Bike Shop Director
Company / Organization
Community Cycling Center
We love Portland and bikes. So, we put our two loves together over 25 years ago, creating a nonprofit organization on a mission to broaden access to bicycling and its benefits.
Our vision is to help build a vibrant community where people of all backgrounds use bicycles to stay healthy and connected. We believe that all Portlanders—regardless of income or background—should have the opportunity to experience the joy, freedom and health benefits of bicycling. This is the motivation behind everything we do.
In addition to delivering dynamic programs that benefit underserved communities, we operate a full-service bike shop in NE Portland that is staffed by highly experienced staff from diverse cycling backgrounds. Our programs and shop services combined help riders build their skills and confidence; empower young people to ride to school and adults to ride to work; offer educational opportunities for teens to earn school credit; and support everyone in riding for health and recreation. We also collaborate with numerous community partners to generate pathways to employment and engagement within the growing bicycle movement by training new educators, leaders, advocates, and mechanics.
Reporting to the Associate Director, the Bike Shop Director will help create a welcoming, positive, and productive environment for employees and customers who enter the shop. Here at the Community Cycling Center, we welcome folks from all communities and look for others to be a part of that. The person we are looking for is enthusiastic, has a managerial background, knowledgeable about bicycles, and can work with folks from all walks of life. This person will collaborate with leadership and other departments to keep the Community Cycling Center moving forward. This position is responsible for making sure the shop runs smoothly, managing supervisors and shop staff. We want customer service to be a main priority. Tasks will include overseeing timesheets, quality standards for retail sales, repairs and bike productions, evaluation and development of mechanic and retail sales staff, repairs and production performance and preparing the yearly shop budget. To manage these resources, the Bike Shop Director will work closely with the organizational leadership team to ensure successful operations.
• Hire, Train, supervise and evaluate employees
• Prepare employees work schedules
• Engage management team, in developing a budget, maintain direct and indirect expenses, track cost of goods sold, in-kind contributions, sales, and donations
• manage daily cash flow, point of sales system, and donations
• Motivate employees to reach sales goals and provide great customer service
• Demonstrate a strong commitment to product and program knowledge through strategies such as staff training, coaching, leading by example, and a participatory management style
• Work collaboratively with other organizational leads through proactive and transparent communication
• Be a visible and supportive presence in all areas of Bike Shop operations
• Respond to customer complaints
• Manage and assist with ordering, recording, and managing inventory
• Establish and manage strategic goals for the Bike Shop, including production, retail, service, inventory management, purchasing, product pricing, and recycling
• Understand and manage inventory levels within budget and with a focus on maintaining margins and reducing shrink
• Ensuring the shop is adequately stocked, clean, and visually appealing
• Manage and approve shop teams timesheets
• Work with Executive Director to support annual budget creation
• Maintain the bike shop and storage facilities to be a safe, compliant, and welcoming work environment
Education and Outreach (10%)
• Cultivate a culture of commitment to organizational values – Community, Diversity, Creativity, Accountability, and Sustainability
• Work with the development team to ensure the shop’s participation in fundraising activities
• Commitment to assist with training interns and volunteers when they work at the Bike Shop
• Support to the program department when working and having events at the Bike Shop
• Build and maintain relationships with the businesses and residents in the community surrounding the Bike Shop
• 4 years managerial experience
• Ability to strategize, implement, and clearly communicate a vision for the Community Cycling Center Bike Shop
• Significant professional retail experience (preferably Bike Shop experience) with a focus on customer satisfaction
• Demonstrated ability to create a culture that values and respects diversity, inclusion, and teamwork
• Strong managerial capabilities and demonstrated leadership skills
• An enthusiasm for Community Cycling Center’s programs and an understanding of mission-based, nonprofit work
• A commitment to sustainability – environmental, programmatic, and financial
• Basic knowledge of accounting skills
• Solid, confident decision maker
• Enthusiasm for working with the public
• Organized, analytical, high attention to detail
• Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends.
• Degree in Business Administration or related field or equivalent experience
• Cross-sector management experience in non-profit and social venture work environments.
• Fluency in one or more language(s) spoken in Portland’s marginalized communities, e.g. Spanish, Somali, Vietnamese or others.
• Lived and/or work experience in BIPOC or Immigrant communities is valued
• Proficient in Microsoft office suite, Adobe, Lightspeed, SharePoint and POS systems
START DATE: ASAP
REPORTS TO: Associate Director
STATUS: Full-time, Exempt
LOCATION: Portland OR
BENEFITS: Medical, Dental, Vision, and 401k
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume by email with “Bike Shop Director” as the subject line to email@example.com