Filmed by Bike, one of Portland’s most beloved celebrations of bicycling, starts tomorrow! This is the 11th annual festival and organizer Ayleen Crotty has put together what looks to be another stellar event. The street party is bigger and more exciting, there are tons of special performances planned including live art creation, bike dancing, and music. And of course there are eight screenings of four distinct programs chock full of the “best bike movies from around the world.”
Ayleen recently shared a rundown of special events and other fun stuff you won’t want to miss.
The New Belgium Street Fest
- The Street Fest is all mew this year, it’s all ages and goes from 3-9pm.
- Dots Cafe is hosting New Belgium Beer and serving up food in the beer garden.
- Our stage is entirely pedal powered thanks to the Tall Tour Crew, which is Brian Sysfail and his buddies. They perfected this system to be fully transportable by bike, powered by pedaling and also super bass-y and loud in all the right ways. People will be able to hop on a bike to keep the juice flowing (and there will be pre-charged batteries, too).
- The entertainment begins at 4 with live art creation by Time Arts Club, a PSU arts association. They’ll be creating a special piece for Filmed by Bike, accompanied by music. People can watch the creation progress throughout the hour. The piece will then be on display.
- A group of bikers from Vancouver, BC created a dance bike video. Their movie made it into Filmed by Bike so an enthusiastic team of 6 of them is coming down to perform the dance on stage at Filmed by Bike. They’ll also be teaching the audience their moves so people can dance along when their movie plays at Filmed by Bike!
- Love Bomb Go Go, the cool marching band, performs at 7:30.
- DJ Anjali and The Incredible Kid return to Filmed by Bike with their bollywood/bhangra beats that are sure to get the crowd dancing. We can’t wait to have them back; they last performed at Filmed by Bike in 2010 to rave reviews.
- Crank my Chain is hosting the Bike Confessional Storytelling Booth where people can share their bike stories in a private curtained-off room.
- Radio Room is hosting a wild photo booth.
- New Belgium will be custom making hats and beer cozies on site with a heat transferred (like iron-on) Filmed by Bike logo
- Laughing Planet wants people to ride their bikes to Filmed by Bike and they’re hosting a giant bike parking arena on opening night.
About the Films
- New this year, all screenings are all ages.
- We started in August to collect the best bike movies from around the world.
- We curated the 40 films chosen by our esteemed jury into four distinct programs that show in 8 showtimes (plenty of opportunity to get to the theater) across the three days.
- There are no movies on Monday. On Monday, we rest!
- Festival pass is the way to go! Only $25, includes a DVD and grants unlimited access to the theater. Festival Pass sales are at an all-time high and we’re so excited to see so many people come repeatedly to the theater.
- Buy tickets online to ensure you get into the show you want to see – the Saturday shows could sell out.
- Get in Free: A handful of volunteer positions are still opening – this is a great way to be in the heart of the event and get into Filmed by Bike for free.
You definitely don’t want to miss the Filmed by Bike action. It all happens at the Clinton Street Theater (2522 SE Clinton St.) See you at the street party!