Tour de Lab September 1st

A late-night rendezvous with snow-filled streets

Posted by on January 18th, 2012 at 9:12 am

It didn’t stick around long, but it sure was pretty. (Photos taken in North Portland near Rosa Parks Way and Interstate Ave.)

Well, Portland got the snow storm we were all waiting for. Unfortunately (if you get excited about snow days like I do), it came and went like a thief in the night.

It was about midnight when I grabbed my camera and rolled through the neighborhood. There was about an inch or two of snow on the ground and, while I hoped it would stay until morning, I had a feeling it would be gone.

Sure enough, by the time the morning commute rolled around, all that was left was one pile of slush after another (as evidenced by this video posted by The Oregonian’s Joe Rose).

It was fun (and beautiful!) while it lasted.

I hope you got a chance to enjoy the fluffy white stuff. If you didn’t, and you are jonesing to try out your ziptied tires, I’m sure we haven’t seen the last of it.

Please support BikePortland.

Nick V January 19, 2012 at 6:32 am

Great pics! Here in Seattle, we’re getting freezing rain until at least noon over yesterday’s 5 inches of snow. We’re ready for slush!

Spiffy January 19, 2012 at 7:29 am

there was still a bit of snow in SE on Wednesday morning, but it was pretty slushy underneath… soon as I stepped on the porch I went back inside and put on boots… then I waited for the bus to be 25 minutes late and miss my connector…

PomPilot January 19, 2012 at 8:08 am

Down at my, southern, end of the state, I awoke to a very light dusting of snow on Tuesday. Alas, it was gone by the time the coffee was done brewing. 🙁

Pat January 19, 2012 at 8:14 am

Great shots – any chance you can release full wallpapers of these? I’d love this for my desktop background!

Smitty January 19, 2012 at 9:04 am

I too went for a midnight ride in the snow the other day. There were quite a few people out enjoying it (relatively speaking for midnight). In the morning my kids were super excited to see the occasional snowman standing on otherwise mostly green lawns.

Natalie January 19, 2012 at 9:19 am

Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing.

Robert Watling January 19, 2012 at 9:32 am

Great photos. Thanks. And thanks for the suggestion of zip ties and info and photo of tire chains for bikes. I stopped in at Crank the other morning and asked about tire chains. The gentleman was very helpful and told me that for the one or two days a year one might need them, they don’t stock them. He suggested zip ties too so I went home and put the zip ties on my rear tire and then got to thinking. I have a steep hill down SE 26th to Belmont going to work and another coming home and I just didn’t feel comfortable using only my front brakes on ice or snow so I took the bus. I had good intentions though.

Steve January 19, 2012 at 10:01 am