Weekender Ride

Wednesday Video Roundup: travel inspiration, emergency potato, rail canyon

Posted by on December 9th, 2015 at 8:39 am

Our first video (above) shows why Corsica is a stunning destination for riding. It’s a very professional video showing road cycling in a beautiful area. I want to go to there.

This discussion of Helsinki’s “rail canyon” is very interesting. It’s a rails-to-trails conversion in the middle of the city. I wonder what the drawbacks are to having a human trail 20ft below the surface level- certainly it’s better for longer rides. It would also be cheaper than commuter rail while serving the same purpose.

This profile of Bend’s Laura Winberry is well done. The shots in the high desert are beautiful. The second half of the video shows artsy shots of bike building, if that’s more your thing. What race are they showing at the 5 minute mark?

GCN’s “How To Ride Your Bike At Night” is a great intro to proper lighting.

I don’t know how to describe this video. I think it’s trying to be funny but also helpful. Always pack an emergency potato.

The “Nature Rx” videos are cute. There’s no bike content, but it’s a reminder to get away from the computer some of the time. Note there are references to the existence of sex in the video.

Finally, there’s zero cycling content in this, but it’s been a travel-themed week, and this videography of Cuba is certainly inspiring. Let’s go!

Honorable mentions: a beautifully shot ‘Bromotti in Manila’ video, how to make Choconut Bars, Bronotti’s flying carpet, RCB on ‘How to Winter-Proof Your Bike’ (heavy on the marketing), and my video of mountain biking slickrock in Southern Utah last week (bumpy video).

Inclusion criteria: If I’ve missed something, post it in the comments! I prefer videos published in the last week or so. Note if there’s a specific point in a long video that is worth highlighting. Also note if there is colorful language. When it gets to spring, I will delay videos containing pro racing spoilers.

– Ted Timmons, @tedder42

• Champs December 9, 2015 at 9:34 am

After dark, I wouldn’t ride I-205, the Esplanade, or the Springwater, much less a “rail canyon” (Sullivan’s Gulch, for example) in Portland. Frankly they seem better to avoid altogether.

Not so in Minneapolis. I rode the Midtown Greenway for years and the most sketchy thing on it is in spring when the snowbanks melt during the day, then glaze over the path when it freezes at night.

The things you can do with earnest public services.

• Spiffy December 9, 2015 at 10:20 am

Minneapolis has had basically 0 population growth over the last 2 decades, it gets a lot colder, and there’s not as much of a draw… their population is now where Portland was 25 years ago…

Portland had about 40% population growth over those 2 decades, is more temperate, and everybody wants to move here…

also, this is the wild west, not little house on the prairie…

• Lester Burnham December 9, 2015 at 11:13 am

Don’t forget city leaders that stick their heads in the sand when it comes to the exploding homeless crisis.

• Chris I December 9, 2015 at 12:10 pm

I think he’s vaguely implying that it is due to homeless people. Personally, I have not had problems and wouldn’t think twice about riding these areas at night, but I can understand why some people have reservations.

• GlowBoy December 10, 2015 at 10:12 pm

Wow, ad hominem attacks on Minneapolis for daring to have a rail canyon. Keep it classy there, Spiffy.

• Michael Andersen (News Editor)
    Michael Andersen (News Editor) December 9, 2015 at 9:48 am

Sshhh, Ted, don’t promote Cuba to all the gringos until after I’ve gone there!

• Eric Leifsdad December 9, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Haha potato. What’s this dutch bike with 20in wheels?

• redtech116 December 9, 2015 at 1:40 pm

Wish some night riders out there would dim there lights to on-coming riders…I am tired of getting blinded / eye floaters from others lights.
    needs to be some max lumens Reguations or manufactures need diffuse the light better on the light itself to pervent eye damage on some of super bright lights..

• Ted Timmons (Contributor) December 9, 2015 at 9:22 pm

such a dilemma- balancing the “omg your lights are too bright” response with the “SMIDSY” risk.

• redtech116 December 9, 2015 at 1:43 pm

and super bright/fast front and rear strobes to be outlawed..

• J4son December 9, 2015 at 2:23 pm

If Mr. Potato Man thinks that puny chain which he used to lock his bike is going to deter any Amsterdam thieves, he is mistaken! Even rental bikes in AMS have two wheel locks AND a heavy gauge chain to lock the bike.

• Lester Luallin December 9, 2015 at 11:15 pm

“What race are they showing at the 5 minute mark?” on the Winberry video:

I think that’s Het Meer at Vancouver Lake. The 5:00 shot is a different view of the same turns shown at 0:39