Gravel - Cycle Oregon

Industry Ticker: New Tanner Goods cycling collection is made in Portland

Posted by on September 9th, 2015 at 11:37 am

Portland based leather crafters Tanner Goods have officially branched out into cycling. I say “officially” because if you recall they collaborated on a set of bags with Cielo Cycles back in 2013. (Also fun to note that Cielo/Chris King’s former marketing guy recently started working at Tanner Goods.)

This is great news. Not only are both of these companies based locally, but like Cielo (a division of Chris King Precision Components), all Tanner Goods products are made “from the ground up” right here in Portland.

See the new collection at TannerGoods.com and learn more in the official press release below…

New Cycling Collection

On any given day in our workshop, the bike rack holds a range of different rides, from classic road bikes to urban single speeds to unholy mash-ups that defy easy categorization. Riding bikes is something we love, whether it’s pedaling in to work each morning or escaping on the weekend to chase a little sun. So it’s no surprise we’ve spent some time developing a collection of bags that fit into the two-wheeled parts of our lives and reflect our commitment to creating pieces that perform day in and day out, and gain character and personality over time.

Our updated Cycling Collection uses various treatments of our familiar canvas cloth in combination with brass hardware and hand-stitched vegetable-tanned Cambara English bridle leather. They are designed to work on a range of bikes, and across various styles or riding, from daily commutes to weekend day rides to overnight explorations. Though they function well as a complete family, they can easily be mixed and matched according to your riding style and needs.

— Keep tabs on Portland’s bike businesses via our Industry Ticker archives.

Please support BikePortland.

• tedder September 9, 2015 at 12:06 pm

Saddle bag $110, frame bag $220, bar bag $150.

Not terrible, really.

• Rob Chapman September 9, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Agreed. That leather and waxed cotton canvas should last a long time if it’s cared for. Plus it looks better and better as it gets used.

• Sara September 9, 2015 at 1:23 pm

I wish the bag, like the excursion frame bag, had a leather strap so I could use it as a sling bag off my bike. I would never leave these on my bike while I left it locked up to run errands. I’d love a good looking bag (like these) that I could attach to my bike, make my trip, de-attach it and wear it as a bag to a bar, grocery store, movies, etc.

• Rob Chapman September 10, 2015 at 9:33 am

Sara, Makeshifter Canvas Works is a local shop that does 100% custom work. I’ll bet Becky could make you exactly what you are looking for.

I’m mentioning this because Tanner states they don’t do custom pieces on their webpage, not to step on their toes.

• Huey Lewis September 9, 2015 at 10:18 pm

I don’t wanna dump on this because these are all really nice looking but there are non-sweatshop made items that are remarkably similar to these and cost a lot less. The only item above that doesn’t have a rival as far as aesthetics go is their version of the frame bag. But Porcelain Rocket (worst name ever) and Revelate make frame bags here in the U.S.

I look at these and immediately think “Rivendell”. They’ve been doing this a lot longer and at a far more reasonable price and all their bags are made in America as well. You can even go visit Rivelo and see the bags in person as opposed to online. Fun.

• Rob Chapman September 10, 2015 at 9:29 am

The Tanner workers I see outside on their breaks don’t look sweaty, Porcelain Rocket stuff is made in Canadia and the Rivendell bags, while very nice, are in the same general price range as the Tanner bags.

Local businesses are worth defending.

• Huey Lewis September 10, 2015 at 10:24 am

Sorry if you thought I was implying Tanner was a sweatshop. I wasn’t. I just meant that if you wanted other bags, made in decent shops, there are options.

Porcelain Rocket (worst name ever) is Canadian, huh. I was sure they were in Utah. Who is in Utah making bags?

The Rivendell bar tube/bag is literally half the price of the Tanner bar bag. Same with their equivalently sized saddle bag, it’s a good 30-40 bucks less.

• Rob Chapman September 10, 2015 at 10:35 am

Gotcha Huey, tone doesn’t come through well in the written word.

I’m not sure who is in Utah making bags, I’ll look it up. I’m a Revelate fan myself but I can see the appeal of more aesthetically pleasing bags for a lot of people.

• Huey Lewis September 10, 2015 at 11:00 am

No sweat. That’s always a problem with these comments.

Lone Peak is in Utah I believe but that’s not who I was thinking of. No one chime in with them. And I agree about Revelate. I have a tangle bag and I love it. But it’s not the classiest looking bag I have.

• eddiearni September 14, 2015 at 2:03 pm

I simply can’t afford that kind of swag. If I could I’d get it. Meanwhile, I go with Jandd, whose frame bags are pretty sweet and rather more affordable.

• Oregon Or Bust September 10, 2015 at 8:38 am

If you live in Portland or Los Angeles, you can go view the bags in person at either of the TG retail stores.