fool June 8, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Some recommended reading about making this year awesome:

Katy Electrician June 9, 2016 at 7:42 am

REALLY looking forward to this! Can’t wait!

• John Liu
    John Liu June 9, 2016 at 9:49 am

If you ride or collect classic & vintage (C&V) bikes, there are three events on the weekend of June 11-12.

On Saturday 8:30 am we are doing the “heroic c&v ride”, which will be about 50 km including the length of Leif Erickson (gravel, dirt); some climbing and descending (potentially on wet road) on Skyline, Germantown, Saltzman; a bit of Hwy 30. It may rain. We may get wet and dirty. Our bikes may get wet and dirty. It’s all about being, or pretending to be, heroic. And wearing wool kit, if you feel like it. Ride is doable with 25 mm tires, but you may not want to bring your most fragile vintage tubular rims, due to the Leif Erickson part. Not a race, will be a no-drop ride, but it will be about 30 miles with hills.

On Sunday 10 am we are doing the “casual c&v ride”, which will be a relaxed, flat, shortish loop. This ride is about looking cool, not breaking a sweat, and keeping the bikes and bodies clean for the show (see next). We may ride as slowly as the SLOW ride!

Later on Sunday 2-5 pm there will be a Classic & Vintage Show & Shine at Velocult. This is a DIY bike show, bring your most interesting, most collectible, or simply most favorite C&V bike (road, mountain, three speed, balloon, etc) and show it off.

What’s a classic & vintage bike? We use the term fairly loosely. It’s something old, cool, a little bit special. A modern carbon fiber bike definitely isn’t, a ’73 Colnago with Super Record definitely is, and there’s plenty of room in between.

See Pedalpalooza calendar for details.

austin June 9, 2016 at 4:06 pm

Those sounds pretty fun, I’m going to try to make it out to at least one of those!

J.E. June 9, 2016 at 10:02 am

I’d highly encourage everyone to try and attend the rides that BikeLoudPDX is hosting. Pedalpalooza is not just about unbridled fun, it’s also about reclaiming our streets, attracting new riders, and demonstrating the potential of the bicycle in our transportation network. We’ve come up with a list of rides ranging from wonky to protest that we’re hoping will help kick off our summer direct action:

June 17: No More 4-Lane Roads!
    Protest ride! 4-lane roads are deadly; let’s reallocate that extra lane to active transportation.

June 21: Transport Your Activism
    Learn the tools of the trade for effective advocacy when requesting road improvements.

June 22: Slow Ride
    Slow bikes (and slow riders) have a right to travel city streets too.

June 28: The 20s Bikeway: A Technical Critique
    Wonk ride outlining where the future 20s Bikeway has already gone astray.

***July 2: New Orleans Jazz Funeral***
    Our main event! We’re memorializing Portland’s traffic deaths by marching from City Hall to ODOT Headquarters to highlight the increase in traffic fatalities. Festive atmosphere, somber message.

Dan A June 10, 2016 at 2:31 pm

NO MORE 4-LANE ROADS! Great idea.

Todd Boulanger June 9, 2016 at 11:02 am

Hi to all those bicyclists new to PedalPalooza…and making it yours…with event planning and promotion and bike fun…

Here is a little history of how it all started back in the last century…before landing in Portland…

and more on-line…

Champs June 9, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Heavy Bike Hill Climb. I’m lining up a bakfiets for this year.

I’m going to ride it just as fast as I please.

Eric Leifsdad June 9, 2016 at 3:32 pm

And a passenger or a keg?

Champs June 11, 2016 at 2:15 pm

I had a cooler in mind, but we’ll see.

Robert Burchett June 9, 2016 at 5:28 pm

Sounds like a Tuesday πŸ˜‰

Wells June 9, 2016 at 1:58 pm

Call me what you’d like, I’m an early supporter of Portland’s light rail system, draftsman/designer effecting Cityhall planning. For good and numerous reasons, I favor BRT for Barbur Blvd the SW Corridor. Barbur buses are comparably faster, most ideal for BRT experiments. Through a forested hillside sadly denuded by light rail. Nor does Barbur really have enough ridership potential in future development patterns to justify high-impact/cost LRT. MAX from Beaverton-Tigard-Tualitin and the Salem trainsets, to me, suggests Portland & Western with 2-track LRT on the side, admittedly the more productive route, least impact, most future rail junctions. Prefer BRT for the Columbia River Crossing I-5 Bridge replacement. Extend MAX Yellow Line from Expo Center a mere half mile to a Hayden Island terminus. From there, a BRT loop system would reach many miles further into Vancouver than LRT. Portland has a year to reconsider Barbur BRT before the you know what hits the fan. We’ve got to implement more transit with better buses, especially BRT and nex-gen paratransit vans low-floors and hybrid/EV drivetrains.

PS: I’m near finished near final draft of a Bikeway on the Morrison ‘connection’ and Viaduct Bikeway arrangement.
    East of Grand, a 2-way Bike lane arrangement on Belmont.
    It was fun putting it together.

jd June 9, 2016 at 2:01 pm

All y’all who organize these rides are awesome. Thank you!

J.E. June 9, 2016 at 4:08 pm

You should give it a try yourself! It’s surprisingly easy. And addictive…