Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on April 14th, 2015 at 1:04 pm
Director of Finance and Administration
Community Cycling Center
Director of Finance and Administration
About the Community Cycling Center
We believe that the bicycle is a tool for empowerment and a vehicle for change. The Community Cycling Center, founded in 1994, is a 501(c) 3 non-profit organization that broadens access to bicycling and its benefits. The Community Cycling Center is an energetic workplace with a collaborative style. Visit www.CommunityCyclingCenter.org for more information about us. We are an equal opportunity employer. Individuals with diverse abilities and experiences are encouraged to apply.
The Community Cycling Center values organizational cultural competency and continuously strives for greater organizational effectiveness. We work to gain the skills and capabilities needed to collaborate more effectively across cultures, and as a result, have a greater capacity to address social inequity, multiple disparities, and effect long lasting change within our community.
General Position Summary
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Director of Finance and Administration will continuously improve administrative and accounting processes and adapt the infrastructure/systems needed to support the organization’s strategic plan. This position requires a hands-on approach to getting things done together with the ability to work well independently. Collaboration with all members of the Cycling Center’s staff as a member of the leadership team will be required.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Financial Leadership and Management
• Prepare timely monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports to the CEO and Board of Directors.
• Oversee budgeting, financial forecasting, and cash flow for administration, existing programs, and proposed new service offerings
• Manage the annual budgeting process and support to department heads in preparation of their budgets.
• Provide timely management reports to the CEO and department heads to allow for management against budget targets.
• Institute systematic approach to tracking restricted expenditures against restricted funding sources utilizing the Quickbooks accounting system.
• Hands-on approach to ensure timely and accurate recording of all transactions, maintenance of the general ledger, monthly account reconciliations and month-end close.
• Coordinate all audit activities and interface with outside accounting/auditing firms to facilitate year-end close and preparation of financial statements. Formulate and administer internal control policies and procedures to ensure protection of agency assets.
• Develop comprehensive organization budget consisting of multiple sources of support and revenue, unrestricted and restricted funds, inventory, and the full range of general ledger accounts using GAAP accounting standards.
• Prepare the organization for annual audit. Reports directly to the Board Chair in audit and compliance matters
• Other duties as assigned.
Administrative Leadership and Human Resources
• Serve as partner to the CEO on the organization’s financial, budgeting, and administrative processes—including HR, payroll, and benefits administration functions.
• Develop materials and work with others to implement training to enhance the skills of supervisors with regard to Community Cycling Center policies, procedures, programs, budgets, and ethics.
• Administer new employee orientation and ongoing training on human resources policies and procedures as needed. Oversee the organization’s compliance with its stated policies and procedures.
• Serves as primary point of contact for employees regarding payroll, benefits and PTO related questions.
• Manage all fiduciary and fiscal responsibilities related to insurance (liability, health, etc) and personnel (payroll, benefits, etc).
• Ensure compliance with workers’ compensation, occupational safety and health, and other rules protecting employees, volunteers and the general public.
• Ensure the organization maintains adequate insurance, such as property and casualty, general liability, “umbrella,” directors and officers, workers’ compensation, and unemployment.
• Manage the organization’s office management, and systems maintenance (computer and phone systems, security, cleaning, supplies, etc.), with assistance existing administrative staff.
The Director of Finance and Administration must have at least three to five to years of professional experience, including managing the finance and administration of a dynamic organization in a nonprofit environment.
The Director of Finance and Administration must have the following experience and attributes:
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance or equivalent experience.
• Demonstrated expertise in financial management and accounting, ideally in the nonprofit sector.
• Excellent people skills, with experience collaborating in a multi-disciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team. Commitment to openness and transparency.
• The ability to communicate effectively with all levels of program staff and board and provide financial information in a concise and easily understandable manner.
• Experience should include full cycle accounting through month end close, financial statements, audit, budget, and payroll and benefits administration.
• Proven effectiveness in finance and accounting with an eye toward efficiency and continual process improvement.
• Experience with benefits administration and other HR functions.
• Leadership development experience, including ability to mentor and develop staff.
• Flexible and a self-starter; able to multi-task while also being willing to “roll up the sleeves” and get tasks done.
• Passion for our mission of broadening access to bicycling and its benefits.
Position Type: Full-time, exempt
Reports to: CEO
Hours: Full-time 40 hour position with the need for flexibility as responsibilities dictates
Benefits: Health, dental, life, AD&D, retirement, sick leave, generous PTO, bike shop discounts, and more
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and references to Jobs@communitycyclingcenter.org