Harvest Century September 22nd

Wayne Naillon is missing. Please help us find him – UPDATED

Posted by on May 8th, 2016 at 12:39 am

Naillon six months ago.(Photo: Carmen Naillon)

Naillon six months ago.
(Photo: Carmen Naillon)

Portlander Wayne Naillon has gone missing and his friends and family are very worried for his safety.

Naillon, who just turned 66 years old last week, is an active advocate for bicycling. He is a regular volunteer at events like Sunday Parkways, he has held a position for the Portland Bureau of Transportation, and he is a BikePortland subscriber. He has done most of his advocacy work for off-road cycling as a volunteer for the Northwest Trail Alliance. In 2007 he was nominated for an Alice B Toeclips Award by the Bicycle Transportation Alliance.

According to his niece Carmen Naillon, Wayne hasn’t reported to work for over a month and it has been two weeks since he has been seen or heard from.

Big sale at Community Cycling Center
Wayne Naillon at a recent meeting for Metro's Chehalem Ridge project.

Wayne Naillon at a recent meeting for Metro’s Chehalem Ridge project.

Wayne currently works in downtown Portland in Multnomah County’s Health and Addiction Services Division. His niece tells us he had recently been scaling back his workload and had been on leave due to health concerns. Wayne drives a Honda CRV and lives in the Lloyd District.

We are still finding out details, but so far we know that he was last seen on April 24th.

If you have any information about Wayne, please email (jonathan@bikeportland) or text me at 503-706-8804 and I’ll connect you with his family.

UPDATE, 5/9 at 1:15 pm: Portland Police Bureau has just sent out an official alert and two photos:

Stock_1997_Honda_CRV_Photo

Wayne_Taylor_Naillon_66

The Portland Police Bureau’s Missing Persons Unit is asking for the public’s help to locate a 66-year-old man missing since late-April 2016.

Wayne Taylor Naillon was reported missing on May 6, 2016, but was last seen on approximately April 25. Detectives have learned that Naillon is suffering from a serious medical condition that may have led to him dropping out of contact with friends and family.

Naillon is described as a white male, 6’0″ tall, 230 pounds, brown hair, and brown eyes.

Naillon is believed to be driving a green 1997 Honda CRV with Oregon licence plates FYWA.

Anyone seeing Naillon or the vehicle is asked to call 9-1-1 so police officers can check his welfare. Anyone with non-emergency information should contact Detective Heidi Helwig at 503-823-0797, heidi.helwig@portlandoregon.gov.

###PPB###

UPDATE: Wayne’s body has been found in Columbia County. No foul play is expected. May he rest in peace.

UPDATE, 5/23: A memorial service is planned for Wayne. Anyone who knew him is welcome to attend. Full details here.

— Jonathan Maus, (503) 706-8804 – jonathan@bikeportland.org

Our work is supported by subscribers. Please become one today.

Brian May 8, 2016 at 8:32 am

Wayne is a great man who has done a lot for the off-road cycling community. Is his car missing, too? Color/plates? Are his bikes missing? It might help for us to get these details to help with the search. Thanks, Jonathan.

Debra May 8, 2016 at 11:38 am

I am told by some mutual friends that his car is also missing but I don’t know the color or plates.

Adam May 8, 2016 at 2:05 pm

His car is missing. It is a Green 2000 Honda CRV. I do not know the plates.

Fred May 9, 2016 at 9:00 am

Wayne is a great guy, a great advocate and has a great sense of humor. I hope he is ok and he is found.

Snowden May 9, 2016 at 9:24 am

Wayne is a great guy, and has been a tireless advocate for mountain biking in the region. If you’ve ever ridden in the Tillamook State Forest, Wayne had a hand in those trails in some form. He always has a smile and a positive attitude. Hoping for his safe return!

I wear many hats May 9, 2016 at 10:44 am

Come back Wayne!

Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) May 9, 2016 at 10:48 am

Just a quick update… The Oregon Department of Forestry is on the case. They are very familiar with Wayne’s work and dedication and rangers and staff from ODF who know Wayne are looking for him at some of his favorite places in the Tillamook State Forest. They are also now directly in touch with Wayne’s family.

Spiffy May 11, 2016 at 8:16 am

I’ll be off-roading in Tillamook this weekend and will be alert for any signs of him…

Aleta Wright May 9, 2016 at 12:54 pm

PUBLIC’S HELP SOUGHT TO LOCATE A MISSING 66-YEAR-OLD MAN (PHOTO)
    News Release from Portland Police Bureau
    Posted on FlashAlert: May 9th, 2016 12:15 PM

Downloadable file: Wayne_Taylor_Naillon_66.jpg
    Downloadable file: Stock_1997_Honda_CRV_Photo.jpg

###PPB###

Sent via FlashAlert Newswire. Replies to this message do not go back to the sender.

ElPana May 9, 2016 at 12:59 pm

Wayne its a great man, I hope he is ok!!!!

Curtis St. Denis May 9, 2016 at 9:34 pm

Please come home Wayne

longgone May 10, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Hoping the best for Wayne. I do not know him, but he seems loved by many!

Melissa May 12, 2016 at 7:59 am

He was found yesterday at peace. We will update when we know about the funeral dates.

Hagen Hammons May 12, 2016 at 6:49 pm

RIP Wayne. You will definitely be missed.

Steph Routh May 13, 2016 at 4:23 pm

Wayne has always been so full of passion and great hugs that it seems impossible he’s gone.

Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) May 23, 2016 at 4:03 pm

A memorial service for Wayne is planned for May 28th in Scappoose. Here are the details.

Cyndi Palmer December 18, 2016 at 7:47 pm

I was looking on line, in google maps for the old group home I lived in on NE 15th ave. and saw Wayne Naillon’s house had been sold. He was my foster father. Living there changed my life. He changed my life. I did a search on him so I could find him, and found the story of him being missing, and the update.
    I went and visited him when I moved back to Portland, 10 years later and we talked. I know he knew what he meant to me. I named my son’s middle name after him. He was a good man. A giant quiet gentle man. I just had to tell someone. Yours was the only email I saw. I am so sad. I was looking for the house so I could send him a christmas card and letter… I did not cry when my real father died… I am crying now.