Esplanade closure begins February 1st

Industry Ticker: Party tonight (12/10) for new Portland Design Works pop-up shop

Posted by on December 10th, 2015 at 10:12 am

Portland Design Works (who, like Showers Pass, designs/sells/markets their products here but makes them overseas) will have a party tonight (12/10 from 6-8:00 pm) at the Western Bikeworks store in the Pearl District (1015 NW 17th Ave) to celebrate their new pop-up shop.

Show up for free refreshments, a prize raffle, and 15% off all PDW gear purchased at the event. If you’re new, PDW is world famous for their smartly-designed lights, fenders, bottle cages, and more. While you’re at the party tonight, browse Western’s awesome store. They have everything! (And they are a BikePortland supporter.)

More info and RSVP at the Facebook event page.

Want more local bike industry news? Check out our ticker archives. If you have a tip or would like to see your news posted in this column, please drop us a line.

— Jonathan Maus, (503) 706-8804 – jonathan@bikeportland.org

Please support BikePortland.

• Harvey December 10, 2015 at 10:28 am

PDW stuff is solid. I have their lights and grips, and they’ve held up really well. It’s nice when things are made state-side, but imagining myself in the (bike)shoes of a small/medium business owner, I’d do what was most effective for my business and to serve my customer base, while being as local as economically feasible.

Remember that, inevitably, mostly people who have had problems with products will be the ones inclined to post about personal experiences. There is literally no manufacturer out there who is immune to defects or isolated issues with a few products. Just setting the temperature before anything weird happens on this thread.

• SilkySlim December 10, 2015 at 11:27 am

Second the quality and design. Their Speed Metal grips are the only part of my bike that has ever received a compliment from a stranger.

• Brian December 10, 2015 at 10:55 am

Great products and very supportive of the local mountain bike scene. I always choose PDW when shopping.

• Todd Boulanger December 10, 2015 at 2:24 pm

What I found helpful on their site is the full list of spare / replacement parts and brackets for their goods. This helps keep functioning gear out of the landfills.

[I always hate it when I have an everyday ‘go-to’ piece of equipment fail due to a small bit* breaking and then the item just sits in a drawer until I can rummage through several shops…assuming I am in Portland or other bikevanna city.

*(becoming more typical with those ‘rubber’ brackets for lights and etc.)

• longgone December 10, 2015 at 10:43 pm

Nearly twelve complete hours on this post, yet no major drama from a disgruntled community member who was denied employment…
    Is this a sponsored post, Jonathan?
    I must ask, you see.
    You do see, don’t you?

• Der Berggeist December 11, 2015 at 9:24 am

“Is this a new trend? Just a month after we shared news of a bike shop in Tigard that’s stocking all 68 products made by Portland-based Showers Pass, another local company has announced a pop-up shop inside a bike shop.”

They’re the same business, just different locations.