Director of Diversity and People
Company / Organization
Community Cycling Center
We love Portland and bikes. So, we put our two loves together over 25 years ago, creating a nonprofit organization on a mission to broaden access to bicycling and its benefits.
Our vision is to help build a vibrant community where people of all backgrounds use bicycles to stay healthy and connected. We believe that all Portlanders—regardless of income or background—should have the opportunity to experience the joy, freedom, and health benefits of bicycling. This is the motivation behind everything we do.
In addition to delivering dynamic programs that benefit underserved communities, we operate a full-service bike shop in NE Portland that is staffed by highly experienced staff from diverse cycling backgrounds. Our programs and shop services combined help riders build their skills and confidence; empower young people to ride to school and adults to ride to work; offer educational opportunities for teens to earn school credit; and support everyone in riding for health and recreation. We also collaborate with numerous community partners to generate pathways to employment and engagement within the growing bicycle movement by training new educators, leaders, advocates, and mechanics.
Our goal is to help create a healthy, sustainable Portland for all community members.
The Community Cycling Center is an equal opportunity employer and strongly values diversity, equity, and inclusion. Individuals with diverse backgrounds, abilities and experiences are encouraged to apply.
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the Director of Diversity and People will help ensure that we are meeting our goals of creating a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming work environment, and some human relations within the organization. The Director of Diversity and People will work in tandem with the staff-level Diversity, Equity & Inclusion team to foster a more inclusive workspace. They will uplift the voices and work experience of our staff with an intersectional focus on employees of color, LGBTQ+, disabled, immigrant, youth, and other marginalized groups within the organization.
This position requires a hands-on approach to getting things done together with the ability to work well independently and collaborate with other members of the Community Cycling Center’s staff. The Director of Diversity and People is one of our Director-Level employees and part of the leadership team. Successful candidates will have experience fostering an inclusive, compassionate, and collaborative culture in a diverse workplace.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (60%)
– Lead and serve as a member of the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion team, and provide support to that team as requested.
Work with the DEI team to:
*Develop materials to implement training for supervisors in Community Cycling Center policies, procedures, programs,
budgets, ethics, and how they can cultivate an inclusive and welcoming work environment.
* Help ensure a recruiting strategy that invites diverse candidates to apply for Community Cycling Center jobs.
* Develop goals for representation in our workforce from the communities we serve.
* Audit all HR documents, including job descriptions, through a DEI lens.
– Support the programs team to build a workforce development plan for youth involved in our STEM or internship program. This includes networking with community partners and potential employers.
– Check in with staff regularly to understand how the organization can best support them.
– Identify and develop tools for employee retention, with a focus on supporting our BIPOC, LBGTQ+, disabled, immigrant, youth, or other marginalized staff within the organization.
– Advocate for employee rights and benefits.
Human Relations (40%)
– Administer new employee orientation and ongoing training on HR policies and procedures as needed. Administer exit interviews and review all job descriptions for open positions as needed.
– Ensure that the organizational policies are thorough, up-to-date, shared, and accessible to every employee, and observed.
– Ensure compliance with workers’ compensation, occupational safety and health, and other rules protecting employees, volunteers, and the public.
– Serve as the primary point of contact for employees regarding Grievance related questions and manage our staff evaluation system.
– Meet weekly with the Organizational Leadership Team and manage human relation and mediation issues that may arise.
QUALIFICATIONS & CHARACTERISTICS
– Bachelor’s degree in human resource related field
– Thorough understanding of HR best-practices, state and federal law, and a desire for continued education in this area
– Sees projects through to completion through a multi-faceted approach including delegation of tasks as a leader as well as hands-on work on the ground alongside staff
– Experience leading multi-cultural teams with a trauma-informed lens and ability to bridge gaps in understanding among team members with diverse backgrounds and experiences
– A deep appreciation for the mission and values of the Community Cycling Center, as well as a thorough understanding of the unique and complex community development and social justice issues facing Portland residents
– Excellent people skills, including experience collaborating in a diverse and dynamic team
– A demonstrable personal and professional commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
– Criminal background check required for staff who are interacting with children
– Cross-sector management experience in for-profit, nonprofit, and social venture work environments.
– Degree, coursework, certifications, or other training in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
– Fluency in one or more language(s) spoken in Portland’s marginalized communities, e.g., Spanish, Somali, Vietnamese, or others
– Lived and/or work experience in BIPOC or Immigrant communities
– Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe, Salesforce, QuickBooks, and SharePoint
START DATE: ASAP (This is a hybrid position, working mostly remote, candidate must reside in Portland, Oregon)
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
STATUS: Full Time
LOCATION: Portland OR
SALARY: $70,000 – $75,000
BENEFITS: Medical, Dental, Vision, and 401k
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume by email with “Director of Diversity and People” as the subject line to email@example.com